Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS EVO X Turbo kit Development

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Where at all DO you see piping in this kit?

I see a nice big, cast manifold.

A 40R is considerably more than 1200 dollars, so is a 35R usually.

Scorke
he was referring to the K series design
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Where at all DO you see piping in this kit?

I see a nice big, cast manifold.

A 40R is considerably more than 1200 dollars, so is a 35R usually.

Scorke
1. I was referring to a tubular kit (if they were to make one). A kit utilizing a cast manifold would be hundreds of dollars cheaper.

2. You can definately pay over $1200 for a 35R. Theres alot of stores retailing them for even more. But youd have to be a fool to pay over $1200. Honeywell wholesales Garrett 35R's for less than $900.

If you still dont understand. Let me say it in laymans terms. You can find a GT35R for about $1200 if you shop around. People like you make shops like AMS rich.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cpunlamd
The long tube headers that place the turbo to the side is a much better design. Why try to cram it between the block and the firewall?

Regarding the price, $3999 should be more than enough for a 35R/40R kit. Its just pipes (schedule 10 i hope) and a $1200 Garrett turbo for crying out loud.
'Better' for what? I could argue that the long header is worse; less durable, probably weighs more, WILL place the heavy turbo off to the side of the car and farther up front screwing up the weight distribution and increasing the polar moment of inertia. Also, there's not much space on that side of the engine bay making the piping of the downpipe tricky. Heck, maybe whatever gains you got by the manifold design may be lost by compromises in the longer downpipe. Oh yeah, doing the oil and water lines (mainly oil drain) will be more difficult.

As for the price of the turbo, people have to make money. If everyone sold near 'wholesale', they'd probably all go out of business.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
'Better' for what? I could argue that the long header is worse; less durable, probably weighs more, WILL place the heavy turbo off to the side of the car and farther up front screwing up the weight distribution and increasing the polar moment of inertia. Also, there's not much space on that side of the engine bay making the piping of the downpipe tricky. Heck, maybe whatever gains you got by the manifold design may be lost by compromises in the longer downpipe. Oh yeah, doing the oil and water lines (mainly oil drain) will be more difficult.

As for the price of the turbo, people have to make money. If everyone sold near 'wholesale', they'd probably all go out of business.
On every single k-series application it has made more power, had better efficiency, and flowed much better. I doubt it would mess with the weight distribution too much. That's like saying you can't ride with passengers, or drive a car if you're fat.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:10 PM
Account Disabled

How many of you have had a X torn apart and tried to fit a turbo in there? There is 10x more room between the engine/firewall than there is over the tranny.

It makes no sense in this application to put the turbo there when there is more than enough room behind the engine.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

also you must be blind it may be cast but its surly no log manifold, its more of a header than a manifold by far. it being cast makes for a much better design for flow.

this kit looks solid. to bad it takes so long to get a cast part in production.

props to AMS for raising the bar for the evo world... again
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jesse@afiturbo.com
How many of you have had a X torn apart and tried to fit a turbo in there? There is 10x more room between the engine/firewall than there is over the tranny.

It makes no sense in this application to put the turbo there when there is more than enough room behind the engine.
thats fair, but i'd rather see a top mount
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anymore news? Pics? Throw us a bone!!!!! Just can't take these prototype teaser stuff!!!!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
Anymore news? Pics? Throw us a bone!!!!! Just can't take these prototype teaser stuff!!!!

true, i can't wait to see some pics!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Hahaha we have a prototype kit running right now for durability. This is using a Tubular manifold not a cast as the cast header takes a while to get back from casting.

So far the results are GREAT! At only just over 25psi with a bone stock long block (stock head studs, cams…everything) the car is making almost 500whp on 100oct. 100 octane was used to create a nice safety margin since the 4B11 is relatively uncharted at these levels.

Still with a simple tubular header and not our much nicer cast version the car is making CRAZY HP with just simple bolt on AMS Parts.

Did I mention an EVO X with close 500whp on a 30R is RIDICULOUSLY FUN TO DRIVE!!!!

Eric
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports

Did I mention an EVO X with close 500whp on a 30R is RIDICULOUSLY FUN TO DRIVE!!!!

Eric

i think you should send me that car so i can test that theory out
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Hahaha we have a prototype kit running right now for durability. This is using a Tubular manifold not a cast as the cast header takes a while to get back from casting.

So far the results are GREAT! At only just over 25psi with a bone stock long block (stock head studs, cams…everything) the car is making almost 500whp on 100oct. 100 octane was used to create a nice safety margin since the 4B11 is relatively uncharted at these levels.

Still with a simple tubular header and not our much nicer cast version the car is making CRAZY HP with just simple bolt on AMS Parts.

Eric
Is this close to the 3076r I bought from you guys on my IX MR. Similar turbo? Dam just go ahead and send me one of those kits will ya.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Eric
i hate you guys damn
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fullracehonda

i think you should send me that car so i can test that theory out
HAHAHA SUUUURE, Check you mailbox next week

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
Is this close to the 3076r I bought from you guys on my IX MR. Similar turbo? Dam just go ahead and send me one of those kits will ya.
The very same, only using the new V-band housing as outlined in this thread

Originally Posted by hks-evo
i hate you guys damn
HAHAHA yeah, Its one hell of a car!

Eric
Old Aug 8, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

What kind of 30R is it???

I think you should post a VID Eric

Quick Reply: AMS EVO X Turbo kit Development