Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

AC Outlet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Standing at the edge of the gene pool with a flamethrower...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Outlet

I noticed when I was in the show room at the mistu dealer that one of the regular lansers had an extra AC outlet inside the middle console.

I would love to install one of these in my Evo X, either inside the center console box or just outside it where there apparently is an option for something as there is a blank there.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AC Power Inverter Plugs into your cigarette lighter and provides outlet(s).
If you looking to hardwire something and setup a permanant install, then thats a different story.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

I think he means a DC outlet. IIRC, the regular Lancer has one in the arm-rest compartment. I've been thinking about adding another outlet myself.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
I think he means a DC outlet. IIRC, the regular Lancer has one in the arm-rest compartment. I've been thinking about adding another outlet myself.
Yep thats what I meant. And it does.

Only I hope I dont have to replace the middle console to do it. With all the stuff I can end up with in the car, even just running a radar detector and charging a phone I need another outlet.

Im just a little dissapointed the car doesnt have another one already-
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

hard-wire your radar, it takes about 15 mines
Old May 1, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
hard-wire your radar, it takes about 15 mines
I think Ill do that too.

When I had the rex I almost bought one of those hardwire kits from Best Buy for my detector. But it had the same little control deal with lights so I backed out as I didnt want to drill holes in my interior for that.

So I guess I could order the same thing online for the X and just install it myself. Ive never done any auto electical work. Lots of house wiring but never auto so Im pretty nervous to do it myself espeically tearing into a brand new car interior etc.

Without getting into detector debates, can you tell me how you wired yours from the cigarrette lighter? Is that outlet still available to power other stuff?

Is there better options for power sources?

Thanks-
Old May 5, 2009, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brest Phan
I think Ill do that too.

When I had the rex I almost bought one of those hardwire kits from Best Buy for my detector. But it had the same little control deal with lights so I backed out as I didnt want to drill holes in my interior for that.

So I guess I could order the same thing online for the X and just install it myself. Ive never done any auto electical work. Lots of house wiring but never auto so Im pretty nervous to do it myself espeically tearing into a brand new car interior etc.

Without getting into detector debates, can you tell me how you wired yours from the cigarrette lighter? Is that outlet still available to power other stuff?

Is there better options for power sources?

Thanks-
it's quite easy. i have my radar and autodim/homelink mirror wired the sameway.

- get a hardwire kit, not sure what radar you have.
- get and add-a-fuse from your local parts store, make sure it is for the smaller blade type fuse. also get some fuses if they kit does not include fuses.
- mount the radar where you want to on the windshield.
- tuck the wire into the headliner
- pull off the left side a-pillar trim, run the wire down the pillar behind the airbag.
- pull off the door weather strip so you can tuck it under the dash
- remove the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel, i think it's 2 screws. unplug the acs and auto-leveling button if you had hid's
- now access the fuse panel, i believe i used the fuse for the windshield wipers since it only turns on when the key is turned to the acc position
- test it, if it all works clean up the wires and replace all the panels you took off. shouldn't take you that long. hope this helps