Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Calculate load from WGDC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calculate load from WGDC?

Hi guys,
I've just started to tune my boost and this is the procedure I follow:
1) disable boost correction
2) tune passive WGDC
3) check which loads are hit now, and change the target loads accordingly for each rpm
4) enable boost correction again

So, this is for full load (last 2 columns in BTEL table) but as you know passive WGDC affects also partial loads so what about the rest of the table? I mean, to determine the target loads for lower TPS values, is there a way to correlate it to the (tuned) passive WGDC? Or (as done for full load) do I have to sweep all the table with boost correction off, check the obtained loads, and fill the table with these values? This would require much more time.

Thanks for your help!
Stefano
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also shoot for target loads, which you need to figure out first.

So I found that pretty much with the stock MAF scaling you will hit these value...

These values are set for flat road.

24-25 psi = 240-250 load
26-27 psi =260-270 load
28-30 psi = 275-300+ load

So you have your load offset at 100 for example, than you would need 160 load @ 100% TPS to hit 260 load or about 25/26psi in your boost load tables. Pretty much maxing out both tables for WGDC for active and passive solenoids, should give you about 24/25 psi, if the stock WG tension is kept stock.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your answer!
But what about partial loads? I mean, ok i@ 100% TPS I can get more or less those load values with stock setup, if I maximize the WGDC (and in any case it's not so long to check which loads I really hit without boost correction, and the adjust the target load accordingly; it's just a pull), but then I have to fill all the target load table, also at partial loads: so, do I have to sweep all the table or, starting from the WOT load, I can desume the loads for lower TPS values (for each rpm)?

Thanks again, I just don't want to make a quite long job (sweeping all the table) if there's a better way to do this.

Stefano

Last edited by therocket; Jun 29, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by therocket
Thanks for your answer!
But what about partial loads? I mean, ok in WOT I can get more or less those load values with stock setup if I maximize the WGDC (and in any case it's not so long to check which loads I really hit, it's just a pull), but then I have to fill all the target load table, also at partial loads: so, do I have to sweep all the table or, starting from the WOT load, I can desume the loads for lower TPS values (for each rpm)?

Thanks again, I just don't want to make a quite long job (sweeping all the table) if there's a better way to do this.

Stefano
Once you increase your boost offset value than those part throttle values also go up, so keep that it mind. So usually there is no need to mess with the table 60% TPS and below... unless you want to either have very little part throttle boost or generate more part throttle boost.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Once you increase your boost offset value than those part throttle values also go up, so keep that it mind. So usually there is no need to mess with the table 60% TPS and below... unless you want to either have very little part throttle boost or generate more part throttle boost.
Ok, so if I increase the offset from 80 to 100, then I can adjust only the 70 and 80% TPS columns, leaving the previous columns as they are? So at the end I'll have a "total load" increased of +20 for those column, thanks to the increased offset.
This is enough to consider that the tuned "passive WGDC" changes the loads also for those partial TPS columns, and does note require a finer adjustement? I was thinking that, instead, also for these partial % TPS I had to check exactly which load was hit with the new passive WGDC, and adjust the target load accordingly.
I had this thought because checking some gunzo's ROMs I saw that also at partial % TPS, the target loads are modified (not only the boost offset).

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Last edited by therocket; Jun 29, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

You should go download the Gunzo maps as a reference.

You could also look at my tune if you want. Not that it will mean much for your car, but when I started out, I looked at everything I could to get ideas.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry kind of off topic, but Clipse's post made me think about this...would a rescaled MAF change what load you are seeing? Like for instance, if you are running a 3" MAF and it's scaled for the 3" will the load drop because of it? Or will the load only change incorrectly if you don't scale the MAF?