Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Shooting Flames

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derekste
not it doesn't. driving without a catalytic converter is a FEDERAL offense, fyi.

also, you can still shoot flames with the proper cat (-:
the $1500 fines the cali folks get are imposed at the state level, they are not imposed at the federal level. yes it is a federal charge but if anyone has any information about a no-cat ticket being charged at a fedeal level please let me know. other wise i will stand behind the statement that it is a local charge that is issued for no cats
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently I am blowing flames out of my Xtemeboost downpipe out the wastegate dump pipe as well. Is that possible? I was canyon cruising last weekend, and merging onto the highway, I went full throttle in 4th and let off. A couple in a scion followed me to a red light just to tell me my car looked like a BBQ throwing a billowing flame out the exhaust and from the bottom of the car too. I jacked the car up to check the dump pipe, and there is exhaust pressure that does come out of that pipe when the car is idling. My AFR's are 11.4 at 25 psi under full throttle, didn't think that was rich enough to BBQ.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newcomer81
the $1500 fines the cali folks get are imposed at the state level, they are not imposed at the federal level. yes it is a federal charge but if anyone has any information about a no-cat ticket being charged at a fedeal level please let me know. other wise i will stand behind the statement that it is a local charge that is issued for no cats
lack of enforcement doesn't change the fact that it is illegal everywhere in the US. maybe I'm just getting old and don't feel like pushing the boundaries like I used to, but I wouldn't want to be the first person to get charged with a federal crime for not having a cat. sure, it is unlikely, but do you really want to find out?

on another note, please run a catalytic converter. it has been proven time and time again that the power gains of a test pipe vs. a good high-flowing cat are negligible. if you choose to drive with a test pipe daily, you might as well just tattoo "I'm a selfish cockk" on your forehead and get it over with, because that is essentially the message you are sending to the world.

the irony of this whole situation is, that while EvoM seems to outlaw threads discussing street racing, the discussion of test pipes driven on the street goes completely uninhibited.

</rant>
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
lack of enforcement doesn't change the fact that it is illegal everywhere in the US. maybe I'm just getting old and don't feel like pushing the boundaries like I used to, but I wouldn't want to be the first person to get charged with a federal crime for not having a cat. sure, it is unlikely, but do you really want to find out?

on another note, please run a catalytic converter. it has been proven time and time again that the power gains of a test pipe vs. a good high-flowing cat are negligible. if you choose to drive with a test pipe daily, you might as well just tattoo "I'm a selfish cockk" on your forehead and get it over with, because that is essentially the message you are sending to the world.

the irony of this whole situation is, that while EvoM seems to outlaw threads discussing street racing, the discussion of test pipes driven on the street goes completely uninhibited.

</rant>
Mil spec cats FTW!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

</rant>
now that you have that out of your system, how about you do some research on catalytic converters and see that they are not some magical device that turns exhaust into sunshine, flowers and water. It is transferring harmful things into other (arguably more) harmful things. they solved one problem and have created a new one.
a quick google brought up a slightly bias article but it hits on the negative side effects rather well
http://www.lcc.ukf.net/kskills/catconv.htm
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

now that you have that out of your system, how about you do some research on catalytic converters and see that they are not some magical device that turns exhaust into sunshine, flowers and water. It is transferring harmful things into other (arguably more) harmful things. they solved one problem and have created a new one.
a quick google brought up a slightly bias article but it hits on the negative side effects rather well
http://www.lcc.ukf.net/kskills/catconv.htm
you could have at least quoted wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalyt...nmental_impact) and not linked to some crappy page that lacks citations and could have been written by a 5th grader.

I'm not looking to turn this into an argument about what causes global warming, but 35 years of science and no one has yet to give a compelling reason to stop using them. (trust me, if it could be done, they would have by now. do you think auto manufacturers like the added cost of putting cats in cars?). I'm not sure how much you know about chemistry, but CO(non-cat car) is poisonous to humans, and is not converted to oxygen by plants. CO2(cat'd car) on the other hand is arguably less poisonous, and can be processed out of the atmosphere by plants.

at any rate, a point which you cannot disagree with me on is that it is illegal to drive on the streets without one.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not looking to turn this into an argument about what causes global warming
me either it has been done on these forums many times but jumping in to a topic just to cal people who don't run cats ***** wasn't very constructive
at any rate, a point which you cannot disagree with me on is that it is illegal to drive on the streets without one.
no where in this thread was it argued that it wasn't illegal... no real point to this, thanks

Last edited by newcomer81; Oct 1, 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: fixed quote issue
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

you could have at least quoted wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalyt...nmental_impact) and not linked to some crappy page that lacks citations and could have been written by a 5th grader.

I'm not looking to turn this into an argument about what causes global warming, but 35 years of science and no one has yet to give a compelling reason to stop using them. (trust me, if it could be done, they would have by now. do you think auto manufacturers like the added cost of putting cats in cars?). I'm not sure how much you know about chemistry, but CO(non-cat car) is poisonous to humans, and is not converted to oxygen by plants. CO2(cat'd car) on the other hand is arguably less poisonous, and can be processed out of the atmosphere by plants.

CO is poinsonus to human - no smell, but kills you quickly and "painfully"
CO2 is only unbreatheable (of course, there is no O2), but is a common part of athmosphere.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

me either it has been done on these forums many times but jumping in to a topic just to cal people who don't run cats ***** wasn't very constructive
no where in this thread was it argued that it wasn't illegal... no real point to this, thanks
my point was, discussion of illegal activities is banned on EvoM. Running catless is illegal. Ergo, some of the discussions in this thread are against EvoM forum policy
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So stop talking about it already.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

an evo got pulled last night for illegal exhaust (loud as hell straight pipe externally gated) in va beach. it was a $30 fix it ticket (and another $30 for tint). so the penalties vary quite a bit.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

Are you serious! You should get that checked out!...Just kidding, lol. Wish I could do that, my exhaust diverts under the car.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

an evo got pulled last night for illegal exhaust (loud as hell straight pipe externally gated) in va beach. it was a $30 fix it ticket (and another $30 for tint). so the penalties vary quite a bit.
that is called "getting off easy"
Old Oct 3, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
So stop talking about it already.
um, how about "No" ?

some of us actually care about the environment
Old Oct 3, 2009, 02:56 PM

Enough talk about the legalty of this issue lets see some vids of the flames. Also what catted downpipe would be good for shooting flames too.

Quick Reply: Shooting Flames