Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Is boost determined by BTEL or Wastegate Duty Cycle maps in ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is boost determined by BTEL or Wastegate Duty Cycle maps in ECU?

Hey all,

I'm trying to lower my peak boost but am having some trouble getting the desired results. Which maps should I be adjusting in order to adjust boost in ECUFlash? Is boost based solely off of the reactive and passive wastegate duty cycle maps? Is the boost target engine load (BTEL) map only used for error correction?

For example, if I wanted to lower by peak boost between 3500-4500 rpm's, what should I adjust? I made significant changes in the BTEL table but it didn't seem to affect how much boost I was running. I also tried lowering the passive WGDC map and it seemed to make boost drop off quicker, but still hit a pretty high peak boost. I'm starting to think I have to really lower the passive WGDC map a lot to get lower boost. I didn't touch the reactive WGDC maps since they are maxed out at 100% at WOT from the factory, so it seemed counterintuitive to lower those. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if BTEL is 230 (after adding in the offset), but I'm only logging 215 load, then is it set too high? If BTEL is really only used for error correction of the reactive solenoid, then this might make sense...since the reactive solenoid is already maxed out at 100%, it can't turn it up at all even though it's not hitting the target load. Maybe I have to drastically change the BTEL in order to see the ECU use error correction of the reactive solenoid?

Last edited by LaXGSR; Jun 7, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Your 1st paragraph is 100% correct.

WGDC sets boost.

BDEL/BTEL increases/decreases WGDC depending if your over/under the target load.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks again tephra!! A related question...would you reduce the reactive solenoid below 100% at WOT, or only adjust the passive solenoid? My main concern is running too much boost right now (based on pressure ratio).
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by LaXGSR
Thanks again tephra!! A related question...would you reduce the reactive solenoid below 100% at WOT, or only adjust the passive solenoid? My main concern is running too much boost right now (based on pressure ratio).
I wouldn't worry so much about pressure ratio. Spend some time trying different combinations of boost, timing, and AFR to see what yields the best power. Sometimes less boost with more timing wins. Sometimes not.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks mrfred! I'll try multiple maps out. I can get the AFR's pretty steady above 4000 rpm's, but am having trouble getting a smooth AFR during spool-up from 2500-4000. I think part of the problem is with how lean the stock fuel map is at 90 load and low rpm. Should I richen up such a low load cell? For example, I'm going from 14.1 at 90 load to 12.8 at 100 load at 2500 rpm's.