Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Experience with non rf sysem adding sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Experience with non rf sysem adding sub and amp

I have a non RF system and like many owners find the stock radio rather weak, especially when driving on the highway with the windows down. I plan on keeping the stock speakers and headunit. I want to amp the stock speakers and also buy a RF sub enclosure for the trunk and keep as much trunk space as possible making the least amount of holes. I read posts of people amping aftermarket speakers. Has anyone tried to amp stock speakers and add a sub. How was your experience? I also wants to get one amp so it would be a 5 channel amp.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcheung
I have a non RF system and like many owners find the stock radio rather weak, especially when driving on the highway with the windows down. I plan on keeping the stock speakers and headunit. I want to amp the stock speakers and also buy a RF sub enclosure for the trunk and keep as much trunk space as possible making the least amount of holes. I read posts of people amping aftermarket speakers. Has anyone tried to amp stock speakers and add a sub. How was your experience? I also wants to get one amp so it would be a 5 channel amp.
Im working on getting mine done! i do not have the RF system. i do have the sub and amp though. the trunk is wired already for the factory sub but the factory amp is pretty useless. when i have some time, im going to add an aftermarket amp. i have an aftermarket head unit as well and it made the stock speakers sound so much better. wheni took out the stock head unit, it might be difficult for you to set up an amp. Are you planning on doing the work yourself?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to have a shop install it. I would love the change the head unit but i dont want to have any issue with audio controls on steering wheel and want all the bluetooth buttons to work exactly as they do now. I also dont want to mount an external microphone from an aftermarket head unit.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Metra AXXESS has the steering wheel interface to keep controls. The new headunit should be BT - but yes - you will have to mount a new microphone

The amp will still sound better with a aftermarket headunit with five channel output. Because it won't be using the speaker output (high gain) to be the input (low gain is best) for the amp.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Im leaning more toward getting a new headunit now. Will the metra Axxess aswc-1 work with both the audio controls and the bluetooth buttons for cellphones on the steering wheel? The headunit im looking at is the Sony WX-GT90BT which has built in bluetooth.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
It should. Check the metra axxess website for headunit applicability to be sure.

You will rely on the new headunit BT module - so you can remove/sell your old one