Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

To those who have done weight reduction...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To those who have done weight reduction...

Why didn't you all just buy a base GSR model which i'm sure some of you did, but I see a whole lot of subs for sale, large wings, etc. Why did you even bother? lol. I'm really not trying to sound at all like a jerk here, but it has genuinely made me wonder.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Wrong section?

I got your answer though: HIDs and Fastkey.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Wrong section?

I got your answer though: HIDs and Fastkey.
yeah I suppose... couple thousand extra for those 2 things when you can do your own HID conversion.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
we get fastkey on the GSR here... no hids thou
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of us start out with a daily driver and then mod it into a bit of a racer...
Some get the SSS package and then replace the wing, trunk or whatever with something more unique shortly after....

There's many reasons

But yes... buying the car strictly for racing and immediately gutting it would be ruhtarded if you bought any package aside from the base.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spy007
Some of us start out with a daily driver and then mod it into a bit of a racer...
Some get the SSS package and then replace the wing, trunk or whatever with something more unique shortly after....

There's many reasons

But yes... buying the car strictly for racing and immediately gutting it would be ruhtarded if you bought any package aside from the base.
I bought the base because 2,000 or however much more the SSS package was wasn't worth some headlights, a taller wing and a fast key. Im not trying to down people who did by it, to me it just doesn't make sense... most people who buy an Evo know they are going to be putting some mods on it at least. I knew it, which is why I went for the base and will likely be taking my wing off very shortly. I don't think i'll go as far as removing the spare and such unless I wind up getting some runflats, but my aftermarket exhaust alone MUST have saved at least 20 lbs. The TurboXS system is A LOT lighter than the stock one. Plus I only weigh about 165... so i'm not to much weight added either lol.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
I'm not selling none of my stuff except for the spoiler (which I sold already, replaced with carbon fiber) but I'd just take my stuff out when I want to go on the track, i.e sub, spare tire and the rest of the stuff or even seats and then put it back in when I want my luxury back or cruising on long trips. In the area where I bought my Evo, the GSR SSS package is all they offered.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

$2000 just for the FAST key is almost worth it You don't realize how convenient it really is until you live with it day to day. I hate driving a car that requires pulling out a key to unlock the doors, start the car, unlock the trunk etc. It's nice to just walk up and go.

I personally did not want the tall wing, and did not care about the stereo. Factory HIDs and FAST key are worth it imo. HID retrofits usually don't look as good as OEM.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

^^ lol, I get in our other car and reach to start it all the time and wonder why there isn't a key thing to turn over.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:17 PM

Fastkey is simply amazing. Can't imagine owning a car without it at this point.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:16 AM

Some people get excited at first seeing options on evo without thinking for future.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

When I bought my X it came with Aero and SSS, but the cost of both of those options were 100% discounted because it sat in the showroom for so long (there's not a lot of market for Evos around here - people who can afford them are all in 3 series' and C class'). Essentially I got all of it for free. I probably wouldn't have paid for Aero if I had the option, but SSS is definitely worth $2K to me, and if I wouldn't have gotten it for free I would have paid for it anyway.

FastKey is convenient as all get-out and I love it, and aftermarket HIDs and retrofitting them in to headlights that aren't designed for HIDs is annoying to other drivers and the kits themselves usually come from the darkest recesses of China and are sketchy at best.

I'd rather spend the money, get those things up front, and do it the "right" way from the beginning.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it was worth as well. The stereo system wasnt worth it tho as I blew it three times but everything else is worth I think the big spoiler should come standard like the previous evos but thats another story. Nowadays they make you pay for everything