Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Help with tuning TephraModV3

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with tuning TephraModV3

Hello! I have been running the TephraModV3 rom for about a week now and I've noticed that I get quite a bit of random knock. I've attached a log from the other day for your viewing pleasure, any help is appreciated! I am new to tuning but I'm an ASE certified technician at a Toyota stealership so I do get the jist of what's going on, I'm just afraid to screw something up. I have AEM boost and AFR gauges, the WDB is a Bosch latest and greatest (I forget the specs sorry). TBE with STM atmosphere dump, aftermarket intake and intercooler with piping. I live in a part of Washington state where I can only get 92octane gas but I've been told that's not a huge difference from 93 so Thank you in advance and I appreciate your time!
Attached Files
Old Mar 21, 2022, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts
Sorting by TPS and then KNOCK it look like you need to pull timing at 6300-6600 rpm. Pull two degrees because you have a knock of 5. This assumes this has happened before. The onesie twosie knocks at part throttle can be ignored.

The following users liked this post:
RagnarGSR (Mar 23, 2022)
Old Mar 23, 2022, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Sorting by TPS and then KNOCK it look like you need to pull timing at 6300-6600 rpm. Pull two degrees because you have a knock of 5. This assumes this has happened before. The onesie twosie knocks at part throttle can be ignored.
Thank you for your advice! I will pull the timing as suggested and do a few logs later and post results. Is there an equation to keep in mind for how many degrees when pulling timing based on how much knock is detected? You said pull 2 degrees because I had a knock of 5, so would it be safe to say if there was a knock of 3 I would only need to pull 1 degree of timing?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts
When the ECU sees a knock count of 3 it pulls a degree of timing. The Evo X ECU is very sensitive to what it perceives as knock, which is one of the reasons the engine is known to be so tough and reliable under power. Since you had what appears to be real knock with a count of five, pulling 2 degrees is a good start. If you see knock show up there consistently again, you may have to pull another degree. As long as the part throttle map is a legit timing map, the "phantom" knock can be ignored. The ECU won't pull timing either because the odds of it being REAL are slim to none. At part throttle the cylinders are not receiving any if a slight amount of boost and the compression is so low (9:1) you would have to be running 87 octane or worse to have it be real knock. Hope that helps. With TephaV3 you can setup the light to flash on the dash with knock. I have mine set to 4 count I believe for slow light and 5 for fast flash, and I think 6 count I have the throttle get cut to 75% throttle. These types of safety nets are critical if your pushing power up there....