Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EVO X Transmission Problem POLL
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (all the time)
40.07%
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (only when car is cold)
37.62%
Difficult to engage Reverse gear (cold or warm)
8.50%
No problems at all
13.80%
Voters: 1717. You may not vote on this poll

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
700 miles shifting like butter coming from HONDA
Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems here
Old Mar 20, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by t8kdown
No problems here

then go away!!! so mitsu doesn't see you hahahaahha we want them to olny see the bad clutches hahhaha
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:13 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Over 75% polled with issues so far.

Please vote in this poll, even if you have no notchiness and your tranny is perfect. We want to hear from everyone!
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:15 AM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im going to a meeting in 10 minutes -- I will ask my Mitsubishi service manager if they are seeing any problems with these yet.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:38 AM

ask him for an overdrive too would ya
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Keep on voting. I am proabably going to send this to mitsu in a week or so.

Thank you.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

I think that it's just a fluid issue, and that mitsu needs to test a different fluid that is more synchro friendly, and then put it out as a TSB, and then that'll be it. That is my guess, as I have a hard time believing that it's a mechanical issue. Every tuning company that has taken apart the transmission has said that it looks very beefy and well made. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I really think it's just a fluid issue, with the stock fluid not being a good choice by mitsu. Fingers crossed...
Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I think that it's just a fluid issue, and that mitsu needs to test a different fluid that is more synchro friendly, and then put it out as a TSB, and then that'll be it. That is my guess, as I have a hard time believing that it's a mechanical issue. Every tuning company that has taken apart the transmission has said that it looks very beefy and well made. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I really think it's just a fluid issue, with the stock fluid not being a good choice by mitsu. Fingers crossed...
Lets say that it is a fluid issue...will the grinding and the notchy feeling cause any problems in the long run if we continue to drive like this?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:27 PM

transmission

I have a graphite evo purchased in ohio, it had 1143 miles when it needed a new tranny. It started with the notchy shifting, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, occassionaly 4th. I was told, they were confident that it was NOT hurting my car. And then went straight to sounded like it was falling apart. It scraped from gear to gear like there was NO clutch at all. As a woman driver, and it didn't matter what freakin gear, it was like I didn't know how to drive. They replaced my transmission. Now Im notchy again, when I picked it up Tuesday, I asked if it was fixed, I was told it wasn't doing anything now that it didn't do prior to needing a tranny. I told them that I was almost positive it would be coming back, cause they couldn't tell me now the notchy wasnt doing anything to my car! Good luck all, I am sincerely disappointed.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blanknotice
I'm not sure if anyone else experiences it, but every once in a while (cold or warm, doesn't matter) reverse won't engage. I had the same problem in my turbo'd tc, but putting it in 4th before putting it in reverse always solved the problem. I actually have to let the clutch out a little bit and let it catch slightly before it will go in. I try putting it in all the gears before trying to put it in reverse and sometimes that won't even work. Anybody else having that issue? It's probably happened 3 times and I have 650 miles on my X.
Try pumping the clutch pedal twice before attempting the engagement... my wifes mazda requires this.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tinkerbellevo
I have a graphite evo purchased in ohio, it had 1143 miles when it needed a new tranny. It started with the notchy shifting, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, occassionaly 4th. I was told, they were confident that it was NOT hurting my car. And then went straight to sounded like it was falling apart. It scraped from gear to gear like there was NO clutch at all. As a woman driver, and it didn't matter what freakin gear, it was like I didn't know how to drive. They replaced my transmission. Now Im notchy again, when I picked it up Tuesday, I asked if it was fixed, I was told it wasn't doing anything now that it didn't do prior to needing a tranny. I told them that I was almost positive it would be coming back, cause they couldn't tell me now the notchy wasnt doing anything to my car! Good luck all, I am sincerely disappointed.
Are you saying that you have already had the tranny replaced in your X?! What was damaged by the notchiness. Was it the synchros, the gears, what? Did they replace the entire tranny and transfer case, or what? That's ridiculous. I kinda feel like my notchiness is getting better, but that makes me worry. Did they at least figure out what is causing the problem?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

my 2-3 is a lil notchy
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I voted notchy all the time but, with a little over 1k miles it is MOSTLY gone... One in about every 12-15 shifts.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:23 PM

1100 miles and still notchy as ever.

Quick Reply: The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread