Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR power capabilities

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm sitting at over 300ft/lb trq in my MR and i have not noticed any thing wrong so far. i know it's not 450 that your looking for but personally i don't think there will be an issue after a clutch pack. i just don't want to be the a$$hole to break it. just like everyone else. but if somebody does get the ***** to push theirs. especially with cams and ignitions starting to be released... i will gladly watch and learn.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

It's not jsut about the trans holding power or not, it's also about the software keeping up with the added power, and shifting correctly. Jacking up the shift mapping was the first problem I heard about when adding power to the MR. If this happens, you can imagine what a useless pile you'd have. Someone posted on here (can't remember which sub-section) about hacking into the ECU, and seeing the code for the shift programming. I dunno if it was true or not, but once you break the code, you still need to be able to program correctly, and know when and how to do it. I mean, say you added 50hp to your car. What's that do to the shift map? What do you change? Once you figure that out, I would imagine you'd need to figure out at what power levels you need to change it, and what to change it to..? Seems like a mighty tall task to me, but there's also a lot of very smart people out there. I personally couldn't wait for it all to get worked out, so I got a 5-speed. I leased it for two years, just in case they have it figured out by then. I'd like to know how fast say a 450hp MR could get around the track with the thing shifting for you, and doing it infinitely faster and better than you could with a manual trans. It'd be like driving an F1 car (albeit without the power, and handling, and all the money they pay you)
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are right about the SST shift maps. For any given torque range there must be some kind of static value to indicate which gear to use, also taking into consideration the other variables such as RPM, engine load, Gs, throttle position, steering angle etc. I suspect that if you modify the engine and the torque is increased, but at a higher RPM, you will have to adjust the SST maps.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by lowkey
I think you are right about the SST shift maps. For any given torque range there must be some kind of static value to indicate which gear to use, also taking into consideration the other variables such as RPM, engine load, Gs, throttle position, steering angle etc. I suspect that if you modify the engine and the torque is increased, but at a higher RPM, you will have to adjust the SST maps.
Remember.... you can always use the paddles to shift when you please! So in a worst case scenario you'll have to tap a paddle.

I have an MR and I think you guys are giving to much credit to Mitsubishi on how intelligent the computer is when it comes to shifting. I just tracked the car all weekend and the car keeps itself in a high rpm to redline... So as long as you dont tune your car outside of that 3500-7000rpm power band, then shouldn't it be good? Driving around the MR daily Im thinking mitsu just has preset shift points, like 2800rpm per gear, the second you hit that, it shifts. And when you switch modes it merely changes the preset rpm shift points.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

The SST goes much further than that, which is what makes it as good as it is (in stock form). It takes into account throttle position, gear, and possibly info regarding the car's telemetry. Only Mitsu knows how many algorithims the ECU has programmed into it, to ensure the trans shifts(up or down) the milisecond it needs to, and don't forget about it blipping the throttle on it's own under back-shifting.
If it simply shifted to "X" at a given rpm, it would be no different from a 1950's era auto. They did it through line pressure and valving.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:16 AM

SST downshift and upshift maps from the mitsu tech info site, they are also in the X manual .pdf file.

Old Oct 6, 2008, 06:41 PM

^^ +1 Great Info!!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

It will be cracked. If it ever got to the point that the aftermarket developers could no longer crack factory ecu's (or tcu's for that matter) it would spell disaster for the whole industry. Tuning for bolt on's, and mods is what drives the market. Sure you could just bolt on parts, but look how much power, drivability, and reliabilty, would be left on the table.

In the meantime I will just safely enjoy an additional 75/75 at the wheels with minor bolt ons and a mild tune. Still tons of fun! Although the miserable launches that result in 2.10 60' times is definitely a let down!

Last edited by Wizard_of_Evo; Oct 6, 2008 at 08:05 PM.