Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Maximum Safe Timing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maximum Safe Timing

I know some people tune to the ragged edge and what not, but I was wondering if there are any guidelines for the maximum safe timing to run on pump 93 at peak torque?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
it depends on too many factors..
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aronjaskim
I know some people tune to the ragged edge and what not, but I was wondering if there are any guidelines for the maximum safe timing to run on pump 93 at peak torque?
Maximum safe timing is whatever you can run without detonation. The evo x knock sensors are a bit sensitive. It is not likely that the stock knock sensor sensitivity level will allow you to run close enough to the edge to attain this point.

Exactly how much you need to adjust your knock sensitivity is up for debate. How much timing you can run, as tephra posted, subject to many variables, not even counting fuel quality (boost level, afr, exhaust back pressure, cylinder head condition, spark plug, just to name a few). If you run your car this close to the edge, then one marginal tank of gas, or change in weather conditions, puts you over the edge. You do not want to be there.

If you want to adjust your knock sensor to get it to stop pulling timing for noise, use some method besides or in addition to evoscan knock count to determine if you are having real knock or not.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeps, i have an extra knock monitoring system :P agreed, too many factors/methods to determine max safe timing ...