Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EVO X Transmission Problem POLL
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (all the time)
40.07%
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (only when car is cold)
37.62%
Difficult to engage Reverse gear (cold or warm)
8.50%
No problems at all
13.80%
Voters: 1717. You may not vote on this poll

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is notchy/grinding 1-2, but just notchy from 3-4.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by meffiez28
Mine is notchy 1-2, 2-3.

I talked with my service manager, and he spoke with the instructor running the Evo class for the techs and he said the X he drove to the class did the same thing.

He claimed that this was "normal" during the first few thousand miles and the car learns itself and breaks in drivetrain components.

Now I'm not sure if I believe this or not. But that's what I was told.
no car should sound like mine when it is going into 3rd....even the shifter shakes and it feels like i with blow the whole tranny
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I feel confident now that I was right all along in that it was a fluid issue. I spoke with mitsu and they said that they are aware of the issue and that it's a fluid issue not allowing for smooth synchro operation. Funny, because at first they said that it was normal and that it will smooth out after time, which it actually has a LITTLE bit, but I think they've finally realized that something needs to be done to fix this. There will be a tsb out soon for this and we will all be happy. In the mean time, perhaps it's because of the fluid changing chemically from use (I have no idea) but my notchiness is far better now once the car is warmed up. Still awful when cold though. Either way, any wear should be minimal in the meantime and the fix will be out soon. Hang in there everybody!

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 10, 2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:47 PM

Good news
Old Apr 11, 2008, 07:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=17
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:01 AM

I have some issues.

Last edited by Keepster13; Apr 21, 2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone heard any thing from MB yet?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that mitsu is really doing anything about this. I called and complained with corporate a third time and they keep telling me that my case was already closed and needs to be reopened. I say, "why was the case closed, there was never any resolution?" I get no answer and have to leave a message with Ken, the service claims manager with mitsu corporate, and the guy won't even return my message. He's pretty much blowing me off and hoping that I'll just go away. I'm glad that I spent 35k on a car that has problems that mitsu doesn't care enough to fix.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have a question for all you guys that own a x...
how come bushur racing dynoflash ams vishnu and all the rest of the vendors on this forum dont complain about the gearbox being notchy?
is it that you guys cant drive?
i had on my 8 a notchy transmision but it was only when it was cold outside or when i burned the clutch cause of drag racing but the solution to my problem was i adjusted the clutch pedal and that solved the problem for me.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

I voted, no issues
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

something is not right with the trans to many people including me have noticed an issue if you would have ask me at 600 miles on my x if it was shifting right i would have sayed it shifted like a dream but between 750 and 800 miles something went wrong and now like 50% of every one elss it is some where between grinding and notchy i wonder if most of the shops are putting the same amount of miles on there evos or if most of them are in a shop beeing fitted for new parts and the next dyno run
Old Apr 19, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I don't think that mitsu is really doing anything about this. I called and complained with corporate a third time and they keep telling me that my case was already closed and needs to be reopened. I say, "why was the case closed, there was never any resolution?" I get no answer and have to leave a message with Ken, the service claims manager with mitsu corporate, and the guy won't even return my message. He's pretty much blowing me off and hoping that I'll just go away. I'm glad that I spent 35k on a car that has problems that mitsu doesn't care enough to fix.
If this continues and they don't do anything about it, I guess we could do a lemon law on this.
My sister had an altima with similar problems that nissan didn't care to fix, after year she had enough and just got a lawyer and forced nissan to buy the car back for the full price.
If they don't fix this grinding issue soon then thats what I'm going to do.
just make sure you take it to the dealer a lot and have it on record.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 03:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsimon27
i have a question for all you guys that own a x...
how come bushur racing dynoflash ams vishnu and all the rest of the vendors on this forum dont complain about the gearbox being notchy?
is it that you guys cant drive?
Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the helpful post.

On a serious note, my VIII and IX, and every other VIII and IX I have driven over the years (read: lots) went into second and third like butter.

i had on my 8 a notchy transmision but it was only when it was cold outside or when i burned the clutch cause of drag racing but the solution to my problem was i adjusted the clutch pedal and that solved the problem for me.
We don't have clutch pedal adjustment like the CT9A cars did. Now you know.

For as many Mitsu employees that are reading these forums, it would be really nice if we could get some actual feedback and acknowledgement rather than only watching in the background. Might to even help make more sales to know you care.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

My X tranny is a bit notchy but I guess it doesn't bother me all that much because compared to my tC transmission the X feels like a friggin automatic! hahaha ... seriously the tC was very clunky to shift.

I sure hope that something can be done to smooth out the shifts
Old Apr 19, 2008, 04:31 PM

I'm meeting with a Mitsu area service manager this coming week. I've already been to the dealer 3 times for this issue.

Quick Reply: The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread