Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Noob starting with ecuflash, questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Noob starting with ecuflash, questions

I received the openport 2.0 cable today, from tactrix, my target is to order evoscan gps navigator next. So I started with installing ecuflash on my mac, but it didnt do anything, couldnt detect the cable. So I switched to windows and I was able to at least get started. I have been reading up in the forums over the past month to get ready for tuning. Merlin's guide has been pretty informative but my practical experience is just getting started. Two problems I am encountering right now,
1. Seems like I need xml definitions for my evoX MR 2010. EcuFlash wasn't able to figure out which definition to use. Rom version seems to be 55580006. Can somebody help me out here? -- nvm found the xml on goldenevo website.
2. I noticed that while ecuflash was reading the rom, some temp warnings were displayed on the multi info screen, and some fan was running all the time. Is this kind of behavior expected? After EcuFlash was done reading the rom, I switched off my evo and started it up again for a quick drive. Turns out the CEL is on, I thought reading the rom shouldn't have made any changes? Should I be worried or should I be able to clear it out somehow?
Attached Files
File Type: hex
MyEvo.hex (1.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: txt
MyEvo-1stRead-editedLog.txt (31.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by hkumar; Apr 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you read or write your ECU you will get those odd warnings. It's because the ECU is not communicating with other devices in your car anymore. It is only temporary while you are messing with the ECU.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks. Turns out the CEL turned off today by itself. For the evoscan software, does it still require mode23 to be enabled?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvoScan can log generic ODB-II stuff but what you really want is the stuff that mode 23 enables. Mode 23 lets you read the value of memory addresses in the ECU. You basically get access to more logging items (useful ones) than any other device and the logging speed is much better than anything out there.

It's pretty easy to enable, you just change the value of the 3 tables to the value it tells you to change it to. For instance on my 2010 GSR I would put "0x23" in the first two tables and then "0x5D" (this is different depending on the rom you're using) in the last one to enable mode 23. The value for that last table will probably be different since you have an MR and are using a different rom than I am.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:15 PM

I received the gpsnav today so decided to flash my mode23 rom and try out the gauges. went fine for the first part, but not so much for the second.
First I had trouble connecting the op2.0 to the gpsnav. Seems like there is particular order of turning on car, op2.0, gpsnav, to get it to work. Using the provided Y cable (not in order): I plugged in the op2.0 to female usb end, power to female micro usb end, and the gps nav to male micro usb end.
Second, some of the gauges wouldn't open, complaining the format was invalid. But this happened for the gauges I downloaded from the forums, so could just be a problem with a stricter file format in v2.2.
Third, as soon as it connected, it started throwing an alarm (i guess thats what it was). my car was idling in the garage, and apparently the knock sum was jumping between 16 and 32 constantly. Turning off the alarm solved the alarm issue, but Im not sure why the numbers looked off like that.
Next, I reverted back the gauges to the original, and tried to view them on the nav. Still most of the default gauges didnt display any info. I am guessing something is wrong with the definitions somewhere. Even the revs gauge didnt show anything, but when just reading the values instead there were a few other fields that were showing numbers.
Is there a step by step somewhere on how to get started?
My settings:
"EvoX Mode23 USA" in Main Settings
Attached a few files for reference. If somebody has an evoX 2010 MR, and is using evoscan navigator, would be great if they could upload/PM their full folder with settings/etc to help me out. Thanks a bunch.
Attached Files
File Type: hex
MyEvo-Mode23.hex (1.00 MB, 0 views)
55580005.xml.txt (46.4 KB, 0 views)
55580006.xml.txt (502 Bytes, 0 views)
File Type: bin
EvoScanDataLog_000002.csv.bin (137.4 KB, 0 views)
EvoScan.xml.txt (67.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by hkumar; May 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM.