Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS EVO X Test: Part Two - Boost Control and Fuel Pump test

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrdevo
I'm surprised that it holds the torque fairly well for supposedly having a smaller turbo. Most 8 and 9 turbos seem to keep 250-275 wtrq at redline with meth/racegas.
My own car would hit 430trq and then go down to about 260 by redline with 31psi.
hmm, maybe the result of a more free flowing exhaust side? Not quite sure but interesting.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

^^ maybe the new compressor wheel has some aero tricks built into the blades to make it act like they are variable, maybe the heads are just that much more efficient, or maybe dual MIVEC is just that good? we obviously still have a lot to discover in regard to the 4B11T...
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdevo
I'm surprised that it holds the torque fairly well for supposedly having a smaller turbo. Most 8 and 9 turbos seem to keep 250-275 wtrq at redline with meth/racegas.
My own car would hit 430trq and then go down to about 260 by redline with 31psi.
What is really surprising is that the boost is dropping through the run. Imagine the torque curve if boost was steady!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

^exactly, I was thinking this same thing when we saw one dyno here locally and saw the boost drop, but saw how much boost it peaked at.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ye this is good stuff. I expected a sti type powerband that peaked early and faded but it seems that it has the good low-end of the subie along with the better pull up top. Once there is a solid tune and other small modifications, the powerband will look even better than it does now. I think the midrange, especially, is going to look pretty decent. I bet it feels as if it could pull to 8000rpms no problem, looking at how the power doesn't do a nose dive.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

also isn't the engine de-stroked from the last engine? generally that means it's happier at high revs. it also runs higher compression, which makes a significant increase in cylinder pressure at any given boost level, correct? i'd be curious to see (please nobody start hating or fanboying) a chart comparing the calculated cylinder pressures (using the boost at each rpm point measured) over the rpm range SHOWROOM STOCK in both the IX and the X. it MAY BE an indicator of how confident they are at mitsu that the new motor will resist knock and not blow up, and how comfortable they are letting it out into the wild land of accidental (or heaven forbid, non-accidental) 87 octane fill-ups...in arizona or somewhere like that...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:11 PM

Upto what power is the STD Evo X fuel pump safe to run with??

What fuel pump upgrades are available??
Old Oct 16, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Its pretty cool to see a couple shops having success with X, everyone at the beginning thought it was gonna be a POS compared to the older versions, but it seems to be coming thru nicely, good work.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like an old post from way in the beginning of the year that I missed. Looks like a good re-wire job to get a solid 14v to the pump would help quite a bit, although I think a good aftermarket direct replacement would be welcome since I'm not sure it will still support 500 at the crank or 400whp even rewired but I could be wrong.