Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Bad tune?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 05:16 PM
X86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad tune?

hey guys new to the forum and new to the evo..

so I just bought my 15 x gsr and it’s got ets intake, looks like invidia catles downpipe with invidia single exit exhaust, lightweight fly wheel with comp clutch don’t know the stage. And Cobb with a protune.

( I haven’t done any logs but I can if that will help with helping me) (it prob will lol )

So the problem I’m having

the car stalls with a/c on every time.... and the car stall sometime when I’m just at idle parked or redlight or on a roll in neutral...and that’s with the heat on (don’t know if that matters but I haven’t tried it with it off yet ) and the car smells like it’s running real rich (gas) i don’t know if that’s from the catles pipe.... idle sometime is ruff it sometimes feels like it wants to stall or sometime it high revs I wanna say 1200 rpm maybe a lil more

i searched and found some stuff but nothing to my prob beside the a/c issue witch no one really answered lol i can make vids and logs if you guys need it.

I dont know who tuned it I bought the car with all the stuff on it 2days ago...the dealer said they would look at the a/c issue but I’m thinking it’s a tune thing so be4 they look at it and mess things up I wanted to see if Someone has the same issue and if it’s something I can do..

Thank you

Last edited by X86; Mar 6, 2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 06:15 PM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Honestly my recommendation is you shouldn't have gotten the car. Especially from a dealer if it's tuned if you have no way to contact the previous owner. Though if I were you I would probably unmarry the cobb from the car, see if there is a stock tune on the access port and flash it back along with stock parts. I would then locate a reputable open source tuner and either
dyno tune or road tune it.

Last edited by AJV; Mar 7, 2019 at 08:32 AM. Reason: left out key
Old Mar 7, 2019, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Does the intake have the heat shield? Can you send an engine bay picture?

- Robert
The following users liked this post:
JDZNate (Mar 22, 2019)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
It's normal to smell fuel if you're running catless. You really won't know AFR without a wideband gauge......

Robert's asking about the heat shield because if the radiator/AC fan blows on an open cone intake, it messes with the MAF reading and can cause idle / stalling issues.

If that's in place, check your vacuum lines (especially the line to the FPR on the intake) for any leaks

If those check out, it's quite likely that the tune doesn't match the installed parts any more and you're going to need to address the tune.

DO NOT flash it back to stock unless you have the stock parts to put back on the car. Running an intake and catless on the stock tune would be asking for trouble.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 02:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Does the intake have the heat shield? Can you send an engine bay picture?

- Robert
Do this first.

If the heat shield isn't there the intake gets super hot air when the fan comes on. Messes with the idle big time.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 06:33 PM
X86

Thanks for the reply’s

When I searched ac issue I did find something on heat shield for intake. I didn’t get a chance to try it but I did today after work I just blocked the fan with a card board and turned on the ac seemed to work I had the hood open tho idk if that matters but once I took the card board out in like 1 min it started doing it with hood open. So I’m guessing it’s that lol still getting it retuned

so does ets sell just the shield if so it don’t look like I would have room for it I’ll try and post a pic of it today
Old Mar 7, 2019, 06:45 PM
X86

Intake looks to close to put a shield
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Should be able to fit it on there, but might want to twist the intake a little for everything to line up right. The BOV return looks a little twisted. Here is mine with the shield:

Old Mar 11, 2019, 03:42 PM
X86

Originally Posted by Metal_AF
Should be able to fit it on there, but might want to twist the intake a little for everything to line up right. The BOV return looks a little twisted. Here is mine with the shield:

It came like that so I thought that’s how it was supposed to be. But i ended up fixing the intake to the right direction yesterday.. after seeing other photos that ppl posted lol.. I couldn’t find ets heat shield separate so I ordered stm tuning heat shield hope it works lol.

Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:45 PM
X86

So I got the shield in today installed it and tried it out seems to be working with ac on so far no stall but that was only 10 min of having a the car running with ac on. Lol to cold out for ac lol

now for my other question prob stupid but do I need to retune it. Because wouldn’t it have been getting better/more air in the intake be4 the shield?
the intake was more twisted into the wide open spot

im going for a tune just so I know more about the car but that’s not till may
Old Apr 15, 2019, 04:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't need to retune it, but I think you should still get Tune so make sure everything
is running the way it should and of course to see how much power shes making.

Its funny I had a similar situation
when I went to look at an Evo (which I now own) at the dealership. I turned it on
with the A/C running and it started to idle horrible and the check engine light came on.
It was so disappointing cause I really really wanted that Evo.
Well as I was about to walk out the dealership. Lucky for me the Manager saw me leaving and came running
to me to see whats going on. Turns out he owns a Evo, so he checked under the hood and noticed the problem right away.
He said give me one minute and went to get a piece of cardboard and like magic the idle was
perfect again. Thank God cause not too many choices you know when shopping for a Evo.