Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coil overs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 06:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
8k/9k is about the most I can stand on Ohlins R&T. Anything above this causes the car to follow the road contours so strongly as to be uncomfortable on anything but smooth roads.
I prefer 14-16k/20-22k but some of my friends tell me Im soft
Old Jan 7, 2019, 07:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Apparently I'm limp.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 07:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Crankwalker
So I did some shopping around and can get a set of the new Gen7 500s with swift springs for $1400 shipped. Wich is basically free swift springs and shipping. I can get the 510s with swift springs for $2275,but if im going to spend 2k+ I feel like I should just get the Ohlins. The FA500s come standard 8k8k... Would it be safe to say to just go with 8k10k? Car will see the street more than the track but is not a daily. Hope to make it to the track at least 4-5 times this year. Running a 26mm RSB if that makes a difference in the rear rates, 255 or 265(still have decided between staying on 17s or going 18s) 200TW tires AD08Rs or A052s...
My guess is that 8K/10K with a 26 mm RSB would be an oversteer monster. Probably depends somewhat on your whp level and the stickiness of your tires. But the good news is that springs are cheap, so if too much oversteer, either swap springs or maybe go to smaller RSB.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:39 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
you were on the Ohlins, right?
AST 4100.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
​​​​​​There's a pill for that.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I say get ohlins. Saving maybe $500 isn't worth it. They are 100% better for street manners, and the bump absorption capability directly translates to autocross and track performance because I've never been in a perfect parking lot for AX, or an a brand new 100% not bumpy road course.
There's a $674 difference between the two, are the Ohlins really worth the extra cost? How do the Ohlins do on track? Seems like all people talk about is how good they are on the street....

Originally Posted by mrfred
My guess is that 8K/10K with a 26 mm RSB would be an oversteer monster. Probably depends somewhat on your whp level and the stickiness of your tires. But the good news is that springs are cheap, so if too much oversteer, either swap springs or maybe go to smaller RSB.
I was kinda thinking the same thing! If the 10k in the rear with the big sway bar would be too much. Maybe 9k would be better?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:29 PM
kaj

There's a $674 difference between the two, are the Ohlins really worth the extra cost? How do the Ohlins do on track? Seems like all people talk about is how good they are on the street....

I was kinda thinking the same thing! If the 10k in the rear with the big sway bar would be too much. Maybe 9k would be better?
1. They are definitely worth it, IF you can swing it.
2. We talk about their street manners because all decent coilovers work well in the track, when set up right, and OP mentioned driving his car around town.
Ohlins perform as well as any coilover in it's price range (and possibly more expensive) at the track AND are unmatched on the street.
3. My 8/10 with a 25mm RSB set one from full soft handled GREAT. I can't vouch for the 26 mm.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
2. We talk about their street manners because all decent coilovers work well in the track, when set up right, and OP mentioned driving his car around town.
Ohlins perform as well as any coilover in it's price range (and possibly more expensive) at the track AND are unmatched on the street.
3. My 8/10 with a 25mm RSB set one from full soft handled GREAT. I can't vouch for the 26 mm.
Re-valving necessary for 8/10 swap?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 09:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Name User
Nope.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:18 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Name User
If I remember right, you have a +/- 2k window for valving, so going from 8 to 10 and visa versa should be fine (I'd still confirm with the manufacturer). You could always request they be valved for 8f/10r, then you would be good for anything 6/8 to 10/12.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

They work extremely well on track. As I stated, their bump absorption ability that equates to ride comfort turn into the ability to handle uneven surfaces at speed without the car becoming unsettled, even with the dampers turned up.

You're getting a much nicer part from Ohlins. The digressive piston FA uses is simple, old, technology. They're likely just using a convex face to preload the shim stack, which increase the low speed damping of thinner shims, but still allows for high speed blow off. The ohlins use two separate pistons with a bleed port that opens with high shaft speeds to send oil to the second piston, so everything is fully controlled.

Also, the lower mount on the front dampers is not held in place with a lock collar, it uses pinch bolts so it never comes loose. This is a common issue with coilovers that use a lock collar on the lower mount. The ohlins also use an inverted front damper, which is much stronger and more resistant to flex than the standard damper used by FA.

Originally Posted by kaj
Ohlins perform as well as any coilover in it's price range (and possibly more expensive) at the track AND are unmatched on the street
Having driven a few different coilovers; to include Stance, FA, BC, and AST, I can say the Ohlins far exceed anything in their price range. Their equal on track would be a much more expensive set of single adjustable MCS or AST coilovers. FA's do not compare.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jan 8, 2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 04:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Unless my searching skills have failed, i find it hard to believe there has been no comprehensive coilover shootout, complete w/Dyno plots & subsequent tear-down

With all the money that Engineering guy has, it wouldnt take much to coordinate a shop to do a C/O'r Dyno Shootout. After the plotting, tear down each C/O'r & examine the seals / valve stack / pistons etc & have this independent shop give an educated opinion as to build & performance quality

I want to see the FACTS
Old Jan 8, 2019, 05:50 PM
kaj

Might be because most people can't understand a dyno graph, wouldn't know what the differences mean anyway, and results are proven at the track.
I guess it would be cool to see some data, but I'm not sure it would influence my buying decision.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 06:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Might be because most people can't understand a dyno graph, wouldn't know what the differences mean anyway, and results are proven at the track.
I guess it would be cool to see some data, but I'm not sure it would influence my buying decision.
The graphs would be interpreted by the expert and explained to us layman

Today it seems all the comments are purely uninformed / unverified opinion. Show me the facts

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jan 8, 2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:03 PM
kaj

If unanimous testimony and lap times aren't enough...then yeah. I guess facts are good too.

At the same time ,if all we had were facts and charts then everyone would be like, "yeah, but I want to hear from people with real-world experience".
So ,either way ,I guess..?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I found found my self in the same position regarding the same decision.

I also feel after quite a bit of reading on the topic that an often overlooked coil over in this category is the HKS Hipermax.

The HKS comes in two varieties as well (gt/sp) and the fronts are inverted like the ohlins. If shopping around both varieties of HKS can be had for under 1,500 shipped.

I picked up the FA 500 with swift 8/10 on Black Friday for a really good price. I was under impression that radial bearings were included but they were not. (Trying to sort out with vendor). But now I wonder if I should have purchased the HKS

Here's a pic of said FA's