Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Lojack Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lojack Alternative?

So I was watching TV and saw this... cheaper but there's a monthly service fee for it. But you get to find exact location

http://www.zoombak.com/products/auto
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:37 PM

i've got the lojack early warning system it kicks ***, but knowing exactly where the car is aint bad
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

invest in a trunk monkey
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
invest in a trunk monkey
QFT
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:19 AM

There are plenty of other gps tracking security systems out there now a days. I would figure out which one works out for you. whether it's for financial reasons or just convenience, it's your choice. I like lojack's pay back option if they don't recover the car. I believe it's $2,000 if your car is not recovered.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ep3a2
There are plenty of other gps tracking security systems out there now a days. I would figure out which one works out for you. whether it's for financial reasons or just convenience, it's your choice. I like lojack's pay back option if they don't recover the car. I believe it's $2,000 if your car is not recovered.
I've never understood wanting your car back after it's stolen, personally I'd like to take the loss and get a new ride rather then get a busted up G Ride back.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:26 PM
NMX

Originally Posted by Nathan0490
I've never understood wanting your car back after it's stolen, personally I'd like to take the loss and get a new ride rather then get a busted up G Ride back.
I agree! Isn't that the point of insurance? Paying extra for lojack never works out even with an insurance discount (which is a tiny discount at best). In fact, your insurance might give you the same discount for having the immobilizer key (stock key).
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.rmtracking.com/gpsproduct...trackPLUS.html

This is an option I was looking into. It has no monthly fees. You only pay a small fee if you have to use it. This is far more advanced than a lojack since a lojack is only able to be tracked if a cop is within a local range of it. This is a GPS based system.

IMO there are circumstances that you may want your car back after theft. If its right after it was stolen, which this device mentioned above could provide.

If you get your car back in close to the same shape as it was stolen in then that is great. If its dinged up it will be repaired.

Getting your car stolen is not a fun process. You have to wait 60-90 days before your insurance will give you anything . This time frame is to see if the car will be retrieved. If you have mods, more than likely you will receive next to nothing for them. So unless you like taking a loss then I would do everything you can to keep your $30-45k cars secure.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Old thread but I did buy a Zoombak and was curious if anyone else had one. It's cool in that you can set up zones ('work', 'home', etc) and if the car leaves that area you will get an SMS message. You can also go to their website and pull up its location whenever you want. It has been accurate within 6-10ft in my tests.

It's $150/yr which is a long way from free but I have so many mods on the car that I'd rather have it back than the insurance money. You can't buy insurance for the 100's of hours of labor that you put into your ride...it only covers parts.

The problem with Lojack is the very limited coverage. It doesn't seem useful for anyone outside of Cali.

Originally Posted by junction
http://www.rmtracking.com/gpsproducts/smarttrackPLUS.html
This is a much less expensive option. Oh, well. I can switch when my one-year subscription is out.

Last edited by mlomker; May 18, 2010 at 07:35 AM.