Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MACH3EVO
HKS turbos are made by HKS not garrett, HKS make their turbos in house.
That's actually a good selling point. Some of the worst turbochargers have been by Garrett and now that Honeywell owns them I would even be more afraid. There's a reason many OEM's don't use Garrett anymore and it's because they put out too many crappy turbochargers like the T25 that couldn't last past the warranty periods without being replaced. Most of the OEM turbochargers these days are made by either MHI or Borg Warner.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We shouldnt be fighting over the companies, instead we should be looking at spool times, and power gains with a very expensive upgrade that probably wont be worth the money looking for a big difference.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:16 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by flyguycfi

What do you have against AMS? I have none of their parts but here is a link to an example of how well they to the whole R&D thing. Look a few pics down. How many other shops use CAD to make automotive "tuner" parts with such detail?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/au...0whp-gain.html

MADE IN AMERICA! (mostly )
i don't have anything against AMS. to say that they're second to none in R&D is being naive. there's no secret that HKS puts insane effort and money into R&D, they've been around for years and years. just look at their new HKS Time Attack X.

made in america? lol, go buy a mustang then. this car is 100% made in japan.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

fp ftw....
Old May 25, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

This is the best turbo upgrade kit available yet, period.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I like how you just finished this thread LVSBB6 lol.
HKS has access to cars way before AMS could get one especially since the evo was released in Japan first. They are a huge international company so not to say that they are better than AMS or anyone, but at least they are expected to be, since they have the money, products, people etc.
Also the comment on "this is a japanease car...etc etc" I read somewhere that the engine is made by hyndai lol! Korea FTW! lol
Old May 25, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Last year HKS made 85.5 billion yen = 900+ million dollars.

/end that discussion.

Scorke
Old May 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi

What do you have against AMS? I have none of their parts but here is a link to an example of how well they to the whole R&D thing. Look a few pics down. How many other shops use CAD to make automotive "tuner" parts with such detail?
AMS is one of the very FEW in the evo community, HKS does that and miles beyond to the entire aftermarket.

I have nothing against AMS neither should anybody on here, because they do great thigns for our community but to compare the two is like comparing a modified evo to a wrc car.

Scorke
Old May 25, 2009, 01:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by scorke
AMS is one of the very FEW in the evo community, HKS does that and miles beyond to the entire aftermarket.

I have nothing against AMS neither should anybody on here, because they do great thigns for our community but to compare the two is like comparing a modified evo to a wrc car.

Scorke
exactly. HKS is a global powerhouse. 900 million? good gracious.

comparing the two companies is like comparing Sony to Vizio. No where close.
Old May 25, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evox44
Also the comment on "this is a japanease car...etc etc" I read somewhere that the engine is made by hyndai lol! Korea FTW! lol
Mitsubishi manufactures all their engines. Hyundai may manufacture their version of the world engine in Korea but not the 4B11.
Old May 25, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

actually heavyD that' s false. If you talk to the engineers at hyundai they will tell you that they indeed designed the 4B11. Take for instance the new Genesis coupes make about the same power that the Evo's do with the same bolt-on's.

Also this whole JDM debate is getting ridiculous, buy what suits you best and keep it moving. HKS has had a time where they made ****ty turbo manifolds and not all of their parts are great. Mind you I have HKS coilovers, boost controller, exhaust, shift knob, front and rear struts etc. I also have a head that was ported in america, cams from the UK, and my intake is ARC. Let the results talk and if you cannot justify the price then find another solution.

I think AMS has the potential to be an American HKS, but they don't have the time that HKS has. Everything takes time and the only reason HKS is further than AMS is because they've had more of it. Both companies build quality parts and I don't have anything AMS on my car, but I would certainly choose their stroker-kit over HKS' because of the ability for it to be serviced. If you really want to get your monies worth go to Cosworth and have them custom design a motor for you, they build F1 cars I'm pretty sure they can whip up a built and blueprinted motor that will outlast both companies.

Last edited by Boostfiend; May 25, 2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Still waiting for picture of HKS turbo kit?
Links doesn't work
Old May 25, 2009, 02:40 PM

I personally have all HKS parts, but I would never knock the quality of US parts, I have seen the numbers they put down and they are the same IF NOT BETTER then there JDM counter parts. Personally I just like the look and I had the money at the time to pay for it. Keep in mind, everyone is the sole owner of their car and they can do what they want to it. This argument is the same as arguing muscle vs import vs tuner. No single car is better they are all different, just like these parts, they all are very high quality and they are all made by companies that do R&D, and we should be thankful for that instead we are sitting here bickering about how JDM is better the US parts. But that's my .02.

Last edited by JC7119; May 25, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hassan!
Still waiting for picture of HKS turbo kit?
Links doesn't work

http://translate.google.com/translat...ial%26hs%3DfGi
Old May 25, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
This is the best turbo upgrade kit available yet, period.
Why?

Quick Reply: HKS turbo kit