Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What are the advantage and disadvantage of a light weight flywheel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dwayne624
I put in the lightest ACT flywheel (Pro Light - 11 or so lbs.) along with the ACT 6 puck sprung clutch. The weight difference is not much between stock and the ACT part as a previous poster said.

It feels great and the only issue I have driving on the street is how hard and fast the clutch grabs over the stock unit. If I had to break down why I have to tap the gas lightly before taking off i would say its 95% due to the ACT clutch grabbing harder and 5% due to the lighter flywheel.

Once you put a setup in like this you will notice a slight increase in how fast the motor revs but don't expect any amazing gains since there is no huge difference in weights. After putting about 300 miles on my clutch I have no issues (50% due to me learning how to drive with it and 50% due to it breaking in.) I would say if you are going to put a new clutch in, go ahead and put the lighter flywheel in too. I have no regrets from doing it and I was really worried before putting it in!

Hey thanks for the review i am gunna go with clutch master light weight flywheel 12lbs
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're considering getting a lightweight flywheel, I recommend you consider Fidanza for the following reasons:

1. Lightest possible. Between 9.5-10 lb, depending on where you get the quoted weight. Fidanza themselves sez 9.5 pounds for part #161921 for the Evo:

http://www.fidanza.com/files/Fidanza06_07appguide.xls

2. Replaceable friction surface. No steel billet flywheel can offer that (aside from Fidanza's own steel flywheels, but that option doesn't save any weight).

3. An aluminum lightweight flywheel serves as a better heatsink to get rid of heat better than a lightweight steel flywheel with a bunch of holes drilled thru it. It's nearly impossible to warp a Fidanza aluminum flywheel, but warping a steel lightweight flywheel with repeated launches at the drag strip is not unheard of.

4. In my experience, Fidanza provides incredible customer service. I've bought three Fidanza flywheels (two new, one used). On one of the new ones, it was severely damaged because the flywheel came loose due to crappy work/insufficient torquing of the flywheel bolts by a shop. Fidanza replaced it for me no charge, even though there was absolutely no fault on their part or their manufacturing.

On the used flywheel, I sent it in to them to have them replace the friction surface. They sent it back, totally refurbished, at no charge. I told them I bought it used, and that I had no receipt for it. They didn't care.

Now, that was several years ago, and of course I can't guarantee their warranty policies are still so liberal. But for me: I'm motivated to continue giving them my business (and give them a little free marketing, obviously).

Their new clutch kits might warrant consideration too:

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/article.php?id=97

Also, on their home page, you can watch a video that gives you a lot of good information about different clutch materials, pros and cons of light flywheels, etc:

http://www.fidanza.com/
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Oops, didn't realize this thread was in the "Evo X" forums... here's a vendor selling a Fidanza flywheel for the X:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...flywheels.html

Last edited by EGbeater; Jan 31, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: new info