Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Evo X Mode 23 Logging/Dashboard/Gauges (hey tephra!)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo X Mode 23 Logging/Dashboard/Gauges (hey tephra!)

I would send this via PM, but your box is full

I've just wired up my MMCS to allow me to display whatever video signal I want while driving (basically I wired into the backup camera input and can flip a switch to "fake" the MMCS into thinking that the car is in reverse). It does display a message at the bottom of the screen about looking out for your surroundings, but no big deal.

I have a netbook (eeepc) with a scan converter (vga -> RGB) and I would like to display gauges on the MMCS while I'm at the track. Logging is secondary, but important never the less. I'm thinking large display (since the MMCS is low res) of AFR, boost, knock sensor (red light maybe?), any temp we can get via the ECU (egt, oil, etc.) at the very least so I can see what's going on. Maybe a playback button. Maybe integrate it with maxqdata?

I'm a software developer by trade (mostly C#, haven't done C++ in years), but I'd love to pick at what you're doing with your command line app (basically just to see the protocol for looking for/talking to the OP2.0 cable).

Ideally I'd be able to read from my innovate LC-1 wideband (serial connection) as well.

I know the gauges are there in EvoScan, but I've not gotten them to work as well as I'd like them to.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is your screen touchscreen too, how does it work? via usb port? or do you just use a mouse?

what VGA to RCA scan converter are you using? Do you know were I can get one from?

sounds like 1.6Ghz on those ATOM processors are not very powerful for gauges. I have built some faster gauges for my windows CE GPS devices. I could put them into EvoScan if you like. I have only done them as 480x272 res though I will be making some 800x600 gauges soon for my new 7" touchscreens.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Try enabling Multithreading from the logging menu in EvoScan, that might help the gauges run a little faster on that lowgrade netbook graphics card. also ensure you are only logging less than 10 items so that you get the speed out of the vehicle ecu for what you are displaying.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to do a write up on how to do this. Or at least tell me what wires to hook up/tap. I would like to do the same.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Red Dragon, what are you talking about? what wires? tap into what? like to do the same as what? I see you are selling your 7" monitor, what are you going to use instead now?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo4mad
is your screen touchscreen too, how does it work? via usb port? or do you just use a mouse?
It's the stock MMCS (nav) screen, so it is a touch screen, but I'm not using any of those capabilities since I'm just piping in video via the composite in (for the backup camera).

what VGA to RCA scan converter are you using? Do you know were I can get one from?
a cheap one that powers off the USB port. It converts the VGA -> Composite (or Svideo).

sounds like 1.6Ghz on those ATOM processors are not very powerful for gauges. I have built some faster gauges for my windows CE GPS devices. I could put them into EvoScan if you like. I have only done them as 480x272 res though I will be making some 800x600 gauges soon for my new 7" touchscreens.
This is actually a Celeron 733. It's the original eee pc 701. The issue with evoscan isn't a responsiveness one, but one of having to open evoscan, then start logging, then show gauges.

Ideally, I'd have an always running program that would handle sleep/hibernation/disconnect from the sources (op2.0/lc-1) gracefully that would just be a guage package (and maybe logging). I think I'm going to have to run the LCD at a pretty low resolution (maybe 720x480) though, since at 800x600 it's both stretched and low quality.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
You need to do a write up on how to do this. Or at least tell me what wires to hook up/tap. I would like to do the same.
It's not terribly difficult. The next time I have the back of the MMCS visible I'll take some pictures to write something up.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin

I've just wired up my MMCS to allow me to display whatever video signal I want while driving (basically I wired into the backup camera input and can flip a switch to "fake" the MMCS into thinking that the car is in reverse). It does display a message at the bottom of the screen about looking out for your surroundings, but no big deal.
^ What is the process needed to do this? I am just using the stock oem navi screen

Also wondering if it would be possible to create a software/ hardware or some kind of plug and play module to incorperate the evoscan program with the stock navi. I know they sell the EvoScan GPSNav Touchscreen, which means i would have to fab up a bracket for it (dont like the window mount). i would like to see some thing using the oem navi. I know the resolution is not the greatest, but i just want to monitor some simple gauges and do some data logging.

Last edited by Red Dragon; Jun 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Try enabling Multithreading from the logging menu in EvoScan, that might help the gauges run a little faster on that lowgrade netbook graphics card. also ensure you are only logging less than 10 items so that you get the speed out of the vehicle ecu for what you are displaying.
I'll try that. I'm only logging wb02, rpm, knock sum, psig, load and ipw (all mode23 except the wb02). It's definitely logging quick enough to be useful as a gauge display!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:59 PM

I have a Pioneer touch screen headunit, will it be possible to do this?

thank
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

OK.. here's a little video Pardon the crappy cell phone quality. There is actually RPM and MPH on the gauge display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe08eiR1jX0
Old Jun 6, 2010, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

any news on the new 7" touchscreens? a double din 7" that plays divx/mp3 and does evoscan/gps would be PERFECT. I'm sure many would agree to run it as a headunit replacement.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

^ Im curious about this also
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:45 AM

Sorry for bringing an old thread back, but did you ever get this project up and running? I am trying to figure out how to do a gauge layout display like the ones that are seen on the GTR. Wish Mitsu would make the Nav unit display the same info on Evoscan.