Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EVO X Transmission Problem POLL
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (all the time)
40.07%
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (only when car is cold)
37.62%
Difficult to engage Reverse gear (cold or warm)
8.50%
No problems at all
13.80%
Voters: 1717. You may not vote on this poll

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the same problem with a stage 2 trans from Jack's trans going from 1st to 2nd an then 3rd back to second but if I wait an extra second or two it won't make any noise. Any info would be great.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did a drive train fluid change and installed a front motor mount today.
Motor mount seems to have helped.
my car shifts fine most of the time., but if I don't drive smooth( shift the car balance too much) then I do grind here and there. It feels like the engine might have moved too much during transition like that.
I think front motor mount somewhat cures that.
The following users liked this post:
Kyle Berger (Jan 18, 2017)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 07:40 PM

Even a stock 14 evo x my little brothers is doing it as well.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The does not have a reverse gear it uses first and third to achieve reverse. Always stick it in third then attempt reverse
Old Jan 23, 2017, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I guess I can pitch in. 2008 GSR, original factory transmission with 140k miles. I got it taken apart, as I wanted to get the diff pins upgraded. The transmission was a bit notchy when cold, but once warmed up it shifts great. When first firing up it didn't really wanna go into gear, but, once I waited a minute it would shift. Only issue I had was high RPM shifts into 3rd. It would sometimes either grind a little or completely not go in if shifting fast, and my trans guy that has it apart said it's the shift fork and pin that are worn. So along with the diff pins he's going to be replacing those as well. Otherwise, he says the transmission is all within spec and looks great internally even considering the high mileage.

I find the X transmission to be far better than the transmissions Mitsu was using in the DSMs. I really like the way it feels and shifts. I will update once the trans and engine are back in the car and I get some more miles on the new fork & pin, see how 3rd acts.
The following users liked this post:
EvoTillIDie (May 13, 2020)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 04:56 PM

2011 evo gsr clutch kit

Hey everyone I was wondering which is the best site to order a clutch kit for my evo in Canada ? I was looking for a stage 2 act clutch since my clutch is starting to go . Also , is the stock flywheel
compatible with this clutch ?

Last edited by Dillon Ford; Mar 29, 2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 10, 2017, 05:33 AM

Fixed with new rear differential!

Originally Posted by shanezt
by issue you are speaking of the 2-3 shift? mine has it pretty bad but it is well worth it as it shifts smooth as hell at high rpm.
I don't know how old is thread is overall I know when I got my Evo it was notchy and clunky until fully warmed up. I brought into the dealer, they did a new rear differential and it's now shifts smooth as butter through every gear whether it's cold or hot. A whole new driving experience. I'd recommend some of you guys getting it checked out!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PriusRepellent
I am notchy from 1-2, and grinds from 2-3.

2014 with only 13,000 miles on it and I have NEVER abused the car.

This is ridiculous that the X has been out for 7 years and every single year has transmission problems. I don't know why Mitsu isn't doing anything about this especially when (im pretty damn sure) they saw this thread + all the complaints going to them.

One assumption is that in order for them to do anything to solve this problem, they would have to recall EVERY SINGLE EVO out there from 2008 and up who have a problem and fix the transmissions on their own expense.
This would probably make them bankrupt so that's why they are dodging the problem and pushing it aside, and having their reps say that its "normal".

35k car with a ****ty interior, a small *** trunk, a ****ty sound system, **** rattling everywhere, and we cant even have a transmission without issues. ffs sometimes I want to drive the car into all wall and go buy an STI.

Just make sure you are on facebook live so we can all get a laugh
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:08 AM

I have a Final Edition from Aus and at first it was clunky when shifting into 3rd, So Mitsubishi have Replaced the Gearbox and also the shifter assembly and made it worse !!! Now 2nd and 3rd grind/grate it has also better gearbox oils and additive but still does it and Mitsubishi now say this is normal for sports cars please help !!!!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 08:00 PM

Does anyone know if the noise some reported is coming from drive shaft or wheel bearings? Or is it that the Gearbox, and diff always the culprit?
Old May 18, 2018, 04:33 PM
NME

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Notchy

Definitely notchy, but no grinding....yet.
Old May 18, 2018, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I got a 2014 x with 6k mi about two months ago. First times driving it I’d say there was a bit of notchyness. Most likely just me since I was still getting used to the feeling of the clutch/shifting points. I’d say there’s more of a clunking sound or feeling going from 1-2 or 2-3 when cold. Even sometimes when warm but not as noticeable. Nothing really going 3-4 or 4-5. I read this can be remedied by getting better bushings and the type of oil you decide to use. E.g cocktail. Also, If grinding would happen it would be my own fault. Hope this helps!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 04:27 PM

It’s more like a grind. Reverse is almost too embarrassing sometimes