Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe with external WG on stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody has first hand knowledge of this product yet? I'll be sure to post my findings in a few weeks. I'm about to strap this bad boy to my Dom 2.0. . . Ah I hate having to be the test car. . .
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:20 PM

lol i really want this DP as well, I don't want to the guinea pig though! haha.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Mmm would like nice with a polished Tial 44mm attached to that bad boy...someone post numbers of it on a stock turbo! and or on a FP Red
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

bump this up, anyone tested or install this part yet?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

im getting rdy to order this in a day or so then back to the tunner so if noone replys i will in a few weeks
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:44 PM

I already have it. But I am doing a lot more then just this pipe. I will write up a full review with pics as soon as I'm done. My tuning appointment isn't until Oct 10th though . . .
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It would be great for someone with first hand experience to chime in. Right now I'm looking at my GT3076r with a bad internal WG as it literally got heat fatiqued and snapped off. This may be the time to look into an ATP downpipe with external WG. I think there was some concern over the twin chambers leading to a common area for about an inch of travel and then exiting the external WG as compared to the factory design of being divided right to the flapper but I doubt that will matter much. The boost will be controlled by your boost controller/boost source and not influenced by exhaust pressures hitting any flappers which is the beauty of the external design. If I go this route it should hopefully also give me less boost drop off after 7200, right now I lose 2 psi from 7200 to 8200 which is safe but not as fast if you are shifting that high.

The one thing that has me concerned is does it come with a gasket between the turbo and DP? If you use the stocker then gasses will flow around the turbo and then leak past the external into the main DP as you are spooling which would obviously be bad. I'm not sure going with no gasket would be wise either, perhaps order a gasket from ETS?

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 19, 2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
It would be great for someone with first hand experience to chime in. Right now I'm looking at my GT3076r with a bad internal WG as it literally got heat fatiqued and snapped off. This may be the time to look into an ATP downpipe with external WG. I think there was some concern over the twin chambers leading to a common area for about an inch of travel and then exiting the external WG as compared to the factory design of being divided right to the flapper but I doubt that will matter much. The boost will be controlled by your boost controller/boost source and not influenced by exhaust pressures hitting any flappers which is the beauty of the external design. If I go this route it should hopefully also give me less boost drop off after 7200, right now I lose 2 psi from 7200 to 8200 which is safe but not as fast if you are shifting that high.

The one thing that has me concerned is does it come with a gasket between the turbo and DP? If you use the stocker then gasses will flow around the turbo and then leak past the external into the main DP as you are spooling which would obviously be bad. I'm not sure going with no gasket would be wise either, perhaps order a gasket from ETS?
your not supposed to run a gasket. If the flange is thick enough, and its milled properly, you should never have an issue with leaking.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Did anyone ever purchase this thing?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 02:38 PM

Hey guys, sorry I have not had a chance to provide updates. My car has had a lot of work done over these past few months. I plan on doing a full write up with pics and everything once I get a chance.

Just a quick preview, my car made 418whp with a Dom 2 and this ATP downpipe running an open dump. I think it sounds great but I'm pretty sure I could have made the same power with a traditional internal wastegate. One thing I will say is that this external set up definitely holds boost much better then an internal gate. There is zero boost taper.

Sorry I wish I could give more but I'm at work now. Once I get some updated pics I will do a full write up on this and many other parts.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

i think HiBoost purchased this product as well..if i got it right, he is using it with an ewg..
Old Mar 2, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had great results with it so far and right now I'm using the external WG rerouted back into the Downpipe with success. I plan on getting an external Dumptube installed that will vent to atmosphere for racing situations where noise is not an issue and for that extra potential ~10 whp.