Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Intake without tune

Old May 13, 2013, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake without tune

I have a 2011 Evo x. It's my second evo and quite frankly, im done with all the performance mods. I've gotten all the "vroom vroom" out of my system already and now i just want a fun and reliable car. But having said that, i really do miss the BOV sound.

Im contemplating getting an ETS intake. I've been reading that since it uses the stock MAF sensor, it would regulate how much air actually goes into the engine therefore it would not lean my car to the point of going "Kaboom". i understand that the 2010 and 2011 Evo X are tuned more lean from the factory.

To see how much the intake affects my A/F ratio, i was going to have a shop dyno my car before installing the intake and use that as the baseline. After they install it, i'll have them dyno the car again and check all the A/F again to see that it's at a safe range during idle, cursing, and WOT.

Alot of tuner shops are telling me i ABSOLUTELY have to get my car tuned. But why would ETS (a reputable company) advertise not needing a tune, if i really needed a tune? i feel like tune shops just want me to tune the car in order to get another customer. Not trying to disrespect any tune shops, but that's just how i feel. Any thoughts?
Old May 14, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 2012 GSR and just an ETS intake and have drove for a while no problems.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Short term you will be fine running the ETS intake without a tune as I don't believe it changes the size of the MAF housing. Ideally you should get a tune to compensate for the additional air flow. It's your car do what you want, if you decide to run the intake without a tune at least get a wideband to monitor your afr.

IMHO the evo is a highly tuned machine from the factory; any changes made mechanically should be followed by a tune.

Edit: If your going to have the car dynoed, why not get it tuned as well?

Last edited by lippy1306; May 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a friend who has an ETS intake, Upper ic pipe and a turboback exhaust without a tune and honestly it runs fine. Of course you wont get the best gas mileage or power possible but it's not necessary.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:18 PM

My biggest thing is not voiding the warranty. I don't want the headache of fixing the car while I'm paying for it still. Turbos r great but they r sensitive with mods. Tuning the car will void the warranty completely. Money isn't the issue.

I was also thinking about getting a Cobb ap. I can use it check the air fuel and any knocks to make she continues to run safe. But also use it to play with tunes. Plus if I encounter problems, I can revert back to stock and remove the ets before bringing it in. What do u think?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by niteowl415
My biggest thing is not voiding the warranty. I don't want the headache of fixing the car while I'm paying for it still. Turbos r great but they r sensitive with mods. Tuning the car will void the warranty completely. Money isn't the issue.

I was also thinking about getting a Cobb ap. I can use it check the air fuel and any knocks to make she continues to run safe. But also use it to play with tunes. Plus if I encounter problems, I can revert back to stock and remove the ets before bringing it in. What do u think?
I would also like to hear about this. I do not want to void my warranty as well. Has anyone brought in the car after using the AP and Mitsu took care of them? And did you guys reflash back to stock before brining it in??

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
I have a friend who has an ETS intake, Upper ic pipe and a turboback exhaust without a tune and honestly it runs fine. Of course you wont get the best gas mileage or power possible but it's not necessary.
That my friend is not going to be good for your friends motor in the future. Unless he never gets into boost

To answer your question; Its highly recommended that you go ahead and get a tune for your car once the intake in installed. The Evo x is extremely picky with modifications, the littlest change (such as an intake) can lean our the stock tune quite significantly. If your not looking for a pro-tune, get an AP and run the stage 1 map which compensates for an aftermarket intake. You can always switch back to the stock map if you see a need to.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Black&Boostin; Jun 6, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ignitionr34
I would also like to hear about this. I do not want to void my warranty as well. Has anyone brought in the car after using the AP and Mitsu took care of them? And did you guys reflash back to stock before brining it in??

Thanks
The COBB AP will NOT void your waranty when it is uninstalled from the vehicle and running the stock map the car came with. You will be fine.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:16 PM

I have a 2012 GSR Installed ETS Intake and not one problem. Car idles perfectly every other person I've heard that's installed didn't require tune. GL
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:59 AM

I would highly recommend a tune for a 2011 or 2012 Evo X cuz knock could dramatically increase due to a much leaner A/F ratio.. just my advise if you don't want to damage your engine. I mean it won't hurt to spend $300-$400 to take care of a $35k car. Another option is what Black&Boostin said, which is running Stage 1 on a Cobb AP; and you could also use that to count knock. It's up to you but again I think it's worth it.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my ETS intake installed for 7 months without a tune and have had no problems what so ever. I only switched to the cobb because it ran better with the AP, I'l be switching back to the ETS when I get a Pro-tune. IMO the ETS is fine without a tune and there are many other members that have had experience with this intake and will tell you the same thing.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

You'll be fine w/o a tune. A tune however, will help maximize the power out put.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:11 PM

Intake update

okay, so i got my intake installed this past week. So far, the car feels real good. doesn't feel much faster, but i can tell that in 2nd and 3rd gear, it pulls harder and easier. i can really hear the intake sucking air in. sounds like heaven . i hear the "diverter valve" too (i found out that's what they actually are). i don't really hearing it shifting from 1st gear unless i rev it to redline when shifting to second. but shifting normally from 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th, i hear the "whoosh" a little. it's real light, but i think it's enough. for now lol.

the car idles just like it did before, which is at 750rpm and it doesn't jump around. kind of stays right there.

Something odd: i had them dyno my car before and after the install. they seem pretty reputable and has nice people there but i really question their mustang dyno and the install guy. my 2011 Evo supposedly dyno'd 292whp and 307wtorque. that's BEFORE the intake went in. After the intake was installed, i was getting 318whp and 317tq. Now i know my car is not slow, but it's not that fast lol. From factory, it should be maybe 240-250whp max. i asked the install guy and he acted as if that was normal. and the intake is touching my red plastic battery terminal. not real happy with the install. my A/F was around 9.8 at WOT before the intake went in. And now it's at around 10.8. leaned it out a little but i think it's a safer "zone" than stock. But then again, i question their computer now. definitely in a dilemma....
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:29 AM

Almost seems like it was measured at crank. Do u have the dyno sheet?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

I installed my ETS intake, fimc and uicp/licp pipes last week. Was suppose to get tuned by BakaUnchi while he was in town but i missed it due to stupid DP breaking bolts etc.

I installed my AFR/wired up my serial cable. Did like 6 pulls and It read 10.2-11 AFR at WOT

the evo's are dirt rich from factory...