Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Can't legally tune a non-race car?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can't legally tune a non-race car?!

Hey guys,

I'm new to this tuning thing. I have a few bolt on mods that I want to do with my '15 GSR and then I intended to have it tuned by Jeff Evans of Evan's Tuning in Mt. Bethel, PA. I sent Jeff an email looking for recommendations on a shop to have a boost leak check done just to make sure I was buttoned up before having it tuned. He didn't really have any recommendations for me, which is fine, but then this portion of his email really threw me for a loop. I've done a fair amount of reading on having your car tuned, plus I've read Jeff's own website inside and out (along with their Instagram) and this reply makes absolutely no sense to me. What am I missing here? I emailed him back asking for clarification, but he takes a few days to reply. I have a few other tuning shops within a few hours of me, but Jeff seems to be highly rated and is literally in my back yard (30 minutes away) so I'd prefer to go there, but again, I'm really at a loss here. Thoughts?

Drew,

I dont know of any reputable shops left in our area that I could recommend you to. Also, I am only legally able to provide tuning services if your vehicle meets the following conditions:
  1. No vehicle registration
  2. No license plates when it arrives at our shop
  3. Must be brought on a trailer
  4. Racing sanctioned events you compete in, or have plans to compete in
  5. Pictures of the car racing if available

Also should have several of the following racing features:
  1. -Roll bar or roll cage
  2. -Parachute and/or parachute mount
  3. -Fire suppression system
  4. -Race harnesses (non DOT approved passenger restraint systems)
  5. -Race fuel (not purchased at a public fuel station)
  6. -Non DOT approved tires
  7. -Interior removal (to include: carpeting, seats, dash, headliner, door panels)
  8. -Heat & A/C removed
  9. -Power steering removed
  10. -Reverse Gear removed
  11. -Headlights/tailights removed
  12. -Factory controls removed (Including: horn, headlight, gauge cluster, turn signals, wipers, radio)
  13. -Modified braking system
  14. -Modified hand brake or installation of aftermarket staging brake
  15. -Factory fuel tank removed, fuel cell installed.
  16. -Kill switch
  17. -Non DOT-approved / Non OEM-certified seats
  18. -Lexan or Polycarbonite windows
  19. -Sanctioned motorsport competition number displayed prominently on vehicle
  20. -Removal of front cross member or front/rear crash beams
  21. -Cool suit system/water tank
  22. -Wheelie bars
  23. -Removable transmission tunnel
  24. -Aftermarket racing transmission (sequentially shifted or dog engagement gearset)
  25. -Externally mounted fuel pumps
  26. -Secondary fuel rail and injectors
  27. -Aftermarket catch pan or under pan belly
  28. -Absence of hood, bumpers, fenders, windshields, sunroofs, doors
  29. -Absence of ignition column and/or key (The door can be opened without a key and the car can be started without a key).
  30. -Racing engines installed

Thanks!

Jeff Evans
Evans Tuning

Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Sounds like he might have got busted and is now covering his ***
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
And this is why I love my tuner. No shop affiliation. Street tunes on back road in the middle of now where at night while there is no traffic. Lol
Old Jul 20, 2018, 06:29 AM

Wow, I've done so much reading on these forums and never once saw anyone imply that tuning street cars is illegal. I can't believe I missed that little detail. LOL
Old Jul 20, 2018, 06:45 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
sounds like he got onto somebodies radar lol. Different states have different laws though, some places pretty much anything goes. In California pretty much anything you do power wise isn't "street legal" except for the most basic of mods, like a cat back. Everything else technically needs a C.A.R.B. exemption to be used legally to replace a factory part. It's not criminal or anything, the state isn't going to prosecute you for using a 3-port BCS, you might just have to get creative about passing smog.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 07:30 AM

Yea emissions I get. I'm in PA so I was reading up emissions and high flow cats and passing inspections/emissions. I think I should be ok here with that. In my 9 years living in this state, I don't recall ever seeing them do much more than a visual check and then plugging the car in to check for CELs.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 08:09 AM
kaj

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I 100% expect Kalifornia to eventually start coming down on tuners.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 08:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
He likely got popped or is on someone's radar. Technically, ECU tuning and most modifications done to our street cars are federally illegal as it can all be considered tampering with the factory emission's systems. So just about any shop can get popped by the epa. It's why just every parts sold generally says "for off-road use only". They don't mean off-road as in dirt roads, they mean off of public highways/streets, race use only.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Around September of last year he made an announcement that he will be doing a tuning school, showing people how to tune their own cars.....and also stating he will only be supporting very few cars with tuning...

z
e
R
e
p
Old Jul 20, 2018, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
His most recent post;

z
e
R
e
p
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:45 AM
kaj

Ah. He's protecting the new business. Being all official. I get it.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
I highly doubt it that tuning for horsepower only while maintaining a proper cat can put you in the wrong spot under the enforcement of the law. However, the reality is that many "enthusiasts" are asshats and demand the tuner to force the OBDII ready, so their testpipes or very-low-cell-count high-flow cats will pass emission if the inspector overlooks and checks only OBDII.

For most tuners, they have no choice if they want to maintain business, but catering to these shady clients inevitably carries non-compliance risk.

When I was kid, I always wanted to own a metallic red MkIV Supra with a straight pipe, like testpipe and no muffler, until I went to college and classmates were running that exact setup. The fumes coming from their car made me so sick from time to time, and I figured that the catalytic converter has some use or two.

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
Old Jul 20, 2018, 06:15 PM
kaj

Messing with the tune is a direct emissions violation. More than any other part.
Yeah, the cars may burn cleaner, but they don't care.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by zeRep85RA
His most recent post;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lPJv6Sn1Ck

z
e
R
e
p
sounds like a direct copy of HP Academy.... not knocking, its probably a worthwhile investment.. I learned more in 1 day working with a tuning teacher than months of trolling forums for answers.. why pay some one, when you can learn your self..
Old Dec 21, 2018, 02:04 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by prozak
sounds like a direct copy of HP Academy.... not knocking, its probably a worthwhile investment.. I learned more in 1 day working with a tuning teacher than months of trolling forums for answers.. why pay some one, when you can learn your self..
Because time and resources.

Quick Reply: Can't legally tune a non-race car?!