Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

High Oil Temps when Tracking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Oil Temps when Tracking

after having my camp 2 installed in my evo x sst i have been monitoring my oil temps quite closely.

while tracking at the sepang f1 track in malaysia a few days ago i noticed my engine oil temps peaking at 142C/288F.

based on what i've seen from others on the forum, this temp is very high but could in part be due to the high ambient temps in my part of the world which are generally 28C+/80F+.

i'm still a newbie and am wondering if these temps are normal when tracking or whether i they are caused by the choice of oil (currently using torco sr-5 5w-30). In particular should i be using a higher weight such as 40 or 50.

also i noticed a few aftermarket oil coolers on offer for the evo x and am interested to hear from those evo x's who are running these setup how effective they have been in reducing oil temps. I am considering making the investment in an additional oil cooler but am wondering if this will be effective before taking the plunge.

btw - for those sst drivers out there, i've got a custom sst oil cooler which limited my peak sst oil temps at 88C/190F which meant no "slow down" warnings even after extended periods in super-sport mode. the only thing that made me come into the pits were the high engine oil temps and need to cool down the brakes!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you happen to remove the passenger-side air duct beside your intercooler?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

go for the blitz RD oil cooler kit , a got it on my car and it works fine .
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I would try putting a fan behind the oil cooler before doing anything else. As well as removing the driving lights
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:58 AM

I track at Sepang as well, with stock oil cooler, GSR, seldom past 120 C even !

What engine oil are you using ?
How much boost you running on track ?

Try changing to a different engine oil
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Arc oil cooler ftw!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
While I think a aftermarket oil coiler will help your situation, make sure the ducting leading up to the factory oil cooler is working as intended. They have extra air channeled from the passenger side of the FMIC over to the oil cooler but there are several gaps in the ducting leading up to the cooler that likely reduces the effect and lets the air take the path of least resistance and bypas flowing through the cooler. Small stones have also likely wedged into the back side of the cooler, I placed a fine mesh behind the slots in the wheel well as I don't want to have to clean those out again and straighten fins for a half hour. I'll have my oil ducting gaps fixed up when I'm done doing brake ducts this weekend.

Using a slightly heavier weight oil may help a bit as well, but avoiding the super high oil temps in the first place is a better bet. What kind of coolant temps are you seeing? 220 F? Likely if you upgrade to a better radiator and keep the engine cooler overall by 10-20F it will help bring down the oil temps as well. Use Redline water wetter with 60% water mix or more if you never see freezing temps which helps heat transfer even more.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
....if you upgrade to a better radiator and keep the engine cooler overall by 10-20F it will help bring down the oil temps as well. Use Redline water wetter with 60% water mix or more if you never see freezing temps which helps heat transfer even more.
This suggestion will help a ton, particularily at the track. I recomend distilled water with the water wetter to reduce mineral build up in the cooling system. Another benefit is that most of the casting sand that left in the block that is now circulating will be removed when you drain the radiator.

If you live where seasonal freezing is an issue, you should just drain and save your winter coolant (in your empty distilled water jugs maybe) and reinstall it for that time of year.

The radiator I installed in mine holds over a half gallon more coolant than the factory radiator.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 07:44 PM

update: finally made my way back to the track yesterday. now using heavier weight oil ( motul 0-40w). Temps improved only slightly but still running hot at 136C/277F.

will need to look into one of the following solns:
1. install a fan behind stock oil cooler
2. install a larger radiator
3. install a secondary oil cooler
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Where is your oil temp being monitored from on the engine? Are you 100% sure it's accurate?

I could see those kinds of temps with a turbo car with absolutely no oil cooler, but that's a bit high unless you've got some blow-by issues or your crank is about to grind itself to pieces. The Evo X with its stock cooling facilities should do much better than that...
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kuvesh
update: finally made my way back to the track yesterday. now using heavier weight oil ( motul 0-40w). Temps improved only slightly but still running hot at 136C/277F.

will need to look into one of the following solns:
1. install a fan behind stock oil cooler
2. install a larger radiator
3. install a secondary oil cooler
Hey bro,

Try fixing up the HKS oil thermostat for the X. It's only USD $65 and really helps to slow down the oil temperature increase.

If that doesn't work out for you, a HKS or Blitz oil cooler might need to be in order.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:14 PM

Hey Kuvesh, at those temps you are probably doing 5-6 laps in a row, cheap solution would be to come in a lap earlier.

I'm on hks oil cooler and you'll see 10deg lower temps on the street, haven't been back to sepang since i installed it tho.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another option to consider is any mod that increases overall oil capacity such as an oil sump system that helps maintain pressure in the turns. Increasing capacity from 5 to 7 quarts should make the entire oiling system take longer to reach the same temperature and give it more time to disipate heat. Also by keeping pressure higher during hard turning you will have better lubrications for moving parts to keep them consistantly cooler and avoiding metal to metal contact.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:46 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
try the vorshlag mod, done on the X MR.