Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who has the "Harman Motive" Intake?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo Andy
ps:I see you removed the factory inlet (review photo) and now added the "AMS" shield.I will use the inlet,why did you change it?
The factory inlet only works with a sealed airbox. It's not a "ram air" inlet like some people think. There's no air inlet on the outside of the bumper or hood that leads to the factory inlet, it sucks air from the hole in the radiator panel. So when using an open filter, that inlet does absolutely nothing.

Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo Andy
I just ordered mine about 5 min ago. I read your review and the pix you posted finally made get off my A$$ and order it.They are now back in stock and i'll have it next week.

ps:I see you removed the factory inlet (review photo) and now added the "AMS" shield.I will use the inlet,why did you change it?

-Andy
ScottSpeed21 basically explain it perfectly. Although I never had any issue while my AC was on I decided to put the AMS shield on anyway because it just looks so much nicer than having the inlet there.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

^ Yeah same here, I've never had any idle issues with an open filter, and I don't have a shield either.

Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
^ Yeah same here, I've never had any idle issues with an open filter, and I don't have a shield either.
Have you driven the car in the summer time yet in 90+ degrees? Wondering if an idle issue hasn't been noticed yet because it hasn't gotten hot enough yet?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, but today it was 80° and it acted normal like usual. I'm not really an A/C guy anyways, I'd rather have the windows open than waste the gas, so my A/C fan won't be on. It gets pretty warm here, but not unbearably hot since we get all the air that comes off Lake Erie, so A/C isn't too much of a necessity for me.

I'll have to try turning on the A/C a couple times to see what happens and if I get the rough idle.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Apr 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Please do SS, because I want this intake also
Old Apr 25, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I just went out and started up the car and turned on the A/C. As soon as I heard the fan kick on, it started to idle pretty rough. Nothing a shield can't fix, or not using the A/C

Ultimateone, there's no reason you wouldn't be able to get the AMS intake. It comes with a shield to fix the idle issue. I've been very happy with mine

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Apr 25, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

No kidding it started to idle rough as soon as you put it on huh? How come not every company tells us about this issue other than Buschur?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

If harmon motive offered this intake in a black finish like AMS or nesei i would buy it in a heartbeat...but Ill probably end up going with the AMS intake, although the price is a bit steep.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ultimateone
No kidding it started to idle rough as soon as you put it on huh? How come not every company tells us about this issue other than Buschur?
Yep, literally as soon as I turned the knob and pushed the A/C button, the fan kicked on and the idle went rough right away.
Originally Posted by accrane
If harmon motive offered this intake in a black finish like AMS or nesei i would buy it in a heartbeat...but Ill probably end up going with the AMS intake, although the price is a bit steep.
Nothing a little paint can't fix My AMS intake was bare aluminum and Nisei intercooler pipes were gloss black. I painted them all flat black so they'd all match, instead of having different shades of black.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Apr 26, 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Regards to your comment with the "rough idle."
Its possible there was still excess fuel in the system before the switch of intakes so it was temporarily rough & smoothed out as Scott stated. We've never had an issues with our intake as it is used on both street customers as well as high horsepower track vehicles. If you have any issues feel free to contact us as we always look forward to assisting our customers & helping you with any questions & concerns. Thank You.

Thank You,
HM

HARMAN MOTIVE EVO X Intakes In Stock & FREE GROUND SHIPPING THIS MONTH!
$224.99 PLUS TAX.
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS, DYNO, & TO ORDER

Intake Features:
On an otherwise 100% STOCK car (no MBC, no exhaust, nothing), our intake gained 42lb/ft of torque @ 4000rpm and 20whp @ 5700rpm. When combined with the Harman Motive UICP (upper intercooler pipe) and turboback exhaust system w/ MBC, gains of 60+ WHP are available.

Our intake pipe goes from the filter all the way to the turbo replacing the restrictive stock rubber piece. Unlike many aftermarket intakes, our pipe is a single mandrel bent piece with no welding for the smoothest possible flow and clean looks.

The Harman Motive Evo X Intake System completely relocates the BPV (bypass valve) to the front of the engine bay. This allows a much smoother path for the return and eliminates the long factory BPV hose. The end result is better performance, less turbulence, and better looks.

Our intake includes the breather and boost solenoid bungs at no additional cost for the cleanest and most effective install.

Old May 21, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Harman Motive
Regards to your comment with the "rough idle."
Its possible there was still excess fuel in the system before the switch of intakes so it was temporarily rough & smoothed out as Scott stated. We've never had an issues with our intake as it is used on both street customers as well as high horsepower track vehicles. If you have any issues feel free to contact us as we always look forward to assisting our customers & helping you with any questions & concerns. Thank You.

Thank You,
HM
The rough idle only happens when the A/C is switched on. The A/C fan blows air directly into the filter and onto the MAF sensor causing a rough/erratic idle, and it's only the idle that is affected, the car still drives just fine. When the A/C fan is off, the engine idles perfectly. I don't think it's only one intake that does this, it's any intake that uses an open element air filter. That's why some intakes have filter shields available, to block the hot air from the A/C fan from directly entering the filter and causing the rough idle.

I very rarely ever use A/C, so I have no problem with an open element filter without a shield. The people that like using A/C all the time would most likely have the rough idle issue without an air filter shield.
Old May 21, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

I believe it was happening to most of the open-cone intakes. Several companies have now come out with shields. The AMS intake used to not come with the shield, now it does. They also sell just the shield. Buschur also has a heat shield for their intake.
Old May 21, 2009, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sbdemon
I believe it was happening to most of the open-cone intakes. Several companies have now come out with shields. The AMS intake used to not come with the shield, now it does. They also sell just the shield. Buschur also has a heat shield for their intake.
Harman Motive also offers a heatshield for our EVO X intake.
Made from precision bent steel and powdercoated black for good looks and long life, the Harman airbox significantly reduces intake air temps and uses the stock air scoop.
Easy to install, the airbox includes vibration dampers and complete instructions. Unlike traditional cold air intakes, our airbox keeps your filter away from dirt and water.

Currently For Sale for $149.00 plus Tax & Shipping

CLICK HERE TO ORDER
Old May 21, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, pic looked similar to AEM for a sec.

Quick Reply: Who has the "Harman Motive" Intake?