Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Spring Rate Chart

Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all

For what it's worth changing springs only is NOT the thing to do IMHO. I did tons of research and despite 20 people telling me that the Eibach springs are "progressive" and would be perfect for me. Not the case. The stock springs are matched to the struts. I think we all know that. Mits spent plenty of time to make the rates and spring length correct etc. I now have the Eibachs installed with stock struts and it is the worst. It is obvious I lost travel with the shorter springs. Imagine the car being 25% stiffer than it was stock but without correct dampening. On anything but the smoothest roads it won't keep the rubber in contact with the road. I am in the process of putting my stock springs back on and winter tires and will deal with coilovers in the spring. I just thought I would warn someone else. This info was confirmed through John at Roadrace Engineering as well. So unless someone has a better idea I wouldn't recommend it-

Last edited by Michael Adair; Dec 2, 2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Adair
For what it's worth changing springs only is NOT the thing to do IMHO. I did tons of research and despite 20 people telling me that the Eibach springs are "progressive" and would be perfect for me. Not the case. The stock springs are matched to the struts. I think we all know that. Mits spent plenty of time to make the rates and spring length correct etc. I now have the Eibachs installed with stock struts and it is the worst. It is obvious I lost travel with the shorter springs. Imagine the car being 25% stiffer than it was stock but without correct dampening. On anything but the smoothest roads it won't keep the rubber in contact with the road. I am in the process of putting my stock springs back on and winter tires and will deal with coilovers in the spring. I just thought I would warn someone else. This info was confirmed through John at Roadrace Engineering as well. So unless someone has a better idea I wouldn't recommend it-
Did you alight your car immediately after you installed the springs? Changing the springs will change the geometry of your suspension so you'll need to get your toe and camber adjusted back to spec.

RRE themselves recommend the Eibach Prokits. I have them and I'm pleased by the performance gains.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

How can you tell from inside a car that the rubber is not in contact with the road?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BJai02
I tried to replicate the sitting position of the car and how I hold my camera. It was just the shadow that I could not avoid at the time I took the "H&R" picture.
Here is a pic of my stock car and after I installing the spring. I took the "after" picture almost a month ago... just about 1 week after the installation.

Old Dec 2, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scott88vr6
How is the ride on these?
It is sure stiffer than stock. It is very similar to Tanabe GF springs, may be just a tad stiffer.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

I have not had the car re-aligned or cambered etc... I would be shocked if it made enough differance. What is the deal with the bump stops?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not had the car re-aligned or cambered etc... I would be shocked if it made enough differance. What is the deal with the bump stops?
Dude, your initial impressions of the spring performance is totally off. Get your car aligned then come back and tell us how you like them. Alignments can make the biggest difference in a car's handling characteristics.

BTW, per I did not cut the bump stops per the instructions. I don't have any problems with bottoming out and I drive on some pretty rough roads in the city.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I sure and the hell are not bottoming out. I have set up cars for trackdays and understand camber caster and trail. What I am describing is losing contact with the road which makes you slow. There is a lack of suspension travel. Do you follow?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
BTW, per I did not cut the bump stops per the instructions. I don't have any problems with bottoming out and I drive on some pretty rough roads in the city.
I would cut the bumpstop according to the instruction. You don't hit the bumpstop in city rough road, but you are more likely to ride on teh bumpstop when you are cornering and hitting a ditch or bump. The car lose so much grip when it runs out of travel in situation like that.

On the other hand, modifying the bumpstop risks yourself blowing the shocks. But I haven't heard anyone had blown one in EVOs yet.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

My advice is to modify the bumpstop while you have the suspension out, but forget about it if it is already installed. Most people won't even notice the difference.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Bj,

The springs are already in. I think I am still going back to the stock springs. I will deal with it later. I will however sell the Eibachs for a great price and ship for n/c-
Old Jan 10, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
The numbers that JIC lists for the FLTA2 on their web site is different than the numbers that you have. http://www.jic-magic.com/Library/sus...a2susp_app.htm They show 8 front and 7 rear. That comes out to 447 lb-in front and 391 in the rear. Maybe the numbers that you have are for the springs that RRE uses, but they are not the ones listed on the web site.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Thats because JIC includes different spring rates on their coilover from batch
to batch... That's what I was told talking to different JIC vendors and JIC USA
themselves.

Always ask for the spring rates included on the coilover when buying JICs.

Originally Posted by nj1266
The numbers that JIC lists for the FLTA2 on their web site is different than the numbers that you have. http://www.jic-magic.com/Library/sus...a2susp_app.htm They show 8 front and 7 rear. That comes out to 447 lb-in front and 391 in the rear. Maybe the numbers that you have are for the springs that RRE uses, but they are not the ones listed on the web site.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JT-KGY
Thats because JIC includes different spring rates on their coilover from batch
to batch... That's what I was told talking to different JIC vendors and JIC USA
themselves.

Always ask for the spring rates included on the coilover when buying JICs.
Did JIC give you any reasons for doing that? What is the most common rate that the JICs come with? And are the struts shortened or not?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 06:26 PM

By the way, the rates for the rs-r springs are wrong according to rs-r's website www.rs-r.com/products/suspension
The rates for both the Ti springs and the Down springs for the EVO are the same, the onyl difference is the weight of the springs, and the price. Here's the correct figures
Front(in) Rear(in) Front(lb) Rear(lb)
Evo VIII 1.4 0.8 246 325

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring Rate Chart