Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AGP Turbo's X.....NOW 84whp gain...update pg4

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:22 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the OTC scan tool allowed you to see KNOCK? Was this after the exhaust? What was the actual A/F on the base run versus the modified runs?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
Uhh.. yea. I believe that was very clear. 5-6lb/min is a significant difference.
Yup. The X turbo is a 152G as opposed to 16G on the IX. So you can tell right from the turbo name that it was going to be smaller.

5-6lb/min difference is also about the difference between a 3071 and 3076 IIRC.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

glad to see AGP back in the mitsu game forefront - yay for Ben and Kevin
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
yeah except the air coming OUT of the turbo has to make 180 degree turn.
Yup. But it's easier to push air through bends than trying to suck it through bends.

Regardless, all the new cars have the turbo back there for emission reasons (can put the cat much closer to the turbo for quicker lightoff). Helps weight distribution too. And less exhaust plumbing so less losses there.

And be thankful mitsu left a LOT of space back there for turbo upgrades. Have a look at the new Cobalt SS turbo setup and you'll see what I mean; good luck trying to upgrade that thing.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice gains, i wanna see some pics of these parts
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Guerillah
What are you, 13?

Now that I think of it, my IX with downpipe, 3" exhaust, boost controller, nisei IC pipes upper and lower, dynoflash flash, intake filter, dynoed 292whp on a mustang dyno in Tucson at 19psi of boost on 91 octane. Seems like the X is doing much better than my car did with less mods.
19 psi is also 4lbs less boost than the Evo X that AGP has been working with (and 19 psi seems very conservative with your mods on a IX). Furthermore, you are comparing a mustang dyno which typically read very low - to a dynopack that read very high.

My mods are nearly identical to yours (on a IX) and I put down 346 awhp on a dynopack at 22 psi.

Not hating on either Evo at all, just stating a few general observations.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Update-
We built a more efficient FMIC and a new hot side charge pipe. Changed the cold air intake pipe a little and dyno'd again. 345hp/330tq. I think the turbo is running completely out of air, we were running 24psi now and it's falling to 18.

Just as we suspected the better intercooler solved a lot of the knocking problems. From what we've learned so far I'd say TBE is by far the first mod anyone should do and honestly I think intercooler should be next. Next week we will test another FMIC core and see what we get. The core we used is OK but not the greatest.

Next week we will get serious and start working hard Stay tuned for more fun.

Kevin@AGP

Last edited by Z1500; Jan 26, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Z1500
Update-
We built a more efficient FMIC and a new hot side charge pipe. Changed the cold air intake pipe a little and dyno'd again. 345hp/330tq. I think the turbo is running completely out of air, we were running 24psi now and it's falling to 18.

Just as we suspected the better intercooler solved a lot of the knocking problems. From what we've learned so far I'd say TBE is by far the first mod anyone should do and honestly I think intercooler should be next. Next week we will test another FMIC core and see what we get. The core we used is OK but not the greatest.

Kevin@AGP
This is some really good information for the modders out there. That is really a lot of boost taper though. Really says something about the turbo.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Update-

Kevin@AGP
Kevin,

Excellent R&D!!

Basically you are having to upgrade the intercooler because the turbo is increasing the intake temps too much (which causes the knock). This is typically seen on the Mazdaspeeds as well (which have small turbos). And of course, you know this is also prevelant on the SRT4s (stock turbos).

Those are some really good gains though for a stock turbo maxed out compared to other stock turbo'd cars. I believe the STi will get more whp and the numbers are similar to the Caliber.

-M

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Jan 26, 2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
This is some really good information for the modders out there. That is really a lot of boost taper though. Really says something about the turbo.
Yeap, race gas/meth should be able to push it a bit further with timing and leaning out the mixture a little more but that's about it.. I guess cams could give a little more whp and a tune.

I'd say on pump gas, it'll max out at around 360whp with full bolt-ons. Maybe 380whp on race/meth.

That's pretty good, but the only thing is that it will be SLOWER (straight line) to a similiarly equipped VIII or IX with the same whp.

-M
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

good rd
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

VERY nice. We're impatiently awaiting our car over here to get some parts on it.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:31 PM

85hp with 4 mods is pretty damn good!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Update-

Kevin@AGP
that is the same numbers i put out on my car obviously different dyno, gas, air molecules and anything else you can think of

joking aside, good job guys on posting all of the info so far
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice gains, but im interested in see pics of the set up

Quick Reply: AGP Turbo's X.....NOW 84whp gain...update pg4