Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Need sound system advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need sound system advice

Hey guys I need some help. I currently have (boxed up) the following:

JL audio c5 components
JL audio c2 coax
JL audio m600/6 3/4/5/6 channel amp @600w
JL audio 10tw3 shallow sub

I was told by the sound shop this is enough to run successfully but now I'm being told I was played and would need another amp

I wanted one amp to run everything. Am I able to with this set up or do I have to shell out more cash :-/
Old Mar 5, 2016, 06:29 PM
Doe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EV0lvedX
Hey guys I need some help. I currently have (boxed up) the following:

JL audio c5 components
JL audio c2 coax
JL audio m600/6 3/4/5/6 channel amp @600w
JL audio 10tw3 shallow sub

I was told by the sound shop this is enough to run successfully but now I'm being told I was played and would need another amp

I wanted one amp to run everything. Am I able to with this set up or do I have to shell out more cash :-/
Your set up is a big improvement to the stock radio ...Youtube your amp and you tube how to install an amplifier. Speaker wires , connectors , and a good amp kit should run you less than 100 .. if you're not confident , I would find another shop. The jl 10wt3
Requires alot of power. I would tell the shop to run with your amp on hand. If you want more bass for 10wt3 than I would install another amp.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 08:15 AM

Thx bro I may have a shop do the install because I wanna dynomat the doors and I won't have time to do it all precisely :-( another thing though how is the oem rf sub compare to the JL one I have? I wanted to fab the oem enclosure I sourced out (my car was a base model = no rf equipment) but that may be an issue since the JL sub doesn't exactly fit in it
Old Mar 6, 2016, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
You can do it but it won't be ideal since you will need a bigger amp to drive that little monster of a sub. It's way more sub than the factory RF unit. You're best off having a custom box fiberglassed up to meet the air space recommendations for that sub. Are you thinking of stock placement or using the spare tire well? (check out this thread for a real nice example)

To do it, you can bridge one pair of the amp channels for the sub and then run it like this:

Which will get you 150w for the sub and leaving you 75w x 4 for the cabin speakers. The JL amp clearly supports this in its manual on page 10 and the sub on page 2

It should be decent but if you want more bass you'll need a dedicated sub amp.

Also, side question, why'd you go with a marine/boat amplifier? Don't get me wrong, it's a nice amp, and it's 12v so you should be fine but does it need to be water resistant?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 06:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys. Check out my boys website. I got one for my X and another one for the homies WRX. Sounds good with my JL 12W7.

http://www.wickedcas.com/home.php?cat=1

He is a 12 volt shop and mass produces prefab custom enclosures. I'll have to check out your amp to see if it's a 5 channel aamp. It should say on the box. You'll need 5 channels: 4 to support the front components and 1 channel (4 ohms) dedicated for the sub woofer.

Whats your zip code and I can recommend a shop in your area since I work in the 12volt industry. I can recommend you shop if you want a professional installation.

Youtube might show you a specific setup and installation, but I'd recommend a professional installation.

Do you have an aftermarket head unit?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by splattj
You can do it but it won't be ideal since you will need a bigger amp to drive that little monster of a sub. It's way more sub than the factory RF unit. You're best off having a custom box fiberglassed up to meet the air space recommendations for that sub. Are you thinking of stock placement or using the spare tire well? (check out this thread for a real nice example)

To do it, you can bridge one pair of the amp channels for the sub and then run it like this:

Which will get you 150w for the sub and leaving you 75w x 4 for the cabin speakers. The JL amp clearly supports this in its manual on page 10 and the sub on page 2

It should be decent but if you want more bass you'll need a dedicated sub amp.

Also, side question, why'd you go with a marine/boat amplifier? Don't get me wrong, it's a nice amp, and it's 12v so you should be fine but does it need to be water resistant?
So it is doable. I'm not looking for heavy bass but a smooth blend with my low mids and highs .... But the issue with is the enclosure. and the amp wasnt my initial choice but I got it on Black Friday for 200 so u can't beat that brand new lol

Last edited by EV0lvedX; Mar 7, 2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Na
Old Mar 7, 2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by TurboNubCake
Guys. Check out my boys website. I got one for my X and another one for the homies WRX. Sounds good with my JL 12W7.

http://www.wickedcas.com/home.php?cat=1

He is a 12 volt shop and mass produces prefab custom enclosures. I'll have to check out your amp to see if it's a 5 channel aamp. It should say on the box. You'll need 5 channels: 4 to support the front components and 1 channel (4 ohms) dedicated for the sub woofer.

Whats your zip code and I can recommend a shop in your area since I work in the 12volt industry. I can recommend you shop if you want a professional installation.

Youtube might show you a specific setup and installation, but I'd recommend a professional installation.

Do you have an aftermarket head unit?
Okay. 94544. And factory touch screen (non navi)
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sound Innovations
29400 Kohoutek Way #100
Union City, CA 94587
510 471 9062
http://www.soundinnovations.com/

My western sales rep recommend them.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If skip the JL amp. Pioneer has a new digital 5 channel amp I think it's gm 9605 or something like that. It's a third of the price and just as good.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
If skip the JL amp. Pioneer has a new digital 5 channel amp I think it's gm 9605 or something like that. It's a third of the price and just as good.
This statement is absolutely incorrect. Pioneer amplifiers (not counting their stage 4 stuff) are nowhere near JL in quality (both production and output). Look at the spec sheets side by side and the differences will be clear. Hell, even their JX series are still far superior to pioneer amplifiers. This applies to speakers and subwoofers as well.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

and @EVOLvedX - Sell that 600/6 and pick up a XD1000/5v2. The 600/6 does not provide enough power for that sub....and trying to push any real volume out of it at those power levels is going to lead to heavy distortion and well....a bad sounding system.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by jakeleclair2000
and @EVOLvedX - Sell that 600/6 and pick up a XD1000/5v2. The 600/6 does not provide enough power for that sub....and trying to push any real volume out of it at those power levels is going to lead to heavy distortion and well....a bad sounding system.
Idk how resale would help even though it's brand new. I doubt anyone would want it lol but would that be better ?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryEvo
**** a pioneer YA its called CHEAP *** ****.