Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Where for art thou Tactrix and your Open Port 2.0 cable....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by MOREPSiTEHBETT4
what is the difference between what a licensed tuner(say aem trained for example) can do compared to the open ecu software

i know that's a very vague question; I am just wondering if it just takes you longer to tune yourself, but eventually you can get the same results...or if the tuners experience is really what you need and his good base map to start with..

do you start from sratch with open ecu or is there a base map you can download?

does the software work with any wideband?/ what does the software allow you to work with as far as getting data?

Thank's for the answering of the q's if anyone can/wll.
An AEM-licensed tuner will be trained in tuning an AEM standalone. An AEM and the stock ECU have some of the same basic tables (e.g., timing, afr, MIVEC), but there are also many differences between an AEM and the stock ECU.

It would be better to compare ECUFlash to ECUTek. Both are products that are used to reflash the stock ECU. With either system, a combination of software and hardware are used to download the entire ROM (engine control program) from the ECU to a laptop computer. The tuning tables (timing, afr, MIVEC, etc) are modified by a tuner or an individual, and then the tuned ROM is uploaded back to the ECU.

ECUtek is sold only tuning shops while ECUFlash is available to the general public and is used by both by individuals and some tuning shops. Shops that use ECUTek receive training and support from ECUTek on how to use the reflashing system. ECUFlash provides no direct support on tuning or the use of the software.

Some shops like to promote ECUTek because it keeps the tuning in their control, and the shops can receive support from ECUTek should something go wrong in the reflashing process. For the Evo 8/9 where both ECUTek and ECUFlash are both available, many shops prefer to use ECUFlash for several reasons. First is that there is no license fee, so tunes are less expensive. Second, the ECUFlash tuning community has continued to work on finding tables that allow the stock ECU to be tuned more and more effectively. To the best of my knowledge, ECUTek has not provided an update to the Evo 8/9 tuning maps in several years. And third, the ECUFlash tuning community has actually developed a large number of patches to the stock ECU programming that provide increased functionality. ECUTek has never provided this sort of option. The end result is that except for the support provided by ECUTek, ECUFlash is a much better choice for tuning the Evo 8/9. ECUFlash for the 10 will undoubtedly go through the same evolution that it did for the Evo 8/9, probably at a much accelerated pace than for the Evo 8/9. It remains to be seen how committed ECUTek will be to the Evo 10 in finding more tables, but its very unlikely that they will ever provide patches to the code like what will become available to the Evo 10 via ECUFlash.

Last edited by mrfred; Nov 16, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
FWIW there is no such thing as a licensed tuner, there are just people who are trained in different forms of engine management.

Be very very aware that Training in a tool, and the artistic skill are two different things..

Everyone can hold a paint brush, but very few can create works of art. Training and certification programs are ONLY indicators that someone is qualified to USE the software or devices, NOT necessarily to properly tune a car.

Buyer beware.

With that said, the Factory ECU is far more complex and capable than the AEM can ever be. The main difference is all of the AEM parameters and functionality is currently known. The ECU still has a large amount of information and parameters that are not entirely understood.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:30 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
FWIW there is no such thing as a licensed tuner, there are just people who are trained in different forms of engine management.

Be very very aware that Training in a tool, and the artistic skill are two different things..

Everyone can hold a paint brush, but very few can create works of art. Training and certification programs are ONLY indicators that someone is qualified to USE the software or devices, NOT necessarily to properly tune a car.

Buyer beware.

With that said, the Factory ECU is far more complex and capable than the AEM can ever be. The main difference is all of the AEM parameters and functionality is currently known. The ECU still has a large amount of information and parameters that are not entirely understood.
I have seen may ECU maps created by a so called "licensed" or "professional" tuner and there are some that looked like an ape with a paint brush created. So I agree, licensing or being a professional doesn't mean a thing.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 04:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by SiC
I have seen may ECU maps created by a so called "licensed" or "professional" tuner and there are some that looked like an ape with a paint brush created. So I agree, licensing or being a professional doesn't mean a thing.
I think ECUFlash has done more to disspell the "professional" tuner myth than anything else that's ever happened in the tuning world. There are some good tuners out there though.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technically a professional tuner is anyone that tunes for money. It doesn't always mean they are better. In my opinion lots of professional tuners are lazy. They will not optimize your map to reflect everything. Such as accel / decel enrichment. Closed Loop Target tables. some even skip tuning warm up enrichment.

EFI 101 has a certification class but I don't really know much about it since I have never taken it. From what I hear that is not ECU dependent and is a straight class about theory and real world tuning.

To learn to tune properly is all experience. And since we know our cars best and how we want them to drive, it is best that you learn to tune your own car. It is very time intensive to learn and tune.

Sorry but I don't believe the Stock ECU is more capable then the AEM EMS. You will understand this if you have ever downloaded and messed with the AEM Pro software. But lots of the extra parameters are useless. A simple explanation is a stock ecu doesn't have the ability to change between the 3 different basic tuning methods. Alpha-N, Speed Density, and Mass Air.