Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2015 Evo X GSR - MAP 5858 V-Band Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 08:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
So much left in that on E85. You could easily run 50-60 more wtq across the entire range. Probably make close to 525-550whp up top. But as long as your happy. She'll definitely rip with a built motor.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 09:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rico05
Got ya. The AP is handy, but EvoScan can do much more than the AP as far as data logging and gauge display. You do have to haul around a laptop however. You can also map switch with open source. I did like having the gauges built right in, but after I switched I used the money from selling my AP and bout real AEM gauges.

Check out www.wtftuned.com for your flex tune. TJ is doing mine (I had a faulty flex sensor from another manufacturer). All he works on is Xs and 90% of what his shop does is flex fuel tunes.
The wtftuned flex fuel kit is the same kit that you can get on the flexconverter.com. Its typically sold out for months at a time and I dont believe anyone is going to be able to give you a date on when they will be in stock or when the next projected shipment will be.

The drivenfab kit is probably your other best choice which is also a plug and play kit.
The following users liked this post:
Cflo23 (Apr 21, 2017)
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
So much left in that on E85. You could easily run 50-60 more wtq across the entire range. Probably make close to 525-550whp up top. But as long as your happy. She'll definitely rip with a built motor.
That's what I'm looking forward to. Left the torque well under 400 to protect the engine, then once I can pull enough funds together I'll opt for an engine build. I'm hoping with cams and a double pumper I could get up in the mid to high 500's and not have to worry about the engine letting go if I do something like a MAP stage 2 2.0L. Personally, I'm not looking to go over 600 while I'm still daily driving it, I'll save the 600+ setup for when I get another car to commute in.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Do people run this kit as a true daily driver?

If so, wouldn't a water-cooled center section be preferable?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

The precision turbo's are designed around not being water cooled. They do fine.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What an awesome set up. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by moparfan
Do people run this kit as a true daily driver?

If so, wouldn't a water-cooled center section be preferable?
Yeah I daily it, 2,500 miles in and running smooth. Like letsgetthisdone said, new Precision turbos are designed to not be water-cooled and still be daily driven. I'll make a post if I have issues. Only thing is a little bit of smoke from the exhaust, but I've checked with a few people who have said it's normal for the turbo.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

You can improve your crank case ventilation setup and that will go away. The turbo smokes due to too much cracnk case pressure not letting the oil drain out of it properly.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 06:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
AMEN! letsgetthisdone is 200 percent correct! Experience with these cars has show time and time again that they respond very well to enhanced crankcase ventilation and there are a lot of very nice, complete bolt in solutions available
Old Apr 26, 2017, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The precision turbo's are designed around not being water cooled. They do fine.
That's an inaccurate statement. Going way back to the beginning of the performance aftermarket turbo industry, all the big turbos were based off of diesel turbos because nothing existed in the gasoline world. Diesels have lower exhaust operating temperatures than gasoline and therefore did not require water cooling to prevent oil coking. So int eh beginning of the aftermarket industry, all the turbos were based on diesel turbos and therefore didn't have water cooling. Think old-school T03/T04E stuff.

Tooling of center housings, especially with an additional water core on top of the oil core, is not cheap. Therefore, to save costs, it's easier to not make a water cooled center housing.

You won't find a single OEM gasoline turbocharger that is not water cooled. Even some diesel turbos are water-cooled now if they are used in more extreme applications.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

So, if a turbo doesn't have water lines, it's safe to assume certain design elements are catered towards that. Also, modern oils don't have the coking issues oils of yesteryear do. And, the PT turbos do fine without water cooling.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

So, if a turbo doesn't have water lines, it's safe to assume certain design elements are catered towards that. Also, modern oils don't have the coking issues oils of yesteryear do. And, the PT turbos do fine without water cooling.
That would be a poor assumption. Just for reference, I designed turbos for almost 10 years for the largest OEM turbocharger supplier. Modern synthetic oils are less resistant to coking, true, but I would still do a thorough cool-down if using a turbo on a gas engine without water cooling.

Keep in mind the exhaust manifold and turbine housing itself are huge thermal masses. So if you romp on the car and put it away hot, guess where all that heat goes... so the water cooled center housing is primarily to help with shutdown. But in some more extreme applications, where the engine is running constantly at high power, water cooling is required during steady state operation. Even on some diesel applications where the engine runs at full-power constantly like power generation, cargo ships, or pipeline pumps, etc. Heck, marine applications at constant full power have water cooled turbine housings.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by maperformance
AMEN! letsgetthisdone is 200 percent correct! Experience with these cars has show time and time again that they respond very well to enhanced crankcase ventilation and there are a lot of very nice, complete bolt in solutions available
I've got the Driven catch can setup with the PCV delete. Would that be causing the issue?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by spdracerut
That would be a poor assumption. Just for reference, I designed turbos for almost 10 years for the largest OEM turbocharger supplier. Modern synthetic oils are less resistant to coking, true, but I would still do a thorough cool-down if using a turbo on a gas engine without water cooling.

Keep in mind the exhaust manifold and turbine housing itself are huge thermal masses. So if you romp on the car and put it away hot, guess where all that heat goes... so the water cooled center housing is primarily to help with shutdown. But in some more extreme applications, where the engine is running constantly at high power, water cooling is required during steady state operation. Even on some diesel applications where the engine runs at full-power constantly like power generation, cargo ships, or pipeline pumps, etc. Heck, marine applications at constant full power have water cooled turbine housings.
Non-turbo boats run water cooled exhaust manifolds too.

I'm not arguing the validity of a water cooled turbo. Simply stating that the PT stuff doesn't seem to have an issue with not being water cooled.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Non-turbo boats run water cooled exhaust manifolds too.

I'm not arguing the validity of a water cooled turbo. Simply stating that the PT stuff doesn't seem to have an issue with not being water cooled.
I would say it's a use-case situation. You drive nice on a clutch, it'll last 200k miles. You launch it at every street light, i.e. when the Evo first came to the US in 2003, and you're replacing clutches every 5k miles.

If you give the turbo a good cool-down, it'll last. Do a few WOTs and then park the car hot, it won't last a long time without water cooling.

A lot of the lower cost Garrett and Borg Warner turbos are also not water cooled as they are based off of older diesel turbos.

Quick Reply: 2015 Evo X GSR - MAP 5858 V-Band Turbo Kit