Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EVO X Transmission Problem POLL
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (all the time)
40.07%
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (only when car is cold)
37.62%
Difficult to engage Reverse gear (cold or warm)
8.50%
No problems at all
13.80%
Voters: 1717. You may not vote on this poll

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welp, 6500 miles and still the same problem, 1-2, 2-3. It seems to have gotten better, but still very noticable. My service manager even said yah theres something wrong, but said mitsu won't let him touch it. he showed me a internal document that said they are aware of the problem, but have no fix, and are not to touch the tranny's.

On the good side, after 5k miles, and at least 10 trips into the dealership for the fueling/idle tsb, they FINALLY flashed the car because I finally got a cel. Mitsu told them they couldn't flash it until the cel came in, period.

Sigh.

I love my Sti
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:53 PM

Evo X transmission

I have the same problems that you guys and girls are having with the car. I can drive it like a bat out of hell and no problems shifting the car. But when I’m just cursing around town the car is really nothcy from 1st to 2nd gear. But not the other way around I haven’t had any problems at all with down shifting the car from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. I took the car in to get looked at because I have 4900 miles on it now and it’s still doing the same thing. They came back to me and said that they could not duplicate the problem even though it happens every time I shift the car. Then they came back and said that it because the oil needs to be warmed up. I got pretty pissed off at that and asked the guy if he thought that I was stupid. He said no why, I told him that I’m really suppose to believe what he is saying that cold fluid is really going to make my tyranny not shift. He said yes then I really got mad and told him that this explanation was really stupid because gear oil is designed to operate at both cold and hot temperate and protect the transmission from both. I told him it is worse to heat the transmission up because it causes the gear oil to break down and not protect the synchronizer and other vital parts of the transmission. Then he said that was only in cars with automatic transmissions. I guess he thought that I had never worked on car let alone build one from the ground up. I must have had stupid written across my forehead. Sorry for the book thought I would let you know what happened to me.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

^Hang in there man, there should be a solution soon. I don't want to jump the gun and attempt to put any other fluid in my tranny, so I'm just waiting along with you.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 05:20 PM

my suggestion is for you guys to consistently log issues with your dealer to create a history of this incident. call up mitsubishi customer care and open a case file. try to organize a petition and if you're really lucky, get some press involved on this case.

let me tell you what happened with us honda guys. as of june 2008, honda decided to release a TSB to resolve a similar problem with honda 6-speed manaul transmissions. we've had grinds/notchy shifting from 2nd-3rd, more pronounced in cold weather, and honda had continuously denied any flaws UNTIL they got some bad press in the form of a news story on TV.

News clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTpRuDhMV8

i can't stress enough that you should log every case with mitsubishi. when, and if mitsu decides to release a TSB you will need your incident history to support your claim to get the work done. just because a TSB exists doesn't mean the dealer will get it done for you. we all know the "could not replicate problem" excuse so create that incident history!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:40 PM

Coming from an RX8...anyone else find it funny how the gears are pretty long in this kinda car? Its not as short and crisp as an S2000 or RX8. And 2nd Gear is like...UNAVAILABLE in the morning lol
Old Sep 29, 2008, 05:30 AM

^ it's true. the throws and shift feel on honda transmissions is perfect. besides the 3rd gear issue that plagued the latest 6-speeds, their transmissions are like butter. haven't tried a RX-8 though.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meffie
Welp, 6500 miles and still the same problem, 1-2, 2-3. It seems to have gotten better, but still very noticable. My service manager even said yah theres something wrong, but said mitsu won't let him touch it. he showed me a internal document that said they are aware of the problem, but have no fix, and are not to touch the tranny's.

On the good side, after 5k miles, and at least 10 trips into the dealership for the fueling/idle tsb, they FINALLY flashed the car because I finally got a cel. Mitsu told them they couldn't flash it until the cel came in, period.

Sigh.

I love my Sti
Well, if they take their sweet time, are they going to deny transmission work AFTER the warranty period for issues directly related to syncro/hub and sleeve wear? I doubt it.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine still doing it, but it has gotten better with time.. I have about 1,500 miles so far...I hate the loud metal crunch and feel in the shifter, doesnt sound or feel good at all.. Has anyone else gone to mitsu and complained about this?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Well, if they take their sweet time, are they going to deny transmission work AFTER the warranty period for issues directly related to syncro/hub and sleeve wear? I doubt it.
I would say at this point that's still questionable. You would think that mitsu would honor a tranny fix after the warranty is up if it's directly related, but the way they're handling everything else, I almost doubt it.

Hell, my seats are falling apart too (staples) and they ran around the bush for weeks on that too, until finally I complained enough and they said I could take it to a shop to be fixed, but they stated "We'll only fix your seats once, make sure it's right" which almost suggests that even if there is a problem with another portion of the seats, I'm going to be SOL.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Man im happy that my dealership has never given me any warranty problems with all the Evos ive owned..I may go in this week if i have a chance and tell them about the problem to see what they say about it
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:42 PM

I too am experiencing issues shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. 1st to 2nd grinds and 2nd to 3rd is notchy. When I take it to the dealer they cannot reproduce the problem. The issue with me is that I plan to build the car and fear that they will use that as an excuse later even though it has been documented that I experience the problem but they don't experience it so my documentation will not hold up. So at this point I am just hoping for a fix. I am ready to retrofit another tranny if that is possible. I am really pi$$ed off about this. If anyone comes up with a solution, please let me know.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:59 PM

Is it just me, or does the 1st to 2nd shift feel much smoother if you shift during a turn?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

When i first got the car that 1st to 2nd was very bad, now ive shift a certain way where ill get the crunch ocasionally but nothing like in the begining..
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:56 AM

Tranny

Well mines new, specifically 6300 miles or around there, on the transmission that is, if you dont know I got a new one around 1150 miles, not as bad grinding, some tho, and definately notchy, second gear sucks, and now I have started experiencing an issue - when I am completely stopped and try to pull out in first I have to release the clutch forever before it catches and then I am creeping, like tortis speed. I had some 20 year old mitsu dealer service punk tell me thats how the 8's acted when he worked there last time when they came out and blah blah, i only have one answer I DIDNT BUY AN 8. $40,000 for a car and you cant expect any thing better than this! Come on!
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

I think it's just a characteristic of that trans. My 9 was notchy as all hell. When I took it to the dealer for it, they explained they do that while breaking in. After 500 or 600 miles it went away. My X has under 200 miles on it, and does it a little. Much less than my 9 did.

Quick Reply: The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread