Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Warning Of Dangerous Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
red demon, luckily not everyone has a bad attitude like you do, if we all did then the first year would be the last year as no manufacturer would ever build a car two years in a row that nobody bought the first year. So you can sit back and thank all us dumb asses for going out and buying Mitsubishi's first year cars so you could end up with an EVO8.
thats right
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I saw on another thread that someone felt that the limp mode issue has been resolved. Any idea what the resolution was?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

yesterday I got an mbc installed ams dialed in the boost to 22psi on the way home the service engine soon light came on, no problem yet it drove alright. when i got closer to home i pulled up to a light and my idle was a little over 2k, i turned the car off then it was fine. today went to drive it fine no light. then when i get into 5th gear give it some gas Bam light is back on and i have sh i t for power!! i'm going to be going back to ams today to see whats up with it. in the mean time to make it there i'm either gonna pull the fuse for the ecu or remove the cable from the battery, and see where that gets me...

Went for quick drive in it seems fine for now, light is still on. i just wont create the situation that caused the "limp mode" to happen. still going to ams. i will post when i know what the problem is.

Took the mbc off, i dont want to worry about all that crap, i'll put it on when there is tuning software avaible.

Last edited by EvoXstylin; Mar 19, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

it 'seems' fine is a guess....it BEING fine is NOT possible....its a CHECK ENGINE light. aka service engine soon...how can it be "fine" if the computer is monitoring something abnormal and reacting to it to save your engine.

you sound like my old neighbor- 46 year old guy with a evo9- drove around CONSTANTLY thinkin his CEL light was for his 02 sensor (no cat).....it was for a P0300.
So when we dynoed it....hahahahahah the power of a effin civic!

Also reminds me of a stupid kid that showd up to a car meet in Denver....he has a 05 STI....said he "heard and very much felt some minor knock"....i told him how can you 'feel it'...if you can literally feel it...obviously no good.

So we take it to a friend of mines shop, proceed to do a physical on the car!

the stupid mo fo had a CRACKED PISTON...how do you mistake that for knock!?

STI owners with utter stupidity < evo owners with technical knowledge
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RED DEMON
it 'seems' fine is a guess....it BEING fine is NOT possible....its a CHECK ENGINE light. aka service engine soon...how can it be "fine" if the computer is monitoring something abnormal and reacting to it to save your engine.

you sound like my old neighbor- 46 year old guy with a evo9- drove around CONSTANTLY thinkin his CEL light was for his 02 sensor (no cat).....it was for a P0300.
So when we dynoed it....hahahahahah the power of a effin civic!

Also reminds me of a stupid kid that showd up to a car meet in Denver....he has a 05 STI....said he "heard and very much felt some minor knock"....i told him how can you 'feel it'...if you can literally feel it...obviously no good.

So we take it to a friend of mines shop, proceed to do a physical on the car!

the stupid mo fo had a CRACKED PISTON...how do you mistake that for knock!?

STI owners with utter stupidity < evo owners with technical knowledge
ok calm down buddy what i ment by fine is it wasnt in the limp mode. there was still a code in the system therefore the light was on. so dont go telling me who i remind you of ok?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoXstylin
yesterday I got an mbc installed ams dialed in the boost to 22psi on the way home the service engine soon light came on, no problem yet it drove alright. when i got closer to home i pulled up to a light and my idle was a little over 2k, i turned the car off then it was fine. today went to drive it fine no light. then when i get into 5th gear give it some gas Bam light is back on and i have sh i t for power!! i'm going to be going back to ams today to see whats up with it. in the mean time to make it there i'm either gonna pull the fuse for the ecu or remove the cable from the battery, and see where that gets me...

Went for quick drive in it seems fine for now, light is still on. i just wont create the situation that caused the "limp mode" to happen. still going to ams. i will post when i know what the problem is.

Took the mbc off, i dont want to worry about all that crap, i'll put it on when there is tuning software avaible.
You are getting a P1235 code in your case. The reason is the amount of air you are flowing is higher then what is expected for your TPS position. The CEL will go away on its own, and the idle will reset to normal operation once you restart the car. I have a thread about this already somewhere, just search for it.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
You are getting a P1235 code in your case. The reason is the amount of air you are flowing is higher then what is expected for your TPS position. The CEL will go away on its own, and the idle will reset to normal operation once you restart the car. I have a thread about this already somewhere, just search for it.
yea thats what ams pulled i belive, i just hate seeing that light on the dash, and it would probably come back on if i boost in 5th gear. less worries for me
Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Ok i got my X back today from the dealer. It had been there since Monday and they couldn't figure it out. They finally replaced the knock sensor ( not the problem ), Next they replaced the connector to the knock sensor, this was the problem of why my car wouldn't boost. it wasn't in "limp mode" there was jsut no boost. It runs fine now, hopefully it doesnt happen again. Fek annoying driving a 37k Hyundai
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing that was above stock boost? I can't wait for tuning software.