Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

ECU boost control

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Haven't touched the pump, and I swapped relays with the headlight relay this morning with no change in behavior.

Bryan, I am not arguing but would to know how the ecu knows the pump is failing during WOT, I thought it was open loop?

I haven't touched the pump, but I guess I can check the filter, soon as I find it
It doesn't know the pump is failing, but if the pump is slacking on fuel delivery, the injectors have to pick up the slack and try to spray more fuel to reach target, which will increase the IDC.

I take it you checked your FPR vac line, any lines to the induction tube post MAF, etc etc?

The pump fuel filter is contained within the white plastic pump assembly and is almost impossible to check visually.

- bryan
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
It doesn't know the pump is failing, but if the pump is slacking on fuel delivery, the injectors have to pick up the slack and try to spray more fuel to reach target, which will increase the IDC.

I take it you checked your FPR vac line, any lines to the induction tube post MAF, etc etc?

The pump fuel filter is contained within the white plastic pump assembly and is almost impossible to check visually.

- bryan
Yep, I checked the FPR vac line..it's good. Swapped FP relays....Didn't check vac lines on intake tube yet....Will do, however trims seem ok, idle at .9 and cruise at 4.0

Can you tell me what typical load and IDC would be for my setup?

I'm still confused as I thought open loop meant the ecu doesn't have a feedback loop to adjust IPW during WOT.

Based on the other thread and this thread I will check for:

Large exhaust leaks
Intake leak on intake tube.

I really don't want to pull the pump, If I do I'll just replace the sucker.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

Yea usually if it's the relay it goes much leaner.

You can try dropping the boost 2-3 psi from 5500 to 7k and see what your IDC's and AFR do. If the IDC's drop and AFR's fall in line then I would say possible pump going. I see this with the OEM pump when I start reaching the max of them or if they start failing.

Your little drop to 9.X in your fuel table 6000 plus in the 200-240 range is odd. Have you tried "leaning" out that area and see what your IDC's do like Tephra suggested?

In open loop it goes off the fuel map and does whatever it can to hit the fuel map target. If it needs to increase fuel delivery at the injectors to meet that target, it will, up until the injectors go static.

Your load looks correct but your IDC's do not. On 91, with richer AFR because of it, I start seeing the stock injectors max out a little over 300whp on our dyno and it usually takes full turboback no cat, open filter, etc to do that, just like the Evo 9's.

- bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Jan 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Yea usually if it's the relay it goes much leaner.

You can try dropping the boost 2-3 psi from 5500 to 7k and see what your IDC's and AFR do. If the IDC's drop and AFR's fall in line then I would say possible pump going. I see this with the OEM pump when I start reaching the max of them or if they start failing.

Your little drop to 9.X in your fuel table 6000 plus in the 200-240 range is odd.

In open loop it goes off the fuel map and does whatever it can to hit the fuel map target. If it needs to increase fuel delivery at the injectors to meet that target, it will, up until the injectors go static.

- bryan
Ok...thanks for the clarification. I was sure it didn't adjust WOT. Thanks for the education.

6000 and up fuel map was my attempt to richen A/F and see if it actually worked, as you can see..no go

You are sure are I couldn't be maxing out the injector though right? Cause If I am I am willing to get some DW1000's.

Last edited by tsitalon1; Jan 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

I'm done lol....... No way you are maxing them IDC% out with your setup. Change your pump and let be in past man... Might as well upgrade your pump while you are there. Just think about it man it will just be another mod then not a repair lol.

Man in the 6 months of having my X (Never owned evo before or tuned new cars) I sure have learned and learning a lot from people on here. Good luck man!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like have the same problem here on Evo x sst with 3" full exhaust system, complete ams intercooler pipe set, 18psi boost @7000 rpm and 11.2 afr, pump gas. The IDC is near 100% ~97% which so high ?!

With a simple fuel pump upgrage can we turn up the boost with a GM 3 port till 20psi what the stock Evo X turbo can push redline ?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VGergo
Seems like have the same problem here on Evo x sst with 3" full exhaust system, complete ams intercooler pipe set, 18psi boost @7000 rpm and 11.2 afr, pump gas. The IDC is near 100% ~97% which so high ?!

With a simple fuel pump upgrage can we turn up the boost with a GM 3 port till 20psi what the stock Evo X turbo can push redline ?
You don't need a pump. I'm the OP, so I've been down this road before.

You need injectors.

Also, the stock turbo will max around 18-19 at redline. At least, that is what most people can achieve, there are always a few freak cars out there that can hold 20.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
You don't need a pump. I'm the OP, so I've been down this road before.

You need injectors.

Also, the stock turbo will max around 18-19 at redline. At least, that is what most people can achieve, there are always a few freak cars out there that can hold 20.
so that is normal on the X to upgrade fuel system with that upgrades
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
sorry it was off topic , i opened a new thread about my question

ROb

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 12, 2010 at 08:56 AM.