Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bad suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bad suspension setup?

So lately I've been hearing a squeaking sound on the highway coming from the front left wheel. I changed out the wheel bearing but still makes the sound even though the wheel bearing did make noise and had some resistance spinning it by hand. I had Bilstein HDs and swift springs installed a few months ago and today while inspecting I found that the top spring seat isn't aligned with the strut, the holes don't line up. I'm also wondering if there is an indentation on the top spring seat for the spring to sit in, it looks like there is but can't tell, I took a pic. The top hat also spins freely spinning it one way but will stop if I spin it the other way. Could these things be causing my squeaking sound?
Bad suspension setup?-image.jpeg
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Looks suspect. Pull the strut and make sure the top hat was installed correctly.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Looks suspect. Pull the strut and make sure the top hat was installed correctly.
I did pull the strut and how do I make sure it's installed correctly? I was going to go to the parts store to get some spring compressors but they took the keys to the other car here at home, so I have to wait.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 01:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Heres the procedure from the manual

Old Jul 5, 2016, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^There you go apparently the holes can be aligned and that gives you a ballpark of orientation. Before you even try and compress the spring if you look at the perch for the top and bottom there is a clear indentation where the end of the spring will rest in. The spring should be seated up against that. Hard to tell frmo your picture but it does appear that is not the case currently and most likely is the culprit of your noises.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, that's what I figured from the evomoto how to. I got the compressors so I'll be removing the top and see how it goes from there.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

You will be able to tell without popping off the top hat...and it its not sitting right compress the spring a little bit rotate the perch and pop off the compressor and you should be golden.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

So I did take the top off and there is no actual indentation on the top just the bottom but the top and bottom weren't aligned correctly. Also the top hat is damaged. Spinning it one way it spins freely and spinning it the other causes the ring that spaces out the bearings to pop off and stop it from spinning freely.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Huh that's stange I recall there being an indentation on either side but I guess its been a little while since the last time I had a set of stock struts apart. Either way looks like you found your issue. Guess now is a good time to pick up a set of replacement top hats or alternatively a set of adjustable plates if you're looking to dial in more camber and caster.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

There is an indentation on the rubber part from what the OEM spring made but you can move that independently from the actual top seat. I saw a few of those plates but I need the car so I'lol be getting stock replacement from the dealer.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the bottom certainly has an indentation on both the perch and the rubber isolator and I thought the top did as well off the top of my head but as you said I guess Im off the mark. Now that I think about it the rubber piece on the top may just be a circle and doesnt step down like the bottom piece...Either way order some parts and get her back together!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Fixed the front and before both sides weren't the same height and after fixing them both sides were even. The rear also wasn't the same height so I decided to check those and the top of the spring wasn't properly seated in the rubber cushion it sits in, once dropped they were even. Really disappointed with the shop that installed them, everyone in SoCal swears by them for Evos...
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Well, there you have it...glad you got it sorted out and it goes to show if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself. Swapping suspension on our cars is cake anyway.