Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS turbo kit

The new HKS turbo kit,

so anyone done anything with it yet?

http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/in...e=post&id=3244

New GT3240 turbine with A/R0.73.
Boost and power drop at high rpm with stock turbine will be solved.
The turbine is mounted on stock exhaust manifold with heat proof steel adaptor.
Because of its rear side exhaust manifold layout, which heat tends to remain there,
stainless steel exhaust manifold was not selected for this application.
With heat proof steel adaptor, it enables durable and reliable mounting.
Front Pipe and Bypass Pipe are designed to be used with stock catalytic converter.
The kit can be used with other HKS products (Piping Kit, Intercooler Kit,
Racing Suction Kit etc.)
GTII Wastegate is the exhaust gas bypass valve.

seriously considering the upgrade

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/db/produc...1003-AM002.pdf
Old May 24, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I personally do not like it. You'll lose the functionality of the twin-scroll effect as that adapter just allows an open volute turbine housing to bolt up. So you're going to loose some response and spool up. I would personally either get one of the Garrett turbos or the AMS kit with the cast manifold and a GT35 if you don't care about keeping it twin scroll.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

I dont think the links work, at least not for me
Old May 24, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

yeap, link didn't work... 'bolts to stock mani'?
Old May 24, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9SVYfvEj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYcZTAAwMwA

HKS spend a fair bit in R&D plus to make this work/ perform these are running pretty low boost
Old May 24, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Because most of us on EVOm are in the US, you won't find many people willing to spend the money on the HKS turbos and kits. There are better alternatives available to us here that represent much better value and should equal or even exceed the performance.
Old May 24, 2009, 05:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Because most of us on EVOm are in the US, you won't find many people willing to spend the money on the HKS turbos and kits. There are better alternatives available to us here that represent much better value and should equal or even exceed the performance.
Eh I don't agree with that. Quality and craftsmanship wise, not many can match HKS.

What you should've said, is that many people on EVOm don't like to buy Japanese mods for their Japanese cars.
Old May 24, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by tomatoEVO
Eh I don't agree with that. Quality and craftsmanship wise, not many can match HKS.

What you should've said, is that many people on EVOm don't like to buy Japanese mods for their Japanese cars.
You certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's pretty clear there are better values available here versus HKS. People aren't stupid and have very valid reasons for choosing the other options. Of course they miss out on being "JDM" yo and I'm sure that's worth a bunch to you.

There are turbos available for the EVO X from domestic sources that are equal to HKS in both quality and craftmanship and represent much better values. If you can't find them, you're simply not looking.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
You certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's pretty clear there are better values available here versus HKS. People aren't stupid and have very valid reasons for choosing the other options. Of course they miss out on being "JDM" yo and I'm sure that's worth a bunch to you.

There are turbos available for the EVO X from domestic sources that are equal to HKS in both quality and craftmanship and represent much better values. If you can't find them, you're simply not looking.
if we're talking overall mods, then you are way offbase, about value.

there's a big difference between "HKS doesn't have the best quality" and "I don't want to spend a lot of money on quality pieces". i know what you're talking about, but you're spinning the overall concept.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I prefer AMS parts over HKS. Way easier to get the parts and the R&D done by AMS is second to none.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

I agree completely. AMS craftsmanship is well documented and the results are proven. And no I don't have their parts so there is no bias. I see no difference as far as turbo kits/components between them and HKS. I think the JDM yo stuff is nonesense but it's your money. And frankly ppl love getting a hard-on over japanese parts while turning a bling eye to the hundreds of cases where Greddy and HKS parts fail miserably. BTW machevo those vids are sweet, thank you for posting them. /End rant
Old May 24, 2009, 09:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
and the R&D done by AMS is second to none.
Old May 25, 2009, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

well heres the thing,

HKS turbos are made by HKS not garrett, HKS make their turbos in house.
2nd,
The ammount of R&D used in HKS products is pretty darn high i have been to the factory and i never have an issue with a HKS part it fits everytime.

Now i am not saying AMS is better or HKS is worse or BUSchur is better and HKS etc etc,

But i am saying i would buy Jap over a US part.

availability

and quality control.
Old May 25, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tomatoEVO

What do you have against AMS? I have none of their parts but here is a link to an example of how well they to the whole R&D thing. Look a few pics down. How many other shops use CAD to make automotive "tuner" parts with such detail?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/au...0whp-gain.html

MADE IN AMERICA! (mostly )
Old May 25, 2009, 06:14 AM
Account Disabled

Look at tomatoEVO's sig man. You guys are talking to a Brick Wall. I'll take my AMS Parts over HKS anyday......along with Buschur, STM, CBRD, JNZ, JMFab......the list is endless. You can keep your HKS parts. Oh by the way I do have an HKS Rs Intake on my Evo but that's only because I bought it for $120 shipped(used) instead of the rediculous asking price of a new one.

Last edited by Import Junky; May 25, 2009 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: HKS turbo kit