Notices
Evo Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein B6-HD Vs Bilstein B8

 
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:23 AM
  #16  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred View Post
Are you gonna try to reach a more helpful person there? Would be interesting to compare the valving numbers to the factory MR Bilsteins.
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but isn't that info in his post? he is doing a B6 (HD MR Bilsteing shock strut)/B8 Sport shock strut comparison. The valving #'s are in his post...

B6/B8

FRONT

Free Length: 19.35/18.7
Compressed Length: 13.35/13.39
Compression Valving: 58/60
Rebound Valving: 150/126


Rear
Free Length: 21.73/21.14
Compressed Length: 15.96/15.96
Compression Valving: 96/96
Rebound Valving: 147/147
Kapok6 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:37 AM
  #17  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (8)
 
03whitegsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,001
Recieved 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Meh, they aren't shorter so I could care less. I was interested more for a coilover conversion purpose.
03whitegsr is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:52 AM
  #18  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (50)
 
mrfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tri-Cities, WA // Portland, OR
Posts: 9,620
Recieved 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapok6 View Post
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but isn't that info in his post? he is doing a B6 (HD MR Bilsteing shock strut)/B8 Sport shock strut comparison. The valving #'s are in his post...
HDs are not the stock MR Bilsteins. From what I have read the HDs have firmer damping.

FYI - Ohlins also makes a damper for use with stock style springs, i.e., not coilovers. I think they can do whatever valving you want. A set is a bit spendy though - last I checked a few years ago, it was around $1800.
mrfred is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:17 PM
  #19  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred View Post
HDs are not the stock MR Bilsteins. From what I have read the HDs have firmer damping.

FYI - Ohlins also makes a damper for use with stock style springs, i.e., not coilovers. I think they can do whatever valving you want. A set is a bit spendy though - last I checked a few years ago, it was around $1800.
What is Bilsteins part #'s for the stock Evo Bilsteins then?

Bilstein only Has B6-HD, B8-SP, and B16-PSS9

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=AWD

And Tire Rack shows the HD's as the replacement shock/strut for the MR...

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...6&autoModClar=


Are these the Ohlins you are referring to?

http://www.maperformance.com/works-h...nsion-evo.html
Kapok6 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
  #20  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (50)
 
mrfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tri-Cities, WA // Portland, OR
Posts: 9,620
Recieved 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapok6 View Post
What is Bilsteins part #'s for the stock Evo Bilsteins then?

Bilstein only Has B6-HD, B8-SP, and B16-PSS9

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=AWD

And Tire Rack shows the HD's as the replacement shock/strut for the MR...

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...6&autoModClar=


Are these the Ohlins you are referring to?

http://www.maperformance.com/works-h...nsion-evo.html
The HDs are different in appearance, and I have read that they have different damping characteristics, so I wouldn't call them the factory MR struts/shocks. I doubt Bilstein sells the factory MR struts/shocks directly, so not surprising that you can't find a Bilstein PN.

Those are the Ohlins, but they can be had without the Works Ride springs from places like GTWorx.

Last edited by mrfred; Jun 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
mrfred is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
  #21  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (7)
 
9!'clipseDOHC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 324
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to add, the MR Bilstiens are indeed different from the HD's.
9!'clipseDOHC is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
  #22  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9!'clipseDOHC View Post
Just to add, the MR Bilstiens are indeed different from the HD's.
How come no one seems to sell the direct OE Bilstein replacement shocks/struts if indeed the HD's are not what they came with? Every Evo Bilstein search I have done returns the HD's as the replacements. Do you have to buy the OE Bilsteins for the MR through Mitsubishi?
Kapok6 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:12 PM
  #23  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (50)
 
mrfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tri-Cities, WA // Portland, OR
Posts: 9,620
Recieved 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapok6 View Post
How come no one seems to sell the direct OE Bilstein replacement shocks/struts if indeed the HD's are not what they came with? Every Evo Bilstein search I have done returns the HD's as the replacements. Do you have to buy the OE Bilsteins for the MR through Mitsubishi?
Seems to be the case.
mrfred is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:17 PM
  #24  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (7)
 
9!'clipseDOHC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 324
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapok6 View Post
How come no one seems to sell the direct OE Bilstein replacement shocks/struts if indeed the HD's are not what they came with? Every Evo Bilstein search I have done returns the HD's as the replacements. Do you have to buy the OE Bilsteins for the MR through Mitsubishi?
Exactly. And with a $682 per (front) MSRP price tag, its no wonder you don't see them for sale new, you'd have to be retarded to spend that on a single MR strut when you can get the HD's for a fraction of the price.

Bilstein B6-HD Vs Bilstein B8-image.jpg
9!'clipseDOHC is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:02 PM
  #25  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Antigua
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are the part numbers for the MR OEM Bilstein. Part # Front: MN101890 / Rear: MN101899.
They are available at oemmitsubishiparts.com or lancershop.com
archie106 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:50 PM
  #26  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by archie106 View Post
These are the part numbers for the MR OEM Bilstein. Part # Front: MN101890 / Rear: MN101899.
They are available at oemmitsubishiparts.com or lancershop.com
Yeah, fk that noise.

So I guess a better question than the one originally posed would be, "how to the OEM MR Bilsteins, B6-HD's, and B8-SP's all compare to each other?" I was under the impression that the HD's were what came on the MR's, but seeing as how that is incorrect, how do the stock compare to HD?
Kapok6 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:25 AM
  #27  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Antigua
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapok6 View Post
Yeah, fk that noise.

So I guess a better question than the one originally posed would be, "how to the OEM MR Bilsteins, B6-HD's, and B8-SP's all compare to each other?" I was under the impression that the HD's were what came on the MR's, but seeing as how that is incorrect, how do the stock compare to HD?
Here is a good read to answer your question:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-comments.html
archie106 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:01 AM
  #28  
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (35)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Columbia, Maryland
Posts: 3,583
Likes: 0
Recieved 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bilstein MRs are only available from Mitsubishi....and ridiculously expensive.

Bilstein HDs are available from numerous sources (including us). Very slight appearance differences compared to MR, very close in valving but not exactly the same. A hair firmer IIRC but my shock dyno plot for both was on my laptop that was stolen 4 years ago when we were developing our GTWORX springs.

Bilstein Sports....well I have no idea . Definitely new to me. I'll do some digging, might be able to get a shock dyno plot for you guys but no promises. I'll see what I can do.

- Andy
GTWORX.com is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:52 AM
  #29  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com View Post
Bilstein MRs are only available from Mitsubishi....and ridiculously expensive.

Bilstein HDs are available from numerous sources (including us). Very slight appearance differences compared to MR, very close in valving but not exactly the same. A hair firmer IIRC but my shock dyno plot for both was on my laptop that was stolen 4 years ago when we were developing our GTWORX springs.

Bilstein Sports....well I have no idea . Definitely new to me. I'll do some digging, might be able to get a shock dyno plot for you guys but no promises. I'll see what I can do.

- Andy
Yeah, I would be interested in seeing how they compare as I will be purchasing Evo shocks/struts for my 91 GSX and I am needing to decide between the B6 and the B8's.
Kapok6 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:36 AM
  #30  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty set on pulling the trigger on some B8's next week.

Any suggestions on springs? I have been reading on here and come to the conclusion that the prokits give the best drop and DD use.

Thoughts?
Kapok6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bilstein B6-HD Vs Bilstein B8


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.