Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

ECU boost control

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Whitewind!

Does anyone know if we have the ability to log Boost error yet?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes in Evoscan just click box. (mode23)

See picture.
Attached Thumbnails ECU boost control-untitled.jpg  
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm.. I must have an older data.xml.

In fact I remember, I only have mode23 items listed. Are these native mode (non mode23) items as fast as mode23?

I guess I need to find the most current data.xml file available
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Why would you even want to log non-mode23? Do you have mode23 enabled? if not enable it and log with mode23. Everything is there in evoscan.

If you don't know how enable it, look it up on here. You will find it.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

I have it, I log with mode23....

Your screenshot of boost correction looked like a non mode23 item

Can you post your data.xml file in case I don't have this? I'm not at home right now to check
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
I have it, I log with mode23....

Your screenshot of boost correction looked like a non mode23 item

Can you post your data.xml file in case I don't have this? I'm not at home right now to check
Now this is my Data.xml for evoscan 2.7

Well It's mode23 because if it was not I would not be able to log any of this things.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
data.xml.zip (26.3 KB, 0 views)
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks!!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

My boost stability issues will have to go on pause for a minute......

While datalogging for boost I noticed that my A/F's have become leaner than I like.

I know there is suppossed to me a discrepency between the Target A/F and actual A/F but I'm seeing numbers 1-1.5 leaner than the map and IDC is hitting 115% around 7k rpm.

I don't believe that is normal for a car with my minor mods(see sig).

I'll start a new thread with data soon... Meanwhile if anyone has numbers for what IDC should be for 11:1 A/F at 7k with my mods, let me know please.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have a wb? Dont worry what your map shows its AAFR you need look at. Use that formula to adjust. now on your IDC I dont know if fuel pump relay will cause that to be that way/high. Mine on evoscan is in low 90%.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, have a wb02...I'm at 11.4 at 7300rpm, I want to be at 11.0 but IDC is already 115%

Your at 90% IDC, but what is your load around that point? I'm at 210 load at 7k..

New thread with data:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ock-turbo.html
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:32 PM
Account Disabled

If it's leaning out the top I would check the relay. It shouldn't be at 115% at your level without a failure(ing) of something.

- Bryan
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
If it's leaning out the top I would check the relay. It shouldn't be at 115% at your level without a failure(ing) of something.

- Bryan

Bryan, that was my initial thought as well, but as I think about this more I have some other thoughts....I'll share, just hear me out.

I am concerned that I am running leaner than I want to be, however, I am more concerned about the 115% IDC.

Now, what drives IDC at WOT? To my knowledge it is Open loop - so - simply Load and Fuel map/injector scaling. My understanding is there is no feedback loop (at WOT) to even tell the ecu that a FP is failing.

So in my mind, if the FP or FP relay was failing, the ECU would not be aware enough to drive the IDC higher. It would simply keep the lower IDC's and you would see lean Wb02 readings.

I had the relay fail on me months ago and when it did I was seeing 12.5-13 a/f's. Currently I get as rich as 10.8(6000rpm) and then 11.4 or so at 7300.

Your thoughts on this?

Last edited by tsitalon1; Jan 14, 2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

What l said and brian said IDC should not be that high. Change the relay on safe side if not then maybe your fuel pump is having issues.

But something is making your IDC go that high. So think why would they be that high??? If it can't hit it's target AFR in the MAP, IDC will keep going up in % till it can't go no more where that's at I don't know. You got Relay or fuel pump issue in my mind.

Bryan know sh*t load more than me and that I do know!!!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:48 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Bryan, that was my initial thought as well, but as I think about this more I have some other thoughts....I'll share, just hear me out.

I am concerned that I am running leaner than I want to be, however, I am more concerned about the 115% IDC.

Now, what drives IDC at WOT? To my knowledge it is Open loop - so - simply Load and Fuel map/injector scaling. My understanding is there is no feedback loop (at WOT) to even tell the ecu that a FP is failing.

So in my mind, if the FP or FP relay was failing, the ECU would not be aware enough to drive the IDC higher. It would simply keep the lower IDC's and you would see lean Wb02 readings.

I had the relay fail on me months ago and when it did I was seeing 12.5-13 a/f's. Currently I get as rich as 10.8(6000rpm) and then 11.4 or so at 7300.

Your thoughts on this?
If the relay is failing, or the pump is failing, or there is a restriction somewhere in the system, then the ECU is still trying to send a certain amount of fuel through the injectors, so it will give it more pulsewidth to try and meet those demands until it can't anymore and the injectors go static with crazy IDC %.

The 03-04's had horrible pumps and would start failing. The car would go lean and the IDC's would be through the roof. Just replacing the pump brought the AFR and IDC's back inline.

Have you done anything pump wise on the car?

- Bryan
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
If the relay is failing, or the pump is failing, or there is a restriction somewhere in the system, then the ECU is still trying to send a certain amount of fuel through the injectors, so it will give it more pulsewidth to try and meet those demands until it can't anymore and the injectors go static with crazy IDC %.

The 03-04's had horrible pumps and would start failing. The car would go lean and the IDC's would be through the roof. Just replacing the pump brought the AFR and IDC's back inline.

Have you done anything pump wise on the car?

- Bryan

Haven't touched the pump, and I swapped relays with the headlight relay this morning with no change in behavior.

Bryan, I am not arguing but would to know how the ecu knows the pump is failing during WOT, I thought it was open loop?

I haven't touched the pump, but I guess I can check the filter, soon as I find it

Quick Reply: ECU boost control