Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Brake Poll - warping and pad type?
Not Warped - Aftermarket Pads
7.80%
Not Warped - Stock Pads
46.10%
Warped - Aftermarket Pads
7.80%
Warped - Stock Pads
38.30%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Poll - warping and pad type

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Poll - warping and pad type

My car is fine, but I'm wondering how other people are doing. I'm also interested in seeing how stock vs. aftermarket brake pads play into this issue.

I've got 21K on my car with stock rotors and aftermarket pads - no problems.

Last edited by erioshi; Mar 23, 2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 02:46 PM
TDC
In Timeout

I havent taken my carbotech XP8s off for nearly 3 weeks
Old Mar 23, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There isn't a poll answer for "Warped - Aftermarket AND Stock" so I picked "Warped - Aftermarket."

I had issues with both. Now that I have new rotors, the problem is gone. *knocks on wood* I am currently running aftermarket pads, and have had my current set up for about 4000 miles.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by naucrx
There isn't a poll answer for "Warped - Aftermarket AND Stock" so I picked "Warped - Aftermarket."

I had issues with both. Now that I have new rotors, the problem is gone. *knocks on wood* I am currently running aftermarket pads, and have had my current set up for about 4000 miles.
Thanks for the info! I was hoping to find out if drivers with stock pads are more likely to warp their rotors. But with 11 responses out of 84 views, it appears most Evo owners must not use their brakes much.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

i had my stock pads and rotors replaced at 7,500 miles due to shuddering and 1 attempt at the dealer in shaving the rotors. i should start looking into new pads. cuz i know something is going to happen again. need some ferrodo anybody got some for free.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Well...I just took my EVO out of the garage last weekend...it's been sitting since November...hasn't been driven. Guess what....my rotors are warped AGAIN!!! This is the 3rd friggin time. Mitsu won't warranty it saying I drive like an *** and beat on the car. I HATE MITUSBISHI!!! The first 2 times...I was driving it. This time it sat for months NOT driven!
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by naucrx

I had issues with both.
I'm in the same boat. My original pads were constantly "warping" (giving uneven pad transfer), but I could usually clear it up with a hard stop or two. That and the dust were annoying though, so I went to Carbotech Bobcats, which didn't give any warp symptoms until the last few weeks, after probably around 10k miles. It may have had something to do with me practicing left-foot braking in anticipation of AX season, but I'm not sure. I got my rotors turned this week, so we will see how things go this time around...

JW
Old Apr 10, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
make sure its not just brake pad build up, this will also cause the rotors to "feel" worped, or give the dealer the idea they are warped since they are retards. I had this problem upgrade your pads and see how that works.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Yup, I think that's usually the issue with the Evo's is the pad transfer. Even if you have the rotors turned it will ususaly come back after a few thousand miles if you don't ever do a few hard slowdowns (don't ever come to a complete stop while doing this or you'll make it worse).
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

I had bad pad transfer with stock pads. I had the rotors turned and installed the Ferodos with no problems as of yet.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Can someone give a good technical explanation of pad transfer???
I am unclear as to what a few hard slow downs would do. I never come to a stop and leave my foot on the brakes. I always let off for at least 5 seconds to allow the pads to cool and not cause one spot on the rotor to burn while the light is red. This has always helped rotor and pad life/warping.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

BuMp
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:25 PM

Pad transfer is when the pad material trasfers or builds up on the rotor, causes a thumping similar to a warped rotor. Lot's of cars nowdays have this problem with oem pads since they banned asbestos from oem pads.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I found really helped to minimize pad transfer is to not use the parking brake when I park the car.

It sounds wierd, but I just went through a pad transfer problem again - my car had been sitting for about 3 weeks and the e-brake had been on. The first time I hit the brakes there was some shake. I took the car out to a safe area and did 4 or 5 hard 70 to 0 stops, and then drove the car normally. After that everything was fine.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Doesn't the parking brake only use the rear discs? I solved my "warped" problem by just having the front discs turned.