Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

help on iDataLink Maestro compatibility

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help on iDataLink Maestro RR compatibility

I'm looking at installing the iDataLink Maestro RR in lieu of a few gauges on my 2013 Evo X MR, and unsure if it's compatible or not. I have a Kenwood stereo if that helps.

Last edited by Valerie Strong; Sep 28, 2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old May 10, 2017, 08:08 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Necro bump, ever get this working?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:03 AM

It looks like it is. I've picked up a Kenwood DMX7706s and will be attempting the install. I'll be installing into a '13 GSR without the RF system.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 08:37 AM

I was able to Install the Maestro RR no problem. I have all my steering wheel buttons working and I have the ability to display the boost gauge, water temps, etc from the OBD2 CAN tap. No need for a boost gauge install now! I am doing this with the Kenwood DMX7706s. Install took awhile as I soldered all connections, added pins to the harness for the steering wheel buttons and de-pinned / removed all unused wires. altogether a great install. the biggest issue was positioning the Kenwood deck on the mounts. I now have digital gauges for OBD2 readouts like boost, intake temp, MAF, and a more precision water temp and fuel capacity. I also gained Android Auto / Apple car play and kept steering wheel buttons which I can even custom configure now. I can confirm it works on a 2013 GSR without the RF system.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeremy_montoya
I was able to Install the Maestro RR no problem. I have all my steering wheel buttons working and I have the ability to display the boost gauge, water temps, etc from the OBD2 CAN tap. No need for a boost gauge install now! I am doing this with the Kenwood DMX7706s. Install took awhile as I soldered all connections, added pins to the harness for the steering wheel buttons and de-pinned / removed all unused wires. altogether a great install. the biggest issue was positioning the Kenwood deck on the mounts. I now have digital gauges for OBD2 readouts like boost, intake temp, MAF, and a more precision water temp and fuel capacity. I also gained Android Auto / Apple car play and kept steering wheel buttons which I can even custom configure now. I can confirm it works on a 2013 GSR without the RF system.

jeremy_montoya What does the OBD2 CAN tap do ? Do you connect a OBD2 to the cars port and connect a USB to your head-unit ?

In addition can you provide some pics of your setup ?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cflo23
jeremy_montoya What does the OBD2 CAN tap do ? Do you connect a OBD2 to the cars port and connect a USB to your head-unit ?

In addition can you provide some pics of your setup ?
I simply ran two wires from the Maestro into the CAN high and CAN low terminals on the OBD2 port. No USB involved on that side. Everything works very nicely and the Kenwood gauges match our DIM display theme very well. I was also able to modify the bootup on the kenwood to show the Mitsu Daimond instead of the Kenwood logo. All my steering wheel buttons work. the wiring is super clean and the OBD2 port can still be used for scans if needed, but the Kenwood can now view and clear engine codes (according to the documentation from iDatalink) should I get one, so I do't need to use Torque anymore. Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited by jeremy_montoya; Sep 23, 2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 07:58 AM

I think there is an issue with Mode 23 as my boost gauge isn't exceeding 22.9 psi. Baro is 14psi, so that makes sense with the 36.9 max. I'll submit a support request to iDatalink to see if it can support 8-bit addressing for gauges.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 09:34 AM

The idatalink Maestro only picks up generic PIDs. they may in the future when they add a t harness work out picking up the rest of them,. but right now, you get really basic gauges off public pids. still helpful, but not perfect. Better than the standard steering wheel controls only units. Perhaps iDatalink adds more features when and if they do a T-harness for the Evo.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help

The idatalink Maestro only picks up generic PIDs. they may in the future when they add a t harness work out picking up the rest of them,. but right now, you get really basic gauges off public pids. still helpful, but not perfect. Better than the standard steering wheel controls only units. Perhaps iDatalink adds more features when and if they do a T-harness for the Evo.

What wiring harness did you use I got a rr and the site said no wiring harnesses where needed and im at a loss
Old Feb 2, 2021, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know if maestro works WITH a Rockford fosgate system?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Why wouldn't it? The RF just has an amp. You should be able to check compatibility at crutchfield.com.