Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anything that compares to Advans?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neal, since you carry the Advan AD07 for the Lotus, is it possible for you to special order larger sizes of the Neova's?
Old Aug 8, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Uhm - the Lotus Elise has a curb weight of less than 2000 lbs. Why would anyone want to put tires designed for the Elise on an evo8, which weighs well over 3000?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

ADVAN AD048 (street slick) is the best tire I've tried (on dry tarmac) yet. The others made by Toyo, Dunlop, Falken are ok too. Depending on the compund you get (AD 048 come in 9 I think) wear will vary but R tires weren't made to last, just to grip.

If you use your car as a daily commuter, I think the Advan AD07 is the best grip wise... There will always be the trade off between performance and durability.

Best thing to do is own a second set wheels/tires and a jack.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 09:44 AM
Account Disabled

The A048R is available in 18" and 13" sizes now. The Neova is and other size 48's are due end of the year. Let's hope. If you want your size you can always order from Japan. The only drawback to buying Yokohama race type tires is they are out of this world expensive. That is why the A032R never sold like it should. Who would buy a tire that has no advantage over a Toyo RA1 and pay $50 more?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donutmonkey
Uhm - the Lotus Elise has a curb weight of less than 2000 lbs. Why would anyone want to put tires designed for the Elise on an evo8, which weighs well over 3000?

The Advan AD07 Neova was never designed specifically for the Elise.

They are probably the best street tires out there in Japan. The Neovas are being used as drift tires in Japan. They are being used as street tires for Evo's, STi's, Skyline's, Silvia's, etc. all over Japan. If you thought the Advans that came with the Evo are sticky, the Neova's are even stickier. They also have a higher treadware rating than the A046's.

The Neova isn't limited to Elise sizes, they've got tires from 13in to 18in. The 18in and 17in tires would be perfect for the Evo.

EDIT: Here's an old thread showing how much better of a tire the Neova is compared to the A046: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...neova+lap+time

Last edited by crazy_evo414; Aug 9, 2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

I am about to order new tires and was considering ordering the SO-3 as well....I had them on a supercharged AWD BMW 330XI and loved them more the the pilot sports that I had previously. The advans and the Evo handle a lot better than the BMW (even though it had H&R coilovers and 18 inch Breytons..all ordered from tirerack). I think the only reason I am going to go with the Advans again is because I really liked them on the track. I went to putnam park and did not experience and chunking....the tires did get a bit greasy after a few 30 minute sessions...but it was also pretty predictable. I guess my only comment is if you are going to complain about greasy tires on a track.....complain a TRACK tires that get greasy....Advans are some of the best STREET tires you can get....just based off some of the other tires I have driven on.......although I have had no experience with the Toyo's
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

I got my car 2nd hand with the pzero nero tires. They are horrible. The more heated they get, the worse the grip. I can't wait to change them.

Around these parts of the world, most people are using the ADVAN AD07. It's the closest thing to a street slick that is street legal. Otherwise most EVO's run on the street slicks ADVAN AD048. Both the above mentioned tires come in all kinds of sizes. Wouldn't recommend the AD048 (comes in an assortment of compounds like GT3) for heavy commuters as you will be changing tires every 2 months. SO3 is a popular tire that's on the list.

Any one tried the Toyo street slicks ... they are economical compared to the others.

Last edited by MagEvoVII; Aug 10, 2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:39 PM
Account Disabled

We sell the Toyo RA1 for $170 each and they will last nearly as long as the stock Advan. Unfortuantely the Neova and A048 are not yet available in the U.S. Soon I hope.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tswift
We sell the Toyo RA1 for $170 each and they will last nearly as long as the stock Advan. Unfortuantely the Neova and A048 are not yet available in the U.S. Soon I hope.
I didn't get the name of the Toyo slick in the shop but is the RA1 a street slick(illegal)?

Guy in the shop told me they are as good as the AD048 but about 50 bucks USD cheaper per tire.

For those of you that haven't tried street slicks, they stick like someone dipped your tires in crazy glue, of course the softer the compound the better, after a run, your tires feel like chewing gum. Pieces of it actually fly off your car (i know cos pieces hit my car when Im following someone). But be careful because these tires dont squeel to let you know ur slippin. You just go, when they give. And they are completely useless in water. I only use my car as weekend car so can choose what weather to go out in. For you guys who have a track readily accessible, I highly recommend you try. Safety first!
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:58 PM
Account Disabled

Yes the RA1 is DOT approved. They don't suffer from the same "instant" slide like most R compoud tires. That is one selling point. The let the driver have a chance to save it, unlike Hoosiers or other dedicated race slicks. Yes they are much cheaper than the 48R's. We sell them for $170ea non shaved.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Is the sidewall stiffer on the RA-1 than the advans? I just got a set of T1-S and was impressed with handling in the rain but dissapointed with their weak sidewall.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

I thought the Neova was desgined as an Elise only deal. My mistake! But isn't a Neova to stock Advan comparison like apples to newer apples? I bet a lot of the tire folks are going to debut new and improved shoes at SEMA this year.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tswift
Yes the RA1 is DOT approved. They don't suffer from the same "instant" slide like most R compoud tires. That is one selling point. The let the driver have a chance to save it, unlike Hoosiers or other dedicated race slicks. Yes they are much cheaper than the 48R's. We sell them for $170ea non shaved.
Nice more or less price as here. Might give em a try but i promised myself to keep this car chilled out. Neovas are a great tire and safe(r) in the rain too. thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 05:05 PM

So what is the grippiest street compound tire for auto-x? I dont want to compete with the R-compound guys yet due to experience level on my part. Those guys are *fast*.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 06:19 PM
bs
Evolving Member

When I went from the advan's to the s03's I also initially badly missed the advans.......give the s03's a shot though because once they are broken in they are quite good.

Quick Reply: Anything that compares to Advans?