Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Aftermarket Nav for EVO X MR with Premium package?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket Nav for EVO X MR with Premium package?

I've heard stories of aftermarket navs not playing well with the premium Rockford Fosgate amp. Is this still true? The dealer is suggesting I go aftermarket, but what will I give up by doing so? Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:08 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would imagine that you would lose your setup function through the navi that controls the blinkers, wipers, door locks etc.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cyp
I would imagine that you would lose your setup function through the navi that controls the blinkers, wipers, door locks etc.
im curious on this statement cuz i wanted to do the same
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

i have a Pioneer aftermarket head unit that replace my fosgate package...my sub still works and everything else. The Pioneer unit has built in navi, everything works fine...i have the GSR SSS. Had it installed though, so maybe they knew what they were doing.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cyp
I am pretty you can get to all those functions through the on-board computer in the dash (between the tach and speedo). The Nav unit just makes it easier.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, you need a MUT III in order to be able to access the ETACS functions without the factory navigation system. If you replace the nav (or didn't have it to begin with) you'll have to take it to the dealer to change those setup options.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:03 AM

I am curious about this because I swapped in a factory Nav and did not have the dealer update anything. I am not sure if I am missing anything but I seem to be able to change all of my settings.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mrMTB
Nope, you need a MUT III in order to be able to access the ETACS functions without the factory navigation system. If you replace the nav (or didn't have it to begin with) you'll have to take it to the dealer to change those setup options.
would you need the dealer to do this or can we do it ourselves?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

I see how what I wrote might have been vague...

The factory navigation system communicates with the ETACS over the CAN. Once hooked up, you will have access to a menu grouping that allows you to access certain settings within the ETACS (unlock the driver door on first unlock - all doors on second, or all doors first unlock; tapping the turn signal gives one or three blinks, etc). It is my understanding that the NAV system does not need to be married to the ETACS.

The display in the dash, known as the multi-information display or MID, does not have access to these functions within the ETACS. If you do not have the MMCS in your vehicle, the only way to access these functions in the ETACS is through the MUT III - found conveniently at your local dealer.

Here's a nice writeup on the ETACS and how it works...

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...006/18e_14.pdf

I don't have any documentation on the options that are available for us within the system, but the above PDF makes reference to what some of them might be.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metra's MITO-02 is your answer. It gives you control of the RF amp/sub with your aftermarket unit. As previously posted, ETACS does not have to be connected for everything to function, but you'll also lose control of the functions related to ETACS. Some of them, however, like the FAST key functions, you can alter by using some sort of contra-cheat-code like combo with the door open/close combination or something. So it's not like you'll lose EVERYTHING, but if you don't know about the ETACS, it's very unlikely you'll miss it anyhow.

BUT, if you haven't read already, MITO-02 aren't exactly without its own issues...so it's a risk in itself.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:20 PM

I have a pioneer in my car and all my functions work had best buy do the install. Had to buy some seperate modules.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:42 PM

Camoevox. Can you verify you still have access to your cars settings?

Can MUT-3 still access ETACS if the new head unit is disconnected? If so, where does it plug in?

Last edited by martoony; Aug 29, 2012 at 01:06 PM.