Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo X MR Tuned...Hit a limiter?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X MR Tuned...Hit a limiter?

So I went to Akuma Motorsports to get my car tuned about 2 weeks ago. I have a K&N Typhoon intake system which includes the Uicp and I have a Borla Cat-back Exhaust. I also got the new update factory reflash a while back since I have an 08. Apparently my car hit some sort of limiter according to John at Akuma while doing pulls and that the best he could get the car to safely was about 250 Whp and 262 Wtq at about 23lbs. He told me that it should of pulled harder and it was approximately about 10% under where my car should of been. So that's about 25Whp under. I know to maybe some of you that might not be a big deal, but would like to get the most out of what I paid for.

I was just wondering if anyone else ran into a similar issue and could give some advice. Is the car just under-powered from the limiter or is this normal with the mods I have (keep in mind I have the SST if that makes a difference anyway).

After doing some research I've seen other MR's pulling around 280-290 with similar mods so I'm thinking its just under-powered from the limiter that John was talking about, but I'm not sure though.

Don't get me wrong or anything, but John is a great guy and his shop and crew is definitely top notch along with the work he does so I have no doubt in his tuning capabilities, its just this limiter issue that I guess he didn't have the right software or couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I don't have a Cobb AP so I think it was tuned using ECUFlash if that matters. Other than that the car feels great and should of came like this from the factory.

He said if I had the AP than it wouldn't be a problem, can anyone clarify why?

I also attached the Dyno graph. You can see the bumps in the power and boost so that indicates that it wants to go more, but than it stops I guess hitting a limiter and going back down. It does this about 3 times.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Evo X MR Tuned...Hit a limiter?-dyno.jpg  
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

perhaps it isn't a "limiter" but bad fuel pump relay fuse.

When I was tuned @ krazyhouse, petey said basically the same thing. I should have been pulling harder.
That night I went on the forums and read about the bad relays.
Picked up all blue and the mfi replacement and went back to the tuner.
I gained about 35whp more with the new relays in as opposed to leaving the old ones in.

Here is a link to the recall. I hope this helps or at least can eliminate one possibility.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzni...WVi/edit?pli=1

Last edited by tehSteve; Apr 18, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:43 AM

Wow 35 whp loss from a faulty relay?! It's good to know someone else had the same problem lol I was looking for days online and couldn't find anything, I thought I was the only one. I really can't find any other explanation for my problem so I guess I'll have to try the relay out too.

So I did some research and apparently a new black one came out after the blue one and its not on mitsubishiparts so do you know where I could get it.

Let me try to get this straight, so I need one new fuel relay the blue or new black one, and the grey mfi relay correct?

And how did you explain the whole relay issue to your tuner, did you have to pay for another tune after getting the relay or did he just cover it in your old one? I kinda don't want to pay for another tune possibly not even getting something out of it.

By the way thanks alot for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

ssp has them
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:06 AM

Yeah, but they have a package of 5??? How many are exactly being replaced for the latest TSB? On the original TSB it says to replace 2.

Last edited by EvolutionXmr; Apr 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:26 PM

John and the Akuma staff are great at what they do. I was sitting at 320whp at 23psi on their dyno. I had the updated fuel pump relay since day one and I hope your issue is minor or a cheap fix.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvolutionXmr
Yeah, but they have a package of 5??? How many are exactly being replaced for the latest TSB? On the original TSB it says to replace 2.
I would go ahead and replace all 5.. even though all arent for the engine. The fact is that the relay's suck and are weak.. so eventually down the road they will Fail! Replace them while you can together.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kento240
John and the Akuma staff are great at what they do. I was sitting at 320whp at 23psi on their dyno. I had the updated fuel pump relay since day one and I hope your issue is minor or a cheap fix.
Yeah Akuma is definitely a great shop, I just hope its something as small as the relay thats causing my power problem otherwise I have no clue what to do than.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by desiromeo812
I would go ahead and replace all 5.. even though all arent for the engine. The fact is that the relay's suck and are weak.. so eventually down the road they will Fail! Replace them while you can together.
Yeah I decided I'm gonna go ahead and get the 5 pack from SSP so I don't have to worry about anymore relays later on.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

We are looking into this and I am confident we will have a solution very soon.

Regards,

John
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolutionXmr
Wow 35 whp loss from a faulty relay?! It's good to know someone else had the same problem lol I was looking for days online and couldn't find anything, I thought I was the only one. I really can't find any other explanation for my problem so I guess I'll have to try the relay out too.
probably the best first step to take

So I did some research and apparently a new black one came out after the blue one and its not on mitsubishiparts so do you know where I could get it.
i got the blue ones from the mitsu dealership. haven't run into any problems since.

Let me try to get this straight, so I need one new fuel relay the blue or new black one, and the grey mfi relay correct?
i would get the new mfi, fuel pump, and throttle actuator relays. 2 blue, 1 grey

And how did you explain the whole relay issue to your tuner, did you have to pay for another tune after getting the relay or did he just cover it in your old one? I kinda don't want to pay for another tune possibly not even getting something out of it.
nope. my re-tune was free... but at the same time, the car never left the lot lol. john already seems to be on top of it

By the way thanks alot for the help, I really appreciate it.
holla
holler
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:23 AM

What is your boost at top? Could be the pill is plugged.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by AkumaMotorsport
We are looking into this and I am confident we will have a solution very soon.

Regards,

John
Thanks sounds good. I'm going to order the relays soon and so we can schedule a re-tune to fix that problem.

I hope to hear from you soon and thanks for the support.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by evoxmrowner
What is your boost at top? Could be the pill is plugged.
Not sure, though I was tuned for about 23 lbs. I did post the dyno graph so you can check it out if that helps.