Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

tscomptuned 08 GSR - 360hp/375tq

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tscomptuned 08 GSR - 360hp/375tq

Tom just polished up another masterpiece of a tune on my new 08 PB evo.

I purchased the car from a dealership that had no idea what was going on. It sputtered, stalled, misfired, backfired, and wouldn't start warm half of the time. With 30k miles and about 10k worth of quality parts, I was able to nab the car for a steal of a price knowing the tune was the culprit. Receipts showed that it had a big brand name shop tune, but I could tell things weren't quite right.

So today we went to work and went from this:

to this:

to finally this:

This is my new DD, so I wanted things to be rowdy, but more importantly safe. Tom has delivered a car that is a completely different animal. Drivability, fuel economy, and all around enjoyability have all increased substantially. I couldn't be happier with this car!

Thanks again, Tom!

Last edited by prowakeskater; Apr 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
No problem man..

Id just like to share some things from the tune..

heres a log from the tune :

heres boost, timing, fuel.

car was put in open loop for better fuel economy and leaned out in cruise area on fuel map.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Stock turbo? I'm just looking at the boost curve. Ramps up to about ~22psi by 3300rpm but then slowly builds up to 28. Why not just go 28 as quick as you can then taper down like you are in the later rpms?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

yes its on stock turbo. the owner requested a subtle boost curve so i slowly eased the boost in there and gave it just enough mid range to ramp the hp up a good bit.. i was kinda disappointed it only took the timing it did uptop.. maybe a bad tank of gas.. i was expecting 380whp with these mods. or am i expecting to much from the car? it supposedly has s2 cams.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Just from what i heard getting around 380 is tough to do on pump gas. Bigger cams would work but i dont know how much though. I'm at 423hp 382 trq with a ball bearing FP Red and full bolt ons. I'm keeping the tune safe since im on stock block and plan on doing lts of racing.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor

ok so then his numbers are not to bad i guess. i would recommend you try to control the boost curve as smooth as possible to keep your tq down.. the tq is what ultimately destroys things.

maybe he just needs a o2 dump then he will be closer to 380whp ish.

having it come in soft like that lets the driver be able to part throttle or go 50% also without surging or doing anything goofy.. just makes the car more driveable in a city environment without having to worry about hitting full boost everytime you push the pedal down or risk of overboost.

having a nice mivec map to spin the turbo quick and then having the subtle boost come in makes for a snappy daily driver without needing to go WOT.

instead of an on and off switch you have the ability to actually drive the car with boost, which most turbo cars do not have the ability to do.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yea i'd say the power is where he should be. I agree torque is what will kill the engine but there is different ways to get around it. Your way is one way but not spooling the turbo up to fast is another way. I'm tuned by Clipse3GT and the car feels amazing. Whether its WOT, DD or in between.

Dont mean to thread jack but here is my dyno just to compare.

I'm 100% certain Kris (my tuner) can get it to spool faster with MIVEC. But i like my rods where they are, haha. He made my tune abit rich to keep everything cool and no signs of knock. Unfortunely the stock clutch couldnt handle the torque. I guess i did a few to many launches.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Cams don't really do much on stock turbo. The stock cams are very well suited for the turbos airflow and honestly with MIVEC there isn't a ton to be gained.

Solid number on pump gas though, should be fun!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

thats way to rich in my opinion.. all that's going to do is make a mess on your bumper and foul out plugs quicker.

ya im well aware how to keep engines together.. i got a handful of 550-600whp stock block evo 8/9 's running around one running almost 9's.

but yes that turbo is not a good comparison to the stock turbo.. the sooner the turbo spins the easier it is for it to make torque.. the bigger the turbo, the easier to control tq and raise hp.

that graph needs way more smoothing! or you need to find a new road.. your graph should not be wavy like that. if its neither of the two mentioned above then ignition timing is not where it should be.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
thats way to rich in my opinion.. all that's going to do is make a mess on your bumper and foul out plugs quicker.

ya im well aware how to keep engines together.. i got a handful of 550-600whp stock block evo 8/9 's running around one running almost 9's.

but yes that turbo is not a good comparison to the stock turbo.. the sooner the turbo spins the easier it is for it to make torque.. the bigger the turbo, the easier to control tq and raise hp.

that graph needs way more smoothing! or you need to find a new road.. your graph should not be wavy like that. if its neither of the two mentioned above then ignition timing is not where it should be.
I am pretty sure his tune isn't complete, last time I checked anyway.

This is half a run snake...flat torque curve

however...mivec seems to be off or fueling for spool up area as its a lil wavy there. Also the road wasn't perfectly flat

Last edited by murlo26; Apr 24, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by murlo26
Cams don't really do much on stock turbo. The stock cams are very well suited for the turbos airflow and honestly with MIVEC there isn't a ton to be gained.

Solid number on pump gas though, should be fun!
i dont know why they put s2's in this car.. but o well. maybe it had a bigger turbo before. thanks man.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Yea my tune isnt finished. He was working on smoothing the boost out abit and working on the afr but my clutch started to take a dump so we cant finish until i get a new clutch. Jesus thats a flat trq curve. Reminds me of my 370z, haha.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Murlo is that e85? id just give it alittle more wgdc downlow to fill in that low curve a bit more and you should smooth out your spool curve. we had a curve like that also until i slowly filled it in with wgdc.

so 350-360 is the norm for this kind of modded evo X on 93?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Going by what the OP has in his sig for mods. Yes thats normal (more on the 360 side)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Snakes709
Going by what the OP has in his sig for mods. Yes thats normal (more on the 360 side)
ok thanks.

its possible this one is a little weaker / worn out. it used to be a road race car / time attack and was making somewhere around 450wtq on stock block for awhile.

this one seems to be between 340-350ish.

Quick Reply: tscomptuned 08 GSR - 360hp/375tq