Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Brake Poll - warping and pad type?
Not Warped - Aftermarket Pads
7.80%
Not Warped - Stock Pads
46.10%
Warped - Aftermarket Pads
7.80%
Warped - Stock Pads
38.30%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Poll - warping and pad type

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The parking brake is a major reason for warping. especially when used after brakes are hot. Even a large amount of pressure on the front brakes will cause warping when there hot. When stoped keep your foot of the brake or slightly depress. The more pressure when in a neutral position the more problem. And when you park your car don't use the e-brake. Put it in first gear. And if your brakes are hot, drive slowly for a minute or two to let lem cool off.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by erioshi
But with 11 responses out of 84 views, it appears most Evo owners must not use their brakes much.
If it's a performance question, put it in the Motorsports forum, this "tires/wheels/suspension/brakes" forum is mostly about the "bling".
Old Apr 13, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Interestingly enough, the parking brake doesn't actually use the disk pads. It has it's own set of brake shoes it uses on the drum in the center of the rear disks.

One possibility is that while my car was sitting, the space between my pads and rotors oxidized differently than than the exposed disk area. This seems more likely.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Stock pads and rotors with no warping here. We'll see in a few thousand more miles, but I'm optimistic. :-)
Old Apr 16, 2004, 04:35 AM
GDB
Evolving Member

Stock pad, after a few track days, warped.

Changed to Project Mju 0-500C pads, ONE track day, warping disappears

Evo brakes aren't too good though, IMHO. As in, compared to its handling and power potential, the brakes are not in the same vein.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

10k and my brakes are perfect. I do hate all of the dust and the rotors show wear but perhaps that's to be expected with the cheap but agressive stock pads. I and going to up grade rotors and pads at the same time. I have noticed that when I wash my car the rotors rust immediately (before I can dry the car). If I do not move the car the pads will stick to the rotors and "pop" loose when I start to drive. The rust takes a couple of stops to clear up. I have never had this happen with any other car.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Dragon41673
Well...I just took my EVO out of the garage last weekend...it's been sitting since November...hasn't been driven. Guess what....my rotors are warped AGAIN!!! This is the 3rd friggin time. Mitsu won't warranty it saying I drive like an *** and beat on the car. I HATE MITUSBISHI!!! The first 2 times...I was driving it. This time it sat for months NOT driven!
they have to replace them... it under the magnuson-moss warranty act... tell them to stick it up there pie holes....
Old Apr 18, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I just got back from 2 track days this weekend at Putnam Park and had some mixed results. I have the stock rotors and aftermarket pads. They are Project MU pads....i forget the model number..but its their street/sport pad. Anyways I made it through all of the first day and most of the 2nd. The project Mu pads wear wearing very well...and peforming well. I started feeling vibration in the steering wheel..then is just kept getting worse. My instructor (this was a racing school) started to feel it too just sitting int he passenger seat. We drove off the track then drove slow for awhile to let the brakes cool off. He thought they were warped...i did too. Then after the brakes were cool and had sat around for approx. an hour the warped feeling was entirely gone. I told my instructor and he said that it was likely as the rotors cooled that they returned to the normal state, but would warp once again as soon as they got real hot. He suggested using those rotors for the street, but said to get new front ones for the track because they were probably not good enough anymore...anyone have any thoughts what the hell happened?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

On a side note the project MU pads are very good about not dusting much at all....which my instuctor indicated might be part of the problem...that dusting was actually a way the pad disapates heat.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

need answers...BUMP!
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Hi Killa, After looking at the numbers on the poll, I'm beginning to believe that driving style may make more of a difference than the pad type. Pad choice doesn't seem to dictate rotor failure.

I know someone who's driving on a set of Tarox(?) rotors without problems and has used them on several track days. I think they might be available through either StopTech or RacerShop. I'm not sure what other high performance rotors people have been using.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I've finally got some shuddering when I brake ... was perfect until about 15k miles. Haven't tried the repeated hard stops to get rid of it, though. I did look at my pads, and they really aren't that worn yet, so I will probably live with the current setup until spring time, at which point I'll probably put Hawk HP Plus pads on it.

l8r)
Old Sep 28, 2004, 03:20 PM

I chose "warped-stock pads". But I just got this resolved today at the dealership.
They tried cutting them but no such luck after doing so. So the front rotors were replaced under warr. Good to go. Take advantage of that warranty!!! Btw, 6500 mi.

oh and Dragon41673, listen to Grod101. He is absolutely right. If the current dealership you go for service wont replace em & you wanna save the hassle, just go to another mitsu dealer...there's bound to be a decent one around.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only times I've experienced any vibration under braking has gone away. I'm assuming it's pad transfer.

Stock pads, rotors and 24,000 miles - with trips to autocross events and 2 drag events.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 07:19 PM

Question

Just noticed mine the other day. At 60-70+ mph if I lightly step on the brake the car shudders pretty badly, but if I continue to press harder on the brake pedal it goes away and stops smoothly. It only shudders at 60-70+ with a light press to the pedal. ~8000 miles on the car and its all stock. Anyone have any ideas about my specific problem? I suppose i'm off to the dealer this week to see what they'll say.