Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Two odd behaviors I have observed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two odd behaviors I have observed

So I just wanted to make a post in here (as opposed to the Evo X general forum) to see if anyone else has encountered these issues.

I experienced this first issue on both the 0017 and 0020 ROMs: Sometimes at idle, at a stop, and out of gear, the engine won't idle below 2000 RPM. Yes, this is a HOT engine. Shutting the car off and starting it again seems to fix this problem. I happened to be logging once while it happened and noticed my TPS was stuck higher than normal. Faulty TPS?

2nd issue has only happened once on the 0020 ROM (and after the newest AWC reflash... doubt that is related though) and is possibly the most alarming: while cruising along at normal speeds in 4th gear, the car totally lost power and died and the display went all CEL-y. I coasted to the side of the road, and eventually it felt like the power came back, but I shut it off anyways, popped the hood, nothing wrong, etc. and drove away. Almost felt like when my cam angle sensor was going bad in my 1G DSM...

Not necessarily looking for a "fix" for the problems, but more interested in seeing if they are occurring to cars besides mine? Any input appreciated!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by derekste
So I just wanted to make a post in here (as opposed to the Evo X general forum) to see if anyone else has encountered these issues.

I experienced this first issue on both the 0017 and 0020 ROMs: Sometimes at idle, at a stop, and out of gear, the engine won't idle below 2000 RPM. Yes, this is a HOT engine. Shutting the car off and starting it again seems to fix this problem. I happened to be logging once while it happened and noticed my TPS was stuck higher than normal. Faulty TPS?

2nd issue has only happened once on the 0020 ROM (and after the newest AWC reflash... doubt that is related though) and is possibly the most alarming: while cruising along at normal speeds in 4th gear, the car totally lost power and died and the display went all CEL-y. I coasted to the side of the road, and eventually it felt like the power came back, but I shut it off anyways, popped the hood, nothing wrong, etc. and drove away. Almost felt like when my cam angle sensor was going bad in my 1G DSM...

Not necessarily looking for a "fix" for the problems, but more interested in seeing if they are occurring to cars besides mine? Any input appreciated!
I've never seen this in 27k miles.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
any DTC codes stored?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:31 AM
Account Disabled

sounds like limp mode from airflow/torque limiters, 2k idle and cuts boost
Old Oct 8, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
any DTC codes stored?
nope

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
sounds like limp mode from airflow/torque limiters, 2k idle and cuts boost
could explain the 2k idle. I'm currently on a MBC, so that would explain why I am not seeing boost cut. no code with limp mode? it seems to happen at the oddest times, usually during a rev-match downshift.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 07:56 AM

I agree with GST for the first issue.

I have had my car do the second one before, and I found that Mistubishi did not bolt my battery down in the trunk and was free to move around. Being loose, one of the cables had loosened off the battery terminal. I only noticed it when I had to give another car a jump start.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rfielder
I agree with GST for the first issue.

I have had my car do the second one before, and I found that Mistubishi did not bolt my battery down in the trunk and was free to move around. Being loose, one of the cables had loosened off the battery terminal. I only noticed it when I had to give another car a jump start.
My battery terminal was loose too. The result was hard starts.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

happened again today... but instead of 2k it was at about 1500-1700. I'll catch it on a log one of these days... hopefully proving my TPS signal theory.