Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension clunking and Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Suspension clunking and Steering issues

I have read all the other suspension clunking threads but my problem is different.

So I have the dreaded suspension clunk 03 VIII, 105k miles. Bought the car in 2004 with 32k miles and it already had Tein S-techs on stock struts.

When going over bumps, it clunks pretty hard, driver's side front. Took off wheel and inspected everything, swaybar shifted just a little, but nothing seemed loose or troublesome. Didn't see any oil on shaft of struts, put wheel back on and everything was fine for a couple of days, then clunking again.

Here's where mine tends to stray from all the other suspension clunking threads.

Steering seems to be acting funny, in curves, to the left, no issues. I turn the wheel, everything is constant and normal, occasional thunk. But when steering to the right, it seems like I will put input into the steering wheel, then it will seem to stop curving and then all of a sudden jerk to the right. Definately feels unsafe, quick reflexes needed to keep the car in my lane. I had this happen twice on the way home from work, I put the car in the garage, and there it still sits. Turns aren't a problem, turns fine, but the long curves are where the car seems unsettled/unsafe.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this to happen. I really don't want to spend massive amounts of money on "unable to duplicate". I don't think that the swaybar would cause differences in steering response or cause the jerk to the right that I have, but all input is appreciated.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clunking sound is a blown strut. I was using the tein springs and blew out two driver side shocks and now I have the swift spec r springs and haven't blown another shock since (knock on wood) I had the exact same everything you just described. Lift the car and it goes away for a day or two. Changed the shock and noise was gone for good. The odd steering issue could be related to the blown strut but from the way you explain it to me it sounds like it could be the lower ball joint on its way out too. Good luck.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking. Oh well, time to dip into the bank account.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:14 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YEah, get rid of those Tein springs for something better. Also, with your mileage, check the shock mounts to make sure the bearings are still good.