Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Squeeeeeeeeeek...

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squeeeeeeeeeek...

Ok.. i swapped out my pads with new ones from Vivid Racing.. project mu spec. I had no problem with the swapout. The new pads reduce brake dust greatly, which is the reason why i got them. But now, a week later, i have some major squeeking going on. I've reinstalled my shims, and that squeek dampener metal dealio that goes back on top of the pads as you reinsert the pins. Basically, it's all back in place.
Now, squeek city through most of my braking range. I have 1600 miles on the car, and DID NOT have the rotors cut when i slapped the new pads on. Figured they were still pretty smooth.. no problems with rotor warp or anything.
I also followed the directions on Seating the pads.. 3-4 days of a few 60-0 stops yadda yadda.. yeah.. did that too..

Anyone have any advice? is there some magic fluid i can spray on those pads to stop the squeeking? Should i have the rotors resurfaced?
Old May 14, 2004, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

I have that same ****!! Mitsubishi figured out that my Rotor ****ed up but they won't cover it because it would be my fault!!?? Though I didn't have an accident or something like this!!
Sorry I can't help you with a magic fluid!
Old May 14, 2004, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Clean the shims real good. Brake cleaner will usually do the job. Go buy some anti-noise compound for brakes. Put some in between each shim and brake pad. You can even put some around the caliper piston ring where it makes contact with the shim. Make sure not to get any on the pad material or rotor. This should cut down on squeel dramatically.
Old May 14, 2004, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mayhem
Clean the shims real good. Brake cleaner will usually do the job. Go buy some anti-noise compound for brakes. Put some in between each shim and brake pad. You can even put some around the caliper piston ring where it makes contact with the shim. Make sure not to get any on the pad material or rotor. This should cut down on squeel dramatically.

i am pretty ignorant about brakes.. just know the basics. But why would anti-sqeeal compound do anything if it were just between the shims and pads? I would think that it would have to be something where the pad makes contact with the rotor..

Forgive my stupidiy.. and thanks for you post..
Old May 14, 2004, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

There are two 'shims' behind each pad, a metal one and a fiber one that is glued to the pad. Put BOTH of them on the new pads and your squeaking will likely go away.
Old May 14, 2004, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
There are two 'shims' behind each pad, a metal one and a fiber one that is glued to the pad. Put BOTH of them on the new pads and your squeaking will likely go away.
I remember seeing the fiber ones... i thought they were mated to the pad.. didn't know they came off. I just put the metal shims back on.

if this works.. and i win the lottery.. you got some comin' to ya!!
Old May 14, 2004, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

They don't just pop off, you'll need to get a scraper or screwdriver behind them and work them off. Make sure you play that lottery!
Old May 14, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

From what I understand when a break is beaded it leaves quite a bit of deposit on the surface of the rotor. This allows the compound to fill any imperfections in the break surface; allowing smooth contact. It's very likely that what is happening is that the surface is well brazened with the old matereal and the two meating is creating this sound.

I would highly suggest you take the rotors off and have them turned. It's cheap, the labor is not all that bad, and it will likely take care of this issue. Then with the new pad compound you will fill the imprefections in the rotor and the two will be mated. I would give this a shot before you spend too much time or money troubleshooting. I've seen a LOT of break jobs (and done quite a few myself) and there rule of thumb is to turn the rotor if you changing compounds.

Hope that thelps a little.
Old May 14, 2004, 07:50 AM

Make sure to put anti-squeak whereever the caliper touches the pad. That should handle most if not all the noise.

I saw your above post about where the noise is coming from, but still, if you haven't used any anti-squeal, that is the source of at least a little noise.

Also, don't wash it off with a high pressure hose or anything while washing your car.
Old May 17, 2004, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

... ok.. ripped everything off.. and cleaned really well. Removed the other shims that are glued to the original pads and used them on the new pads, as well as applying a generous amount of antisqueak guk on the backs of the pads... and my squeaking is still there. I guess the only thing left to do is to have the rotors cut. I hate taking the car to a local shop, i guess i'll take it to the dealer. Don't know if i know enough to remove and reinstall the rotors myself.
Old May 17, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by evo8nj
... ok.. ripped everything off.. and cleaned really well. Removed the other shims that are glued to the original pads and used them on the new pads, as well as applying a generous amount of antisqueak guk on the backs of the pads... and my squeaking is still there. I guess the only thing left to do is to have the rotors cut. I hate taking the car to a local shop, i guess i'll take it to the dealer. Don't know if i know enough to remove and reinstall the rotors myself.
Don't get your hopes up. I am having the same problem with my Ferodo 2500's. At first i did not turn the disk, but I did install both anti squeel shims and lubed every thing up well. I then later turned the rotors and did a light sanding on the pad to clean it up and flatten it out. Same problem. So far the Ferodo's are much dustier than stock and much louder. They even squeeled on the track, but they did stop nice!
Old May 17, 2004, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Hey man, don't get your rotors turned if they still looked good. Especially if you only have 1600 miles on the car. I did my brakes at 25000 miles and decided to get mine turned just because that's quite a bit of miles. I put the Project Mu B Force pads on mine. They do squeak, as with any high friction pad. It's just another one of those sacrifices with high performance pads. By the way, what model did you buy? The B Force or the NS pads?
Old May 17, 2004, 09:35 PM

My ferodo's sqeeked like hell for the first 500 miles, i even installed the stock shims and used copper anti-seize. I guess it just takes a while for the pads to get set in with the rotor. Now they are quiet except for breaking in reverse (backin out of the garage). Just give it some time/miles.
Old May 17, 2004, 09:54 PM
ED4

The time you're talking about it break in, seat in or burnishing period. When pads break in or seat in they go through a process called material transfer. That is where some of the pad material actually transfers and adheres to the rotor surface. Once that is done the pads work better.

Not only the problem with lubing the pads and betweens the shims(squeeks/squeals are caused by viberation lubing dampens the viberation so it's not audible to the human ears) but the edge of the rotors may have a small lip which if it's touching the pad surface will make noice. Only cures for that are bevil the edge of the pads or turn the rotors.

For lubing you should lube any contact piont between the caliper, shims, and pads.
Old May 17, 2004, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well apparently you have 2 threads on this subject.

Do not cut the rotors! I can't say you can eliminate the squeeling completely but if you want to clean up the old pad material from the rotors then you should take them off and scuff/sand them with 40 to 80 grit sand paper. Chances are though it will lessen over time. Imagine all the work you've already done just to save a little wheel cleaning time. lol...