Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anything that compares to Advans?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2004, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything that compares to Advans?

This is a question for neal if he's around.. I ordered a set of Blizzaks from you guys and was very please. I got them in like 3 days which made it even better.

I'm looking for a new set of tires that compare to the Advans that are cheaper..

So far the only tire I've really liked is the Potenza RE750.. I wanted to see if you have anything that will compare to the Advan at around 150/ea.. or if the RE750 would be the best choice.

I plan on ordering these in about 2 weeks.. I'm going to try to work hard and get Advans but just wanted to ask

========================

Edit: The following tires were discussed/commented about in this thread:

Advan A032R
BFGoodrich KDW
Bridgestone S-03
Bridgestone RE750
Dunlop FM901
Dunlop SP Sport 9000
Falken Azeni
Goodyear F1 GS-D3
Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Toyo TS-1
Toyo RA-1

I went with the Bridgestone S-03's because it best suits my driving style and budget.

Andy

Last edited by justchil; Aug 2, 2004 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Similar tires to the Advan would be the BFGoodrich KDW, Bridgestone S-03, or Michelin Pilot Sport. However, the Advan is basically a street legal race tire that focuses all of its attention to dry traction and handling. The tires listed above might sacrafice a bit of overall dry grip, but will wear longer, ride better, and produce less noise than the Advan.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm the S-03 looks like a pretty nice tire.. but it's still and expensive one. I'll probably go with the s-03 if I can't get enough cash for another set of Advans.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 24, 2004, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Falken Azenis's are hella nice too.. It's what I ride on
Old Jun 24, 2004, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah that's what I was first looking at.. but I didn't think they made them in our stock size?
Old Jun 24, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Yeah that's what I was first looking at.. but I didn't think they made them in our stock size?

They don't. The closest is 245 /45 / 17, which still fits, but makes the overall diameter a bit wider.

The Falken's are dirt cheap, and you can get them at most places for around $100 a tire, but they are SUPER HEAVY, and the tire, since it is at the outermost area of the wheel / tire rotating mass, is the WORST place to put extra weight.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Picked mine up at vulcan tire
http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_t.htm

245/45/17
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

THis is exactly my question, as I'm needing tires shortly. It seems if price is no object, the stockers(Advan A046) are the best. What about Toyo Proxes, I forget which one though.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

I don't see the falkens in 235/45/r17.. I see 245/45/r17

I had toyo rs-4's or something like that on my celica.. didn't grip very well at all
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I need new tires soon also. This is a helpful thread. People sell "new" advans a lot on here because they buy an evo and immediately put on aftermarket tires... Well, I guess that happened more in the winter, but I'm always on the lookout for that.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

I run the Pirelli P-Nero Zero and I have won my class in the last two Autocrosses and Have AWESOME treadwear. Softer ride low noise and I drive on these tires every day to work and run autocrosses on the weekends. I just air up more for the races. Good price too. I will go with them again but I will go one size up.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by number 8
THis is exactly my question, as I'm needing tires shortly. It seems if price is no object, the stockers(Advan A046) are the best. What about Toyo Proxes, I forget which one though.
I've got a set of Toyo Proxes RA-1 tires in the Evo's "stock" size which I'll be putting on the car this weekend for use all summer long.

The RA-1 is marketed as a competition tire, for racing and the like, but I've known a few local car enthusiasts (including an Evo owner) who have used them on the street. RA-1s are almost certainly better performing tires than the A046 tires in either dry or wet conditions. The tread pattern of the RA-1 is surprisingly similar to the A046.

The RA-1 is also cheaper than the A046 -- well, as long as you're talking about cost per tire and not cost per mile driven. Possible downsides are that the RA-1 may not last as long due to its softer compound, and they are supposedly a rather noisy tire.

Also, if it's important to you, you're not likely to get any tire warranty on the RA-1s, due to their classification as competition tires.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Let us know your impressions of the Toyo's. I've heard good things,but life span sounds a little less.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Falken Azenis, in the 245/45/17 - admittingly not AS grippy as the advans, but grippy enough where you won't miss them. And the price is unbeatable.

Just don't go with the 225 size of azenis, i didn't realize until a few day of driving, that they had ordered the wrong ones... and was just too lazy to go back. But they were a nice recipe for sliding around.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

I have tried the following tires:

Falken Azenis: Heavier than stock and you can feel it in suspension response and acceleration. Great grip but not as good steering response and the sidewalls felt much softer most likely due to the extra width on an 8" wheel.

Pirelli P-Zero Nero: Hated this tire, super soft sidewalls, terrible steering response (You turn in, then the tire catches up to the steering input requiring you to adjust your line) and awful grip at high temperatures (track days, etc...)

Advan A032R- Damn good grip, great steering response, better for track use. Super noisy on the street and oddly they make the steering feel numb.

Quick Reply: Anything that compares to Advans?