Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much power can the 4B11 handle.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I heard one case, but seems to me that was the result of money shifting.
Although the owner denies it.... What a surprise.

I id not have info or anything, power related engine failure so far.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I blew my engine 6 months ago. Hole in the block, etc, etc. 30 P.S.I. boost spike (via a Greddy Profec B spec EBC). first gear, 4000rpm, BOOM. Mods: Downpipe, high flow cat, UR CAI, AMS UICP, waste gate wound all the way in, Mitsubishi reflash. Also, I had HUGE problems with the fuel in the oil before it blew up. Too much power, no, but it goes to show that if you aren't careful you will be buying a new motor like me.

AMS, hurry up and release the info on the sleeved block, this is what I've been waiting for.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, and yes the fuel in oil problem is a big problem. I am willing to bet that this happened because you weren't running any engine management other than an electronic boost controller with lots of boost, and were most likely running way too lean and too much timing. Sucks though bro, I feel for ya. Good luck on your new build, and keep us posted on the results.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:07 AM

Engine knock, coupled with poor lubrication caused a rod bearing to sieze and I snapped a connecting rod and it blew a hole out of the back of the block. I had an AEM Alchohol/water kit on the car but it wasn't working at the time. Also, as my car sat in limbo while Mitsubishi was denying my waranty claim, my Buschur racing exhaust and intercooler showed up, it would have been nice to have these parts on prior to the excessive boost....
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:14 AM

One more thing. As stupid as this sounds, I'm glad it happened. I've learned alot about how far to push boosting a motor on pump gas and I now have a greater appreciation for how carefully many vendors on this site pursue their goals for achieving max power from the 4b11t without grenading them in the process. Lesson learned.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xcited
I blew my engine 6 months ago. Hole in the block, etc, etc. 30 P.S.I. boost spike (via a Greddy Profec B spec EBC). first gear, 4000rpm, BOOM. Mods: Downpipe, high flow cat, UR CAI, AMS UICP, waste gate wound all the way in, Mitsubishi reflash. Also, I had HUGE problems with the fuel in the oil before it blew up. Too much power, no, but it goes to show that if you aren't careful you will be buying a new motor like me.

AMS, hurry up and release the info on the sleeved block, this is what I've been waiting for.
sorry to hear this, but thanks for the heads up .
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xcited
One more thing. As stupid as this sounds, I'm glad it happened. I've learned alot about how far to push boosting a motor on pump gas and I now have a greater appreciation for how carefully many vendors on this site pursue their goals for achieving max power from the 4b11t without grenading them in the process. Lesson learned.
who tuned your car, if i can ask such a question?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The 4b11 is looking damn good to me as of the last few weeks.

Our EVOX just put down 407 whp and 341 ft lbs on our dyno. Everyone knows how low our dyno reads, this was also a run done in 3rd gear. I didn't post the 4th gear run I did simply because I have been doing all the runs in 3rd gear and didn't want to misrepresent the gains the car had. In 4th gear the car put down 420 whp.

Keep in mind this is with boost leves still in the stock range, 24.7 psi is all I was running on straight 93-94 octane fuel.

Currently the 407 whp the car made is higher than ANY EVO8 or EVO9 I have ever made on a stock ECU on pump gas on our dyno. That is impressive.

The car shows no signs of having any valve control issues from the springs being "weak". I've got the revlimiter in our car set at 7700 rpm. The car pulls so hard up to that point that you do not want to shift.

I have heard of a few blown EVO X engines. The few I have heard of were from an over-rev doing from a higher gear to a lower gear at redline by mistake.

The factory EVOX rods are an impressive piece, much heavier duty than the EVO8-9 rods.

The factory pistons, to look at it, appears to be about the same strenth as the EVO8-9. (yes, I know judging how strong a piston is by looking isn't doing much).

My guess is the factory short block is going to hold up quite well. The rods will hold up better than the EVO8-9's too which I considered safe up to about 500 whp on our dyno as long as the RPM was limited to 7500 rpm or so.

The piston is what I think will fail first as the HP and RPM is pushed, I believe it will probably pull apart in the pin area when it fails. Similar to the same thing we see in stock EVO8-9 failures.

Making power with this car is MUCH easier than I thought possible. 407 whp is 124+ trap speeds and it's being done at factory peak boost levels and on pump gas.

We have rods/pistons for the EVOX and have sold quite a few sets. There are guys either building them first or fixing them when the break. We've gone through our first entire batch of standard bore and .020 bore pistons.

I would personally like to see how far we can go on the stock parts it is the best way to make good suggestions for our customers in the future.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Always informative Dave.. Much better response than you typicaly get on some of these threads. I expected to see an "Eleventy Billion" Post from someone.

In response, Like you've heard there is alot of dynamics that go into blowing a motor. Typically when tuned properly or in stock form its quite hard to break an engine like the 4b11. I would be very comfortable running 450awp tuned by one of the big shops or my local tuner here in wisconsin. Due to the nature of the question it doesn't seem like you're shooting for any world records. So I feel its safe to assume that 450awhp would keep you busy for a while. ( sorry if assumption is wrong) Generally if you've been in the game a little bit, you learn quickly that if you start hunting for those big traps and low et's you're going to end up building/fixing alot of stuff. Goodluck!!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
who tuned your car, if i can ask such a question?
He just has the mitsu reflash I think's
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hopper
He just has the mitsu reflash I think's
so then with a Mitsu reflash
he runs like 30 psi spike and who knows what boost level,
No meth or alky at that time so straight pump gas...
-downpipe
-HFC
-CAI
-UICP
-wastgate oem wound all the way in ...
- i dont know the rest of it maybe exhaust too? SInce too much mod, and no exhaust yet it would be kinda unique, but in this case nothing is impossible..

If this is true , i wonder why he blow the engine ....

Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=STi2EvoX;6518054]Depending on the dyno, 400-450 is PLENTY for the street, and track for that matter, for most people. Unless you are building a drag car and trying to run 9 second passes, there's not really any need to run any more power than that. I think it's funny though, all the 4g63 fans talk about how the 4g63 can handle like 1000 hp and they talk down on the 4b11 when they themselves are only making like 350 whp, which is well below what the 4b11 can handle on the stock long block.

Hell, if you want to get technical, the 4b11 seems to handle more power on stock internals than the 4g63 does, so there's another aspect to consider. Going back to the OP's question though, I have personally heard rumors of a couple blown 4b11s, and surprisingly enough, at power levels far below what other companies are pushing this thing to which to me, implies tuner error. The 4b11 loves to rev, thanks to it's square bore and stroke, and seems to handle surprisingly lean A/F ratios and lots of timing.

But, when you've got a car that has soft valve springs, raising the rev limiter to 8k and running it **** lean with lots of timing is just stupid and asking for trouble, and if you pop a 4b11 doing this, you have no one else to blame but yourself. It's like some kid running a 300 shot of nos into his civic and then blaming the car when it blows. In any case, I would say that with a proper tune and supporting mods, I think the 4b11 will be perfectly reliable at 450 whp on a dyno jet, 400 mustang/dyno dynamics.

Even though AGP and vivid have pushed the 500 mark, I wouldn't trust it for very long. The 4b11 is a great engine, but c'mon, you guys have to be realistic. Hell, AMS has been running like 450+ whp on their X and have chosen to build the block before going past that, so they clearly feel that they are about at the limits and want to take precautionary measures before raising power levels any higher. I trust AMS, and if that's what they're doing, then that's what I'll go by.

wow man you should search before you post such an in depth response. see link below AMS seems to be the leading tuner, id stray far from what they do to their own shop cars

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lock-club.html
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

evol2003, I clicked the link, the link appears to me to be referring to the EVO8-9's. Everyone knows the EVO8-9 will make 500+ whp on the stock block. I didn't review that entire thread but I didn't see an 500+ whp EVOX's which is what this thread is about. As for who is the leading tuner.............
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
evol2003, I clicked the link, the link appears to me to be referring to the EVO8-9's. Everyone knows the EVO8-9 will make 500+ whp on the stock block. I didn't review that entire thread but I didn't see an 500+ whp EVOX's which is what this thread is about. As for who is the leading tuner.............
mr buschur, i was responding to
STi2EvoX post. see bolded words in my 1st post.
forgive me as i do relize what you and your team have done for the dsm/evo community. let me rephrase my original tuner quote, AMS and BUSCHAR are the standard! AMS just happens to be local for me
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I misunderstood from the link you posted. I need to read more and type less sometimes! haha

Quick Reply: How much power can the 4B11 handle.....